Universal Pocket Boxing Legends (by Easy 8 Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Dec 30, 2009.

1. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    The way the guys fall down and look down on the canvas looks exactly the same as punch out. The main character looks exactly like the original arcade character. Even the "Great fighting. You're an up and coming boxer" quote is straight from the arcade game. The opponents are copys of bald bull, super macho man etc.

Im not saying its not fun and a lot of work didnt go into it, but it is a very very similar game to Nintendos arcade punchout. which isnt necessarily a bad thing considering how good that game was.

2. JamesDean69

JamesDean69 Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Just wanted to be clear that I do like this game tho. Its a lot of fun. Thanks dev.

3. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    @Sid- you've got to be quick about it, but yes you tap the "KO" icon when it comes up.

@JDean- yeah, certainly Pocket Boxer is inspired by and modeled after Punch-Out, but like you said what a great game to follow;)

Pocket Boxer is a strategic boxing blast from the past (NES to be exact) but the set of moves is fresh and the game plays like a dream. I highly recommend this game.

4. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Regular punch buttons always trigger basic punches. The pulsing KO button, when present, allows you to throw either a hook or uppercut depending on the position of your guard.

Agreed wholeheartedly on the main menu not being fat finger friendly.

Speaking of Rocky, has anyone defeated Palooka Pete, yet?

5. Negamaki

Negamaki Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2009
    I was so close to beating him... The guy is so cheap.

6. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    I've started putting together a basic strategy guide at the support page. It doesn't yet cover Pete, but one quick tip: go on offense with a left jab lead. If you try to play defense, he'll pick you apart. And yes, you need to learn how to deal with his dirty tricks.

7. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Yep, I was checking out the strategy guide today. Extra cool of you to link to it via an in-game tab.

8. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    strategy guide complete

I haven't written up spoilers/details for title defense mode, yet, but the support site now includes tips for each opponent in "The Road to the Title." It is no substitute for video, but better than nothing, and may help folk seeking to win one of the $15 gift certificates.

Good luck!

9. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    do you deserve a title shot?

Free promo codes to the first five people that state why they think they can beat this boxing game and collect one of the still-unclaimed $15 itunes gift cards. This is no time to be humble! Bring on your best smack talk and get ready to rumble. Rasta King is looking for a good challenge.

10. sam the lion

sam the lion Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Italy
    I'm really liking the game...
    At the moment I'm stuck on Kimber Slash. I actually beat him in Time Challange once but still not in the circuit. Hopefully I'll get past him soon!
    Gameplay itself is good - controls felt immediately natural and the enemies and their attack patterns feel like a nice mixture of nintendo citations and original ideas. As you play more the game you get better at beating them just like in punch out, the feeling is about the same.
    As a minor sidenote, I do think that the main menu could be organized a little better. For example, the two actual game modes are on the opposite sides of the screen and are written in two different colors. I also think the menu could use a better looking font or graphic buttons.

11. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Kimber can be tough - he likes to throws uppercuts with both hands, so it's not always easy to react by dodging in the safest direction. He's also the most aggressive opponent in the initial "Road to the Title" circuit.

Here's a detailed strategy for taking him out. Once you've unlocked him, you can practice fighting him directly from "Time Challenge."

Keep your guard up and watch his hands.

If his guard is up, duck or dodge right when he attacks. If he does a lumbering uppercut from a crouch, you can immediately retaliate and dizzy him. If he jabs, you probably won't be able to counter attack, but you won't get hurt, either.

If his guard is down, get ready for him to go berserk. He'll throw either a body blow or a series of standing uppercuts. Before he's been knocked down, he'll throw a right, left, right uppercut combination. If he's been knocked down once, he'll throw a left, right, left uppercut combination. Knowing which hand he'll punch with makes it easier to dodge the initial punch. Alternatively, you can duck his uppercuts without having to worry about which way to dodge, but are then vulnerable to being slugged by a Kimber body blow.

As mentioned, when Kimber leads with a quick standing uppercut, he'll follow up with two more standing uppercuts. You can dodge all three, then retaliate. Or if you're doing well, you can even nail him in between punches with right hooks.

An alternative (and less elegant) approach to beating him is to go on offense and work his body. Kimber is vulnerable to body blows while he's throwing uppercuts, and boy does he love throwing them.

12. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #52 Stroffolino, Jan 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
    Here's a sneak peak at new icon slated for the 1.1 update:

[​IMG]

I don't currently have plans to make updates to this game past 1.1, so if there is anything folk want, now the time to speak up.

The current change list includes:
    - Rework main menu to make fat finger friendly
    - New lite version, featuring bouts with Jersey Joe and The Behemoth
    - New application icon
    - OpenFeint support for achievements and (record ko) per-opponent leaderboards
    - new voice acting for referee speech
    - better presentation/transitiona for referee sprite in-game
    - minor bug fixes: i.e. occasionally a punch will be buffered inappropriately
    - I'll also likely be adding a secret cheat code to unlock all lockables for folk that want to see more of the game but aren't quite up to snuff with their Pocket Boxing skills, yet

13. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    This sounds fantastic, Phil:)

I very much appreciate all the hard work and effort that went into making Pocket Boxer a phenominal romp down memory lane and looks like with OpenFeint, I'll be playing indefinitely.

Best of luck and continued success, I look forward to what's next from you guys,

Richard

14. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Contest Update

The prizes I've offered to date remain unclaimed! To sweeten the pot, I'm going to increase the awards.

1. first person to win the belt by beating Rasta King in "Road to the Title" and take a screenshot will get a $25 itunes gift certificate.

2. first person to earn at least one lightning bolt for each opponent and take a screenshot of their stats on the Time Challenge screen will get a $25 itunes gift certificate.

3. first person to complete Title Defense mode and take a screenshot will get a $50 itunes gift certificate.

For folk that love classic arcade style boxing games and want to try their hand at the contests, but are uncomfortable paying $2.99, feel free to PM me and I'll see what I can do.

15. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Man I want one of those^^^ I need to stop typing and start tapping to kick some a**. Thanks again Phil for the wonderful game:)

16. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    The new icon is MUCH better. Looking forward to it!

17. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #57 Stroffolino, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
    Pocket Boxer FREE!

For better or worse, this afternoon Apple went ahead and approved the lite version of Pocket Boxer, leaving the 1.1 update to the full version still in the "waiting for review" state (despite the update to the full version being submitted first).

This puts me in the awkward position where the publically available lite version of Pocket Boxer is actually better than the currently available full version in some areas. In the meantime, I've put the full version on sale until the 1.1 update gets approved.

Anyone that's already purchased the full version can get a sneak peak at the new 1.1 features (remastered voices, new icon, openfeint support, fat-finger friendly menus, and more) by downloading "Pocket Boxer FREE!"

Enjoy.

18. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    It's finally started trickling into the AppStore.

Here's the URL: Pocket Boxer FREE!

If freedog or a mod sees this, can you please add this URL to the first post of this thread? Thanks!

19. spursrule

spursrule Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Man, Ivan, Kimber and Palooka Pete are tough. But I did manage to beat Rasta King on my first try.
    [​IMG]

20. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    Congrats sir! You are now 25 iTunes credits richer, and Stroffolino 25 to the less;)