Please explain why multiple threads on the same app...

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by jwbrent, Jan 31, 2009.

1. jwbrent

jwbrent Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    California
    are such a big deal to some.

I understand it is simpler to read everyone's posts in one thread but there are those who post simply to say there's already another thread with the same topic. So? Some of the threads get so long that if someone wants to post a question or opinion it can easily get lost on a multi page thread.

Please enlighten me...

2. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Everything would work out if...
    There was a thread about every major game/app. Only one thread. And there would be a stickied post with links to all of them. Every question/random stuff about the game/app would go into that thread.

3. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    I disagree completely. Multiple threads are useful for distinguishing updates, strategy, etc. If there was only one thread per game, than they would often be hundreds of posts long, and a major nuisance to navigate through

4. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    I'd find a handful of threads on one game a nuisance to navigate through.
    If everything is simply in one thread then I'll know that IF something is discussed about that game, I'll be able to find it there.

Of course games also get mentioned in other topics, which is why I skip the "What are your must have apps?" topics when searching for a game. But having strategies mixed up with other discussions often isn't a problem. I say "often" because there are exceptions. Threads about the maffia games (iMob, iMafia I believe, I don't play them) started to get flooded with friend codes, which was simply too much. Yeah, I realize that I'm drawing a line somewhere, and where that line is, is pretty subjective. It differs per situation.

The only other exception I can think of right now, is that someone creates a new topic when a fairly large update to a game/app is out, stating in the first post what the new features/changes are. If they really impact the game I wouldn't mind a new topic and a new discussion. (I'm thinking about a new thread when TanZen got a new game mode, for example)

5. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I agree with you. I hate when one thread gets like 400 posts long and I have to try to find one tiny piece of information in it. That's why i don't merge those.

I couldn't figure out the controls in Alien Mangle and when I asked I was told to look in first few pages and I'd find my answer. The thread was enormous by that point. Reading through huge threads, which are usually ramblings, is obnoxious.

The long ones are definitely okay, but multiple threads on one game are welcome if they have a unique topic.

6. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    Ah, OK, this is something I can agree with.
    But we all agree that if someone posts a topic saying "Hey look this cool game I just stumbled upon, it's called ..." when there already is a topic about a game, then that topic will get removed/merged, right?

7. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    We all (and by all I mean me) agree. :)

8. hkiphone

hkiphone Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    The recent bombardment of "Friend Codes" for the Mafia games should really stick to just the one thread that is already labelled "Official friend code request for xxx game".
    It bugs me that some wiseguy decides to start his own thread like "Enter my code for xxx game" so then the next person adds his/her friend code on that one AND the official one too. Before you know it, the 1st page of latest posts is innundated with just friend code requests for the same bloody game. We'll never be able to see any decent posts until page 2 or 3.

But for other discussions such as tactics or help, I'm open about having different threads. Long ones can get abit disjointed as some people are replying to person X on something, like price drops of a hyped game while person Y replies about how good/bad the game is and its worth.

I think we all just need some common sense on posting new threads. If there's an obvious thread for something basic like friend codes, then just stick to that.

9. Wasn't there already a thread on this somewhere? :p

(btw, I agree with NotYou).

10. spmwinkel

Oct 22, 2008
    If so, then go merge them, you've got the power for it! :rolleyes: