Universal Pocket Boxing Legends (by Easy 8 Software)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by freedog, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    For better or worse (probably better!), there's no "Jihad Joe" in the final release of Pocket Boxer, either. I had to rename him to get the app approved. But kudos anyway - PM sent.

2. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    True that. If I recover costs (a big if with the AppStore these days), you may get to see more of her.

Thanks to everyone for their participation in the trivia round.

3. bone.rate

bone.rate Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Thank you very much for being such a considerate person. I answered your question based on seeing the video trailer and have no idea that the released app had been edited and contains no "jihad joe". Again thank you for your consideration and being generous.

4. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    I've had a chance to play a bit, and figured i'd post some first impressions:
    The Good: it plays fast and smooth. No jerkiness to the animations, very nicely done while still retaining an indie quality. The controls are simple and intuitive. There is a training mode which is helpful, but you could win your first few fights without looking at it. So far the difficulty is ramping up well enough, I stopped after losing to the fat guy (sorry, forgot his name), but there seems to be a good learning curve applied.

Could be worked on: the voice work is appreciated, but the countdown sounds odd. It just seems to stand out, not integrated into the fx of the game. I'm assuming the dev did the voice, and that's cool, but it sounds too subdued...belt it out! This sounds stupid, but a lot of people seem to care about this: the icon. It's not the best. Lastly, the referee image seems a bit rough when it appears. Maybe a frame around him? Does it sound like I'm nitpicking? It's because I am. That means that the core mechanics and gameplay are solid. Great job to the dev, and I hope you see the feedback as just suggestions, the game is fine as is.

5. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    difficulty

It's reassuring to hear that folk are able to take out the first few opponents. I've witnessed casual gamers get beat down repeatedly by Mad Moose McGee, who isn't intended to be terribly tough. It's definitely not a game that can be won with mindless button mashing. Difficulty does ramp up pretty quickly and the game continues getting harder through title defense mode. One quick tip: once you've faced an opponent in "road to the title" you will be able to rematch them from the time challenge screen - they'll be unlocked even if you lost the bout.

6. GregB

GregB Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2009
    Thoughts on how this compares to Super KO Boxing?

7. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Glu's game is beautiful and really funny.

Some things that stand out with Pocket Boxer:
    - player can aim for head or body with left or right hand, and each punch has unique characteristics
    - meaty impact sounds
    - dramatic opponent knockdowns
    - game is cartoony but feels 3d thanks to the 3d environment, animations, and shadows
    - virtually no load time between matches
    - fast counts to get back into action after knockdowns
    - touch controls work without need for virtual dpad. The action is never obscured.
    - challenging but fair; no tricks to winning, just tactics

8. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Really am loving this game. The touch controls wok perfectly for this game without having to fumble with a d-pad. Always was a huge fan of Punch Out on the NES and SNES and this one fits the bill perfectly...

9. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    yeah im gonna have to get this game. i loved beating up on tyson in the nes. lol. yeah i can see how the touch pad would be more suited than the D pad the nes had. lol. thank you for bring my generations boxing game back to life. LOL. downloading now. :) bring on the boxing. heh
    chris

10. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    #30 sid187, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
    hi, so far i like it. you are right you have to think to fight. just mashing buttons you will lose every time. my only complaint is the refs voice.

it dose not fit the rest of the production at all. you need to add some effects to the voice. give it that arena feel to it. and def need more excitement into it ( into the voice.)
    cant say its worth three bucks. but, i do not feel like i got ripped off either. :)

time to practice my combos. please fix the refs voice in the next update. also is there way to do a upper cut?

chris.

11. kawficolor

kawficolor Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    I can't even get the game to start! I go into training mode. It shows you what to do, then puts you back to the main menu. The only other choices are options, time challenge, and acheivements. What am I missing?

12. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    This is a worthwhile boxing game. How does it stack up against Super KO 2? Well its not quite as deep and maybe not as good but its pretty close, and as far as fun goes its right up there. Controls are different then SuperKO 2 and a lot of people will prefer the controls in Pocket Boxing, they're not bad at all. As far as the gameplay goes the opponents have patterns and there's a strategy to defeat each one just like NES Punchout.

My only suggestion so far is that the punching (tap) controls could be made slightly more responsive, but right now they're good regardless.

13. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Touch "Road to the Title" :)

It's just above "Training Mode" - buttons really could use more physical separation.

14. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #34 Stroffolino, Jan 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
    If you lower your guard, you can throw uppercuts. Uppercuts are the most powerful punch you can land, doing more damage even than your right hook. This is balanced by the fact that you're more vulnerable lowering your guard, and that it's much harder to use an uppercut in a combination. The best time to throw an uppercut is after you have just filled your power meter. Any time you've just filled your meter, you can land a "free" power punch without having to worry about the opponent reacting with a dodge/counter.

Apologies for folk not getting down with the referee's voice - no worries; every app I've put in the AppStore has received at least one major update.

Quick reminder that there is a TouchArcade exclusive open contest for the player to:
    1) beat Rasta King and unlock title defense mode
    2) earn a "lightning" achievement for each opponent (based on quick KOs)
    3) complete title defense" (a series of four new/returning opponents). The rematch with Palooka Pete is by far the hardest match in the game, comparable to Mike Tyson in NES Punchout.

I'll give an itunes gift certificate ($15) to the first player to succeed in each of these feats, posting proof via a screenshot.

15. mynameisjesse

mynameisjesse Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Hahahah I'm really into the Kimbo Slice dude.

16. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'm downloading this now and can't wait to play. I could seriously use one of those $15 iTunes cards!

17. Stroffolino

Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    #37 Stroffolino, Jan 2, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    Freedog, the player's punch animations begin the moment you tap a glove icon. I worry that speeding his punches up would, without lots of other changes, wreak havok with the difficulty curve. I also want to leave the door open for head to head multiplayer, and I fear that having punches thrown too fast to see coming would ruin that. You may be used to kokid whose high and low punches are essentially instantaneous.

I'll be curious to see how your thoughts on depth evolve as you get further in the game. Between dodging left/right, ducking, blocking high/low, and the 6 punches you can throw, there's lots of room to refine and personalize yout tactics in Pocket Boxer. If you aren't getting a single or double lighting bolt per opponent, you've got plenty of room for improvement even against foes you can already consistently defeat.

Take it easy,
    Phil

18. Louard

Louard Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

May 4, 2009
    Liking reactions so far!

It's too bad I didn't have more to do with the initial release but I'm definitely glad the game is getting so many positive responses!

19. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    #39 rIcHrAnDoM, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
    Well, I finally got my wacky self settled in and played several rounds of Pocket Boxer and my reaction is...Awesomeness!

The game feels well stylized and responsive. This is the best "Punch-Out" type game I've played on the iDevice, yet it's got it's own personality and culture. I am gonna get back into the ring, I just wanted to let the devs know I'm impressed with the overall art, control and presentation. More later,

Richard

btw, I'm very confident in saying this is a solid v1.0 release:)

20. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    im having fun with this game too.. reliving my youth. lol. even tho im having a problem figure out how to use the upper cut.

i see where you get the power triangles at the bottom. and then when you get a full bar it says KO above the boxers head.

now in the tutorial. where you beat the heck out of the boxing bag. it gives the impression you touch the KO to get a upper cut but this seems to fail.

or do you just do a regular punch and it will automatically do a upper cut if you are using the top gloves. ( and im not seeing a upper cut move. and it just looks like a regular jab)

also, i really think you need to make it easier to see witch button is for training and for boxing. my fat fingers keep hitting training by accident. minor obv. and i really enjoy this game. :)

for added inspiration. play "eye of the tiger" and get your rocky on!
    chris.