iPad PlayScreen Trivia Contest: Promo code for Pigs a Pop'n

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PlayScreen, Jan 8, 2009.

1. PlayScreen

PlayScreen Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2009
    The Sun's gravitational attraction to the Earth is greater than the Moon's gravitational attraction on the Earth.

Yet, the Moon effects tides much more than the Sun.

Why?

THE RULES:

1. No message editing permitted.

2. I decide if an answer is correct. Sorry, but that is how it goes.

3. First correct message wins.

4. Begging is discouraged.

2. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    because it's closer to earth :)

3. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Because it's closer?

I don't know, didn't bother googling it, I already won a copy of this earlier and love it :D

4. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Like they said above, because it's closer to the earth.

I think...

5. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    Let's be honest. I have no idea but it's a great question! :)

6. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    UPDATE:

The sun is bigger, but it's weak gravity force is stronger than the sun's strong force.

Sort of the same thing :p

7. mikec24red

mikec24red Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    The Moon has a greater effect on earth's tides than the sun because the moon is much closer to the earth than the sun. The sun is much larger than the moon, but the moon is closer so its weak gravity is stronger than the sun's strong gravity.

8. Donburns99

Donburns99 Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    ColdFusion Web Developer
    Rhode Island
    Because the suns tidal force is weaker.

9. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    Because it's closer...and the gravitational pull of the sun is much weaker that far away from earth.

10. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    If you google that it's word for word on Wikianswers....

11. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Because underwear-stealing knomes that live on the moon have magical water-manipulating powers: simple Newtonian physics...

12. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
    F = GM(1)M(2)/R^2

So, even though the moon is closer, once again the force from the Sun is greater because it's mass is SO MUCH GREATER.

Closer does have something to do with it, but it is not sufficient.

Keep on trying folks. Keep on trying.

13. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
    #13 PlayScreen, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
    Wikianswers answer isn't good. It doesn't explain why that matters.

14. smokin okin

smokin okin Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2008
    ANNOUNCEMENT: i have gotten my first warning by wastedyuthe by violating the terms and conditions of touch arcade by so called insulting others. I dony know about you, but every great and succesful person ever to live broke the rules at one time or another. Now I know that arn put out these rules as a guidline for code of conduct, but the new moderators are a little too strict, and I fear at this moment by exercising my freedom of speech I am going to get banned by a ticked off moderator for this post. Now I want to send out a message.., Nobody is a slave to the rules, nothing is engraved in stone, everyone on this site should be free to voice their opinion on this site to some extent without the fear of getting banned. As lomg as soke one is speaking their mind about ideals that are legalized by the US government, they should not have a fear of getting banned. I think that the moderators are too byassed, they all think the same, we need a fredh voice that stamds up for thr common day man. I will be ridiculed for this post, I will be angered at for this post, I will possibly be banned for this post, i have too much free time on my hands is why I wrote this post, but i will also be respected by the WE THE PEOPLE DOCTRINE because I am unwelcomingly making the most of my rights handed down to me by our foumding fathers. That is all, thank you arn for such a great website, and it was good while it lasted, P.S., please dont ban me yuthe waster, thanks ;)

15. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    How Much the Moon Affect the Tides of the Earth

New Mexico
    Super Computing Challenge
    Final Report
    April 2, 2008

Team 4
    Albuquerque Academy

Riaan Engelbrecht
    Ian Nespolo

Jim Mims

The moon affects our tides in many ways, but the real question was how much and what
    was the ratio of change if the moon was a different mass or was a different distance away from
    the Earth. Our hypothesis was that the ratio is linear. We hypothesized that if the moon was
    twice as big, then the force would be twice as strong. Then if the moon was twice as far away,
    then the force would be halved. We believed there was a chance that the ratio was exponential,
    which is why we searched for an equation. To make our results more accurate, we also tried to
    find how much the sun affects the tides too. We needed the information about how much the sun
    affects the tides because the tides are also affected by the sun. It is common knowledge that the
    sun affects the tides half as much as the moon but we wanted exact results. We made a program
    with an equation that can find the exact amount of force is affecting the tides by both the moon
    and the sun. We also need to keep in mind that the acceleration on the different “sides” of the
    Earth will be different. The side of the Earth facing the moon will have a higher acceleration
    than the side facing away from the moon.
    We wanted to find how much the moon affects the tides and how different the results
    would be with different scenarios. We also need to study the solar tides because even though
    they are about half as powerful as the lunar tides, they still play a crucial part in the tide changes.
    After finding a formula to find the force on the tides, we needed a computer program to put in
    values so we would have more accurate results. We programmed our code into Visual Studios.
    Our program allows the user to put in the various values for the many factors to the force of the
    tide. We also have the program state what the actual values are so the user knows the difference
    of their inputs from the actual values. This allowed our research to be a little more organized
    and allowed us to keep track what we were doing.
    What we found was that the moon’s mass is jointly proportional to the force on the tides
    and the distance between the moon and the earth is inversely proportional to the force on the
    tides. These results were as expected but we still experimented with the many possibilities. All
    of the results stayed constant with the proportionalities. The solar tides work the same way as
    the lunar tides. The force of the sun on the tides is just a bit lower than the force of the lunar
    tides. The sun is much bigger than the moon, but its distance from the earth makes the solar
    tides weaker. Since the sun is thousands time bigger than the moon, the distance between the
    moon or sun and the earth affects the tides more than the mass of the moon or sun. The moon’s
    acceleration on the tides on the moon’s side is about 1.128E-6. On the far side, it is about
    1.073E-6. The sun’s acceleration on the tides on the sun’s side is about 5.053E-7. On the far
    side, it is about 5.052E-7.
    What surprised us was that the acceleration was much smaller than we thought it would
    be. We didn’t expect that even a very low acceleration can affect the tides so much. So we
    conclude that you need a lot of force to make even a small acceleration. On the other hand, the
    acceleration doesn’t need to be that high to affect the tides. We decided then that the chances of
    even humans noticing the tides changing because the moon is spiraling away are very
    improbable. We decided to explore this problem because the moon is moving away from the
    earth so we wondered would there be noticeable results in the tides. We decided that there
    should be no worry about the changes from the moon distancing itself from us because the
    changes will be too small to notice.
    Thanks to Mr. Mims for reminding us constantly about the project and helping us when
    needed.

16. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    see. i found it :D :D

17. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    this is a trick question huh/...

BECAUSE OF PIGS POPPIN!!!

18. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    you really wanted this promo code!

19. PlayScreen

Jan 2, 2009
    FYI: I was calling Wikianswer's explanation crappy. Not the users.

20. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    yes, i really would love to have the game.