GameClub Plunderland (by JohnnyTwoShoes)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Fedorov

Fedorov Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Bought in UK too! Looks great fun this!

2. Acidbottle

Acidbottle Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    just when i thought the appstore had dried up fer good ..

this awesome game arrives woo :D

3. Manny7

Manny7 Well-Known Member

Jun 30, 2009
    does the game have online stats?

4. TouchGamer1987

TouchGamer1987 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    Grad Student
    New York City
    I'm getting this at 11!!!!!

5. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Game Impressions

Nothing online so far, but an interview with the devs suggests online score tracking might be included in the future.

I'm not sure if it is purely emotional, or based on the actual characteristics of the game, but Plunderland reminds me of Wheeler's Treasure. It is not just the fact that the canon is fired similar to how the girl in Wheeler's jump, but a combination of the gameplay mechanics, the control method, the overall feeling of gradual and rather casual progression, upgrades that appear now and then, the pirate theme, the side-scrolling adventure concept, and the fact that most of the time, you are travelling in a long, straight line.

Plunderland is considerably less challenging (Wheeler's can get notoriously hard after a thousand yards, or so), but also considerably deeper.

All in all, a flattering comparison, considering I still find Wheeler's Treasure to be one of the few platformers I would spend time on, and one of the more original games in the App Store. Plunderland is just as original, far more dynamic, and will probably become a classic.

And, while the content already present in the game probably will satisfy most, apparently the devs are planning on releasing both DLC, and free upgrades. In the interview I mentioned above, they spoke of their plans of expanding the gameplay (such as fighting on land), and how easy it will be to add level-specific mechanics and additional gameplay concepts. I've the feeling Plunderland will keep its appeal, Angry Birds-style, for quite some time, and I'm really looking forward to the coming months of upgrades.

6. Hitch

Hitch Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    The Lonely Island
    Only 20 more minutes, right!?! Who's pumped?

7. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Game Impressions

After the first couple of levels: couldn't be more impressed. This is the kind of game which reminds you why you play games in the first place. Highly polished, whacky, with a tremendous sense of fun. Highly recommended.

8. 8sanders

8sanders Active Member

Feb 26, 2010
    It's 11:00! Where is it ? Where is it!!!!!!!!!!

9. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    damn. was about to instabuy but thought it was $2, not $3. Will have to wait for a few more impressions :)

10. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    1102 where is it ? :)

11. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    It's out!

Taking the plunge but will be mighty pissed if it ends up going on sale next week!

12. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    pure speculation?

13. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Actually, "probably", if used correctly, should denote a careful calculation of possibilities, which is, in many ways, the opposite of speculation.

14. cranker

cranker Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Montreal

lol :)

Anyone tried this one on the ipad ? I am thinking that it's pretty much an iphone game with the tilt control but you never know.

15. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    "Probably" isn't definite, so it pretty much derives from speculation, it's not really an opposite. You need to use a degree of speculation before you decide whether or not something will probably happen.

16. klicktock

klicktock Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2009
    Director of KlickTock
    Ballarat, Vic, Australia
    Looks pretty great, but I'll hold out for the iPad version.

17. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #78 Ayjona, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
    Probability denotes relative frequency of occurrence, which is derived from empirical knowledge. Empirical knowledge is seen as the relative opposite of speculation (relative, since philosophy and scientific method include curiously useless theoretical practices, such as inclusive statements). The act of observing an event removes all need for speculation regarding that particular occurrence, even if it gives rise to speculation as to regarding reasons and causes, effects and implications.

There is no degree of speculation involved in deciding whether or not something will happen, if it is based on calculations involving empirical knowledge. Which is why the word "probability" was invented. In fact, speculation, being naturally and mutually exclusive with probability, is what occurs when probability is breached.

Of course, from the perspective of someone who just wants to know more about Plunderland, all of this is probably pure cattledroppings.

That, too, is based on precise calculations, involving observations of the nature of gamers who read and post in internet forums.

18. sundance kid

sundance kid Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    eehhh
    BFE,AZ
    does anybody know how many unlockables there are, like ships, cannons, etc?
    also is there anyway to get new pirates, or anything for your little characters?

19. Kunning

Kunning Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Was going to get this, but it requires iOS 4.0, which I don't want to upgrade to since it'd take a really long time on my comp. :(