Universal Plunder Kings (by Goodnight Games LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gwarmaxx, Feb 28, 2019.

1. goodnightgames

goodnightgames Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    New update should be through, make sure to update!

- Fixed the bug where the ultra is triggered along with triggering boost.
    - Fixed the bug where gambling bets don't display/don't add to score.

We're going to try and put another one through on Friday to now start addressing the stuff you guys wanted. If anything comes up obviously let me know!

2. Lull4by

Lull4by Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    #22 Lull4by, Mar 6, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
    Great, that ultra bug is annoying especially when you bet big number on "no ultra using".:confused:

After days of playing, I think there are some parts could do some work:
    1. Pause, I think it would be better if there have some kind of countdown warning (3, 2, 1) to make people ready for the game is about to start again, not just start again suddenly.

2. After the fighter get attack buff in the gameplay, the afterimage effect blocks some view, it may bring some trouble in harder levels, since there are a lot of bullets most of time.

3. Wave Counting/Boss Warning, they both block whole screen about 1 second, which is really annoying when bet big number on "no damage", the effect of kill counting is better.

4. Some levels doesn't have high number kills and streak, like 500 kills and 500 killstreaks, so even I kill all enemies and doesn't get any damage, if I bet 500 kills and 500 killstreaks first, but the level only have about 300 enemies, the result is that I failed the bet, so maybe show how many enemies you will encounter when you choosing the levels. BTW, how about bigger bet and multiplier?

5. After unlocking the drones in the shop, how could I know which one I get? is that random?

3. anarei

anarei Active Member

Sep 15, 2014
    I just bought the game today and am still seeing issues with the “Do not use an Ultra” bet failing even though I am positive that I am not using or trigering an Ultra attack. Can you please double-check if that fix is live?

I have a few additional suggestions in addition to what Lull4by shared:

1. Can we please have an Options menu to adjust the sound volumes separately? In other words, one slider for Music and another slider for Sound Effects (bullets, powerups, explosions, etc)?

2. Can you please only use Red bullets for enemy attacks? In the first stage, it’s a brown background, some of the weapon effects are yellow, but then some enemies towards the end and the boss use Yellow bullets which are hard to see on the screen. It is hard to differentiate “good” yellow and “bad” yellow when so many things are happening at the same time.

3. A tutorial around the gambling mechanics could be helpful but I don’t think it is required like the unlocks tutorials for the additional attacks and drones. I think you could add a ? Icon on each wager box and explain what the “pass” and “fail” criteria are for each bet and that would be helpful.

4. Is this game playable without an Internet connection? I really hope it is!

Thanks so much for making such a fun game, I am enjoying it a lot and looking forward to making some progress this weekend :) Great job to everyone at Goodnight Games!

4. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Sorry I'm late to the party, been out a couple days with the flu. Let's get back at it!

I passed all of these to the development team. #3 in particular has come up a bunch so that's a priority.

4. Yeah this might need some work, our thought process was, less info and bet based on what you know. We'll see how this gets resolved in testing so I'll have to keep you posted.

5. The drones unlock as you put more points into the upgrade. If I remember right it's bomb, electric then shield in that order.

Keep these coming they're very good!

Ah it might have gotten delayed. It's 100% live now. Let me know if it's still happening, it's not on our end but obviously you never know.

1. We actually have this in the works for music for the next update, SFX is coming it just takes a minute with our engine.

2-3 I passed these to the dev team and we'll see what works and I'll get back to you

4. Yeah you can play it anywhere, we made sure it's self contained and super small file size.

Dude thanks for the kind words we really appreciate it and we're glad you like Plunder Kings!

-----

Update:

We're going to try and push out another update today with more tweaks and fixes based on you guys. I'm waiting to get the list of what will go in but as soon as I do I'll post it here.

5. thesajay

thesajay Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 26, 2016
    Enjoying this and love the gambling mechanic - makes things like high score chasing much more fun and significant.

