Playond Is Dead. Thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by metalcasket, Mar 6, 2020.

1. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    *pours out a cold one for our fallen brethren*

I'll be the first to admit I wouldn't touch their subscription with a 10 foot pole, and I hated that they were scooping up some of my favorite games and basically putting them under lock (unlike GameClub that are reviving games that were, for all intents and purposes, dead). I then found out that they were essentially saving several developers/publishers from closing down themselves. That beckons the question: What happens to those developers and publishers now?

For those curious: The games will go back to their previous owners.

Source: Pocketgamer

icoker likes this.
  2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Hmm...curious because some of those games were published by big name developers like Crescent Moon and 10 tons. Wasn’t aware that either of those were that bad off.

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Amazingly, I can tell you that one of them was, but it's not my business to discuss who. The information was relayed to me in a private conversation and I'll just leave it at that.

4. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    I still can’t get over the fact Crashlands was part of it as well. But I’m glad it’s coming back to Butterscotch Shenanigans - hopefully. Although I don’t understand why would they let it go in the first place.

Anyway, I’m curious about official announcement and reasoning behind this decision, if Playond planning to make a statement at all. Their practices were questionable - to say the least - from the beginning.

icoker likes this.
  5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    At the end of the day I feel ios users are the ones who are to blame. Too many people begging for freebies or waiting for a price drop when a games $2 !! Devs need to make money. Then they moan when a dev cancels their games or goes freemium !!

Or Waiting to check the gameplay lasts hours before they take the ‘risk’ despite the game being just $3 !!

Such a shame so many talented devs get into these situations.

Never was a fan of this company buying old games. The model price seemed crazy. Had nearly all the games anyway. They didn’t seem to last long at all

HelperMonkey and icoker like this.
  6. i contacted Playond. Seem like their email is no longer working. And I asked CM about Daggerhood. They said all of their games will come back to them. This may apply to other publishers too. I think Playond should delist all of the games like ASAP. Otherwise, that kinda abuses those titles....cos now it looks like all games are free.

icoker likes this.
  7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I never understood their business model. In my view, a subscription service works if:
    • It offers something new, unique, and desirable
    • It offers access to a large library at a reasonable price
    That describes Apple Arcade and GameClub. Playond’s approach was to take a few well regarded titles that a lot of folks already owned and put them behind a paywall — for a similar price as Apple Arcade. If you didn’t buy Crashlands when it originally came out, chances are you are not going to pay into a subscription to get it.

That’s what I’m not surprised that it failed. And why I’m also not surprised that they are dealing with failure in the most irresponsible way possible (at least as far as their partners are concerned).