Universal Plunder Pirates (By Rovio Stars)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by comingTouch.com, Jun 17, 2014.

1. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I'm not really a CoC fan, but this one looks pretty cool. Looks like I'm heading to Canada again for a couple minutes.

2. Chaos_u

Chaos_u Well-Known Member

nice game. downloading

3. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    I'm not really a CoC fan either but so far the differences here make me enjoy this more for now. But I felt the same with Boom Beach for a while too. But still positive about the game, definitely worth trying.

4. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Thought I'd see more posts here by now, no one else playing yet?

5. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    For now I joined a guild, but I will create a TouchArcade one if we get enough players!

Apparently there's tons of new features being brought into the game soon. Considering it's only a soft-launch. The many types of pirates is pretty epic. The fact that there's a skill chart is pretty damn sweet.

6. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    This game is so fun... I'd join a TA guild!
    Plan on playing regularly

7. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Game looks pretty cool, but am I missing something when it comes to exploration? I filled my ship with 10 pirates and before I leave anywhere I have to wait 3 minutes for them to load? Is this standard? Seems like such a harsh timer just to get going and I'm on my first action past the tutorial.

8. Zeillusion

Sep 30, 2013
    When you explore you need pirates. So if you have 10 you click the pirate figure head ontop of the ship, and it loads your troops on (instantly) there's no timer for that. There's only a timer for exploring. Each block is 6 seconds and each destination is 4-6 minutes I believe. When you fight ships / sharks / animals / islands ect your troops that you loaded will fight. When you find a base you can raid that like multiplayer. When your done exploring your troops are used up and you need to fill the ship again.

9. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #29 Cilo, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    I figured that out but it seems the biggest difference between this and boom beach is you lose units so easily and the timer to get them back is a tad long. I lost units from the first tutorial battle, had to replenish units to explore after that which took 4 minutes, ran into a shark, waited 5 minutes to find out what happened, lost 9 units but won. Before I can move on I had to replenish those pirates again for another 4 minutes, and now stuck in a battle with a nearby ship and am waiting 6 minutes to see the result. Shame I have no direct control of any battles similar to boom beach. I felt the in boom beach the beginning battles were a little more streamlined as well. I didn't hit any major timers until about level 10. Take in consideration I never played CoC, couldn't stand the graphics.

10. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    Sounds like you didn't even play the tutorial...

11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Got my main building to level 3 now so will build the guild hall when I feel I should, what bonuses is it on about you can get? I noticed there aren't that many guilds atm we could rocket in the leaderboards with a TA guild. Also most of them seem to be for pro CoC players.

I just got the academy and started learning the first skill, it does look pretty cool that they get skill trees though although I'm wondering how I'll know which side of the skill tree I want to go down? Or can I get them all?

Also I'm guessing even though it's soft launch we will keep our data? Anyone asked? It does say out on iOS and android on their site.

Finally for Clio as the others said if you didn't lose troops you don't have to wait, after you've initially cleared the map you don't really lose anyone but also then you rely on luck finding something, but I have found gems are quite generous in how often I find them. I just send my ship out and close the game....it's a short timer but I imagine that as the ship gets bigger and you can explore further the timer will get longer which will be helpful deciding how long you want it out for.

12. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I completed it and am already past a few upgrades in town, such as town hall level 2. This just isn't my thing, too many timers - and I am pretty patient when it comes to f2p games, but I felt I was spending more time with the app closed than with it actually doing anything. That's my opinion though, I am sure it is a great game for those familiar with the Clash of Clans format. I guess I was hoping for a pirate themed RTS similar to Boom Beach, but sadly it isn't.

13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Boom Beach is the same as CoC and this?? This does seem deeper so far though and it's not even finished.

14. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #34 Cilo, Jun 18, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
    I didn't find Boom Beach the same as Plunder Pirates, I had direct control during battles in Boom Beach. Or maybe it was the ship artillery/flares that made the strategic planning different. Either way it's only one opinion, that shouldn't deter anyone looking for another CoC game.

15. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Of course it's just one opinion as mine is and I wasn't arguing with you just talking : ) I see what you mean about the ship control from Boom Beach, the pirates on this game have skill trees and skills that you unlock and can use during combat and passives of course. But will have to play further to see exactly how those play out and come into the game.

Like I said earlier it just feels like the game has a lot of potential.

16. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Canada is the new NZ, huh? Maybe I need to get a new account, eh. This game looks cool.

17. Zeillusion

Sep 30, 2013
    It's just like those games. It's only soft launched, give the game time to developer lol. It's a lot deeper considering you have like 15 types of troops and individual skill charts. You can skill up there health, or there damage ect. It's really neat. The exploration is awesome to. Honestly, I think it kicks boom beachs ass :p

And boom beach, seriously? That game has one builder. & your complaining about timers lol. This game I've gotten almost 3 builders for free. ( later on you get quests for 100 diamonds )

You build a lot faster in this game. The visuals are also stunning.

18. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #38 ste86uk, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    I wish I had 3 builders I've got 2 and 167 diamonds saved up so far. But I generally produce resources quicker than I can use them, but I always focus on resources at the start of a game especially while under shield.

Don't forget the active abilities too and I'm wondering if your getting attacked much after the shield goes and how long you get one back for?

Edit: just thought I'd add in to say IAP seems reasonably priced not that I buy any but sometimes if I really get into a game I'll get a 1 off the support the dev. So far I think I'd like to already if it wasn't a CA account and get that third builder.

19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    1 hour until my newbie protection runs out. So far my only gripe with the game is resource production produces far more resources than you can actually spend!

This may change once attacks start I'm sure but at the moment with the different build times I can't spend it fast enough. Although I've yet to see how much people can steal and how long protection you get for it. Also if you can get revenge.

20. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Wanted to bump the thread to see if anyone else is playing yet?