Re drones, you have to swipe down while on the fighter select screen and then a drone select view appears. Took me awhile to find this.

Some feedback:
    1) For drone select and for unlocking drones, etc, it took me awhile to realize that you could swipe down. Maybe make the down arrows more prominent?
    2) Agree with what previous poster said re bullet color; it does get hard to tell what’s me and what’s the enemy.
    3) in Tropos Trove when I play as Gus, I pretty much can’t see my bullets at all unless ultra is on.

Also FYI to others/feedback, I love this game, don’t get me wrong,and highly recommend for anyone who likes shoot ‘em ups. That said, I wouldn’t call it a rogue-like. I also love rogue-likes and don’t see any of those elements here - your ship, weapons and everything are fixed from the start and enemies seem mostly the same (or I’m not paying enough attention). Again still a great game, just don’t call it what it’s not.

goodnightgames likes this.
  6. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Thanks for the feedback and the kind words!

Yeah we're currently working on the menu swiping. It definitely isn't enough indication of where you can go, we do have a fix we just have to test it on some people to make sure before it gets added in.

Bullet color feed back got passed to the dev team and ok on the Gus problem right now.

I'm guilty of using some marketing jargon for it I'll take the full heat for that, the argument I can make is the enemies do change from game to game and wave to wave so it's never the same things or same attacks but it's subtle. All good regardless we're trying to make damn good games and you can't do that if you don't listen to who plays them.

Update: We're still currently working on the next update, some fixes took a bit longer than expected but we should have a release in this week if nothing breaks. As soon as I can confirm with Apple I'll let you guys know the exact live date.

7. anarei

anarei Active Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Thanks for the quick responses, Goodnight Games, it’s always refreshing to see a developer hasn’t immediately moved onto the next thing as soon as their game comes out! As you can tell, some of us have been eagerly waiting for Plunder Kings and are very happy to have our hands on it :)

Regarding the “Ultra bet” bug, I tested a bit this weekend and here’s what I found: if you win the stage without using a continue AND without using an Ultra, you will clear the bet and get the rewards. However, if you use a continue, even if you don’t use an Ultra, you cannot win this bet.

Is this the intended behavior for the Ultra (and I presume Drone) bets? If so, I think they need to include the “without using a continue” text in the Wager box, or with an “info icon” like I suggested previously that fully explains this pass/fail conditions for each Wager.

I found another bug today on Stage 2, Billionaire Battlegrounds: I cannot kill Gold Bug #4 as Hal (Spread attack), and he remains stuck on the screen until I beat the stage. I have tried every attack option, including Drone, Boost attack, and even my Ultra, but for some reason I cannot kill Gold Bug #4 as Hal.

Here are two screenshots showing this (Gold) bug, haha, on two different runs:

1. During final boss battle, setting a perfect pick for the boss and absorbing so many of my attacks

30749CE3-D535-48E4-8E64-869D859C0FD0.png

2. After beating the boss, the gold bug is still on the screen, he’s invincible!

3F4199C8-307B-40C1-A3AF-6B6663DCB69D.png

Finally, I don’t have a way to prove this to you, but when I beat stage 2 for the first time, I had a different number as my “best score,” but I hadn’t played the stage before... I beat it on my first run. Here’s what I saw on the Victory screen

962710FF-C439-4C0D-9290-50FBBFE38BEA.png

Thanks again and please keep up the great support and tell the team we all appreciate their hard work!

8. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Thanks for the kind words and the awesome feedback. Everybody is super pumped to hear the reactions!

Hmmm the ultra bet is supposed to function as completing the level without using your ultra. So that's not working right, we'll be changing that.

Don't get me started on that damn gold bug.....bug. We've actually been tracking it for a little while, it's definitely in our constant to do but it's a fairly tricky one I won't lie.

I passed all of this to the development team and they're processing it currently!

Next Update Tweaks/Fixes:

- Adding a countdown when un-pausing to give player a chance to get back into action.
    - Make the visual effect less distracting when getting a power-up
    - During wave reminder and boss warning, will clear all enemy bullets and give player more forgiving intermission until next set of waves or when boss is about to spawn
    - Menu tweak to make it more clear you can swipe down to select drones in ship/drone select menu.
    - Tweaking enemy and player attacks to be more readable.

We should have the update in to Apple on Friday so it'll take about a day or two to process so look for it on a Sunday/Monday if not sooner!

Lull4by likes this.
  9. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    You folks got a winner here. A+

10. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Thanks for the kid words, we're super glad you like Plunder Kings!

11. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    If you don’t mind me asking, any plans for future content?? Personally, I’m a HUGE SHMUP fan (been playing Cave games since way back in the day, child of the CPS1-2 bullet hell days) and I’d like to see some more ships/drones/etc. I’m also greedy af...but still.... lelelelele

12. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    #32 pathogen541, Mar 13, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Also, little piece of input here. I feel like an indicator for where your ship is located under your thumb would be nice. Lots of times, my ship ends up under my thumb and I can’t accurately dodge bullets. I can attribute a large number of deaths to taking damage while my ship is under my thumb, YOU DIG, DOIG?!!?!?

13. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    #33 pathogen541, Mar 14, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Back... again....I’ve been playing this a lot since I’ve purchased it... in fact I keep picking it up for run after run. This is a good sign. I’ve decided the betting mechanic is a stroke of genius. The fact that you essentially determine how difficult the game is, and then are rewarded for playing like a bad ass... it’s a pretty irrisitable hook.

I too have encountered an un-killable good beetle with HAL, except mine was in the first stage, I was unable to screen shot it (read: died like an ass hole and lost my bets before I could screen shot it)

I can’t help shaking the feeling like... a few pick up weapons would be helpful, like mini guided rockets, or a homing laser, something to just add to the insanity... plus, this game is hard as hell, my bullet hell skills have been seriously tested, so anything to help out would be dope. Again, good work.

14. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Mhmm there's plans for a lot of future content, we're just rolling out the bug fixes first. I can't say anything yet but I'll be announcing when they arrive.

Passed it on, we shall see what happens home skillet!

Unlock the drones and roll them out with you, or try playing as HAL his boost fire adds a little BFF that shoots guys for you. I think that would definitely scratch that itch.

Yeah the gold beetle bug seems to be coming entirely at random, we're having trouble tracking it as well but it's been something we've been working on. We just need a root cause.

15. pathogen541

Jun 19, 2016
    Absolutely love HAL, hes my main, and I havent gotten used to the drones yet, but his boost fire does scratch that itch for sure. Super pumped for the future of this game man. I really think its got some legs with the betting mechanic and you guys seem like really solid developers, so, Im eager for whats to come! You guys won a fan for damn sure, SHMUPS have always been a favorite of mine, and this definitely, as the App Store description says, has become my go to shooter on my iPhone. The betting mechanic has me hooked. Scratching at my neck and twitching all weird like too....digital amphetamines.

16. anarei

anarei Active Member

Sep 15, 2014
    I am back with a few more suggestions/feedback and another bug report. Many thanks for all the updates and responses :)

Suggestions/feedback

1. Is the screen swiping necessary for wagers and drones? Or would it be easier for players if there were more things on one screen that we could click on?

I honestly didn’t see the swipe down for drone choice, I only know about it because of thesajays post in this thread. Many thanks to him for that :)

I have also played multiple stages without any wagers because I forgot to click or swipe to set my wager and just clicked Go. Perhaps if a player doesn’t set any wagers and doesn’t even look at them once, you could ask to confirm if they want to play the stage without any wagers set?

I would suggest a single screen for ship and drone choice, and maybe a single screen for wagers, too. I am playing on an iPad so screen space and readability aren’t a concern for me, haha.

2. I agree with the previous poster that we shouldn’t be able to place impossible wagers, where the stage design makes it so the wager cannot be won. The number of enemies killed wager is the main offender, but I have not beaten every stage yet to see if they all have 20+ waves.

3. The “tap screen to speed things up” on menus is inconsistent when starting and finishing a stage. I would like to have a tap end the current animation, but not skip to the next one... for example, when I start a stage, I cannot tap to skip the “subtracting wager from money” at all; I would like to be able to tap once to just show my new total and see the removed wager. On the other hand, once I finish a stage, I can tap to have my winnings added to my money right away. But I cannot tap to skip the “rewards” screen that shows my piles and money from the stage, it seems to be on a set timer. And on the “wager results” screen, if I tap once, it skips ahead to “loading” the menus and I can only briefly see the wager results; I would like to tap once to see all of the wager results, then tap to go back to the menus.

Bug report

If you set one or more wagers and then swipe left to change your ship or drone, and click Go from the Ship screen, the game asks if your wager amount is correct, but it doesn’t actually display the number. You need to be on the “wager side” to see the number in the confirm screen.

Ship side to wager side (expected behavior)

CA54C0A0-34D8-4101-9965-F9B853287EA9.png

Ship side to wager side, back to ship side - no wager amount in confirm screen.

699B1E01-539F-477D-9EBF-106DEC256E8C.png

You can see the wager subtracted in the upper left hand corner, but the “bet amount” and number only display if you are on the “wager side.”

I hope you guys know I’m not trying to be picky, I am just trying to help and share my feedback and thoughts as I play the game :)

17. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    You are a gentleman and a scholar, don't forget it. Thank you.

Good feedback and as always thanks for the screenshots! I'll address them in order:

1) Oh yeah this has come up multiple times so we're currently messing with it. It should make the next update.

2) Yeah that shouldn't have been a thing at all, it's getting pulled in the next update. I think the problem should only be for level 1 with the kills and if you don't have drone/ultra those bets are impossible as well.

3) Sent all this to the dev team

Thanks a ton for the screenshots, we can probably have that bug fixed in this update depending on time but if not it'll be in the next planned one.

Update:

Everything is mostly done, we just have to wrap up a few of the smaller things before we send it out to Apple. As of now it should be sent in later tonight. We're on eastern time just a heads so probably 10/11pm.

18. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Ok another update. We ran into some things we hadn't counted on for the code so we'll be pushing the update to Apple tomorrow instead of today.

We did find and kill some little bugs so that's a win right there.

19. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Update:

We went from getting the update done to getting side tracked fixing 800 little bugs over the weekend. So this kind of spiraled out of control. It should be sent in today or tomorrow.

A big thing you guys have been asking for is bullet and transition changes. Take a look at these:

How's that?

20. goodnightgames

Dec 2, 2012
    Game Developer
    New York, New York
    Update is live! Don't forget to update!

What's New:

1 - Effects on player when collecting power-ups, player ship will now pulsate instead.
    2 - The white flash during wave transition every 5 waves will destroy all player bullets in addition to adding slight delay for following enemy spawn.
    3 - Arrows on scroll bar have been increased in size to be more obvious in menus.
    4 - Adjusted several enemy bullets to be more readable.
    5 - Adjusted Tropos Trove background assets brightness and colors so player attacks,enemies, and bullets are more visible.
    6 - Fixed some colors on boost attacks for player ships.
    7 - Bug fixed where tutorials accessed from stage select menu brings you to the upgrade menu when finished.
    8 - Fixed bug with horizontal moving enemy bullets.
    9 - Adjusted several enemy sprites to be more visible in stage 3,4,&5.
    10 - Updated boss 4 sprites.
    11 - Fixed bug where stage 4 tank enemy did not attack.
    12 - Added count down when entering a level or continuing from death.