Playground Wars [Universal] - Coming November or December

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by glowdot, Nov 12, 2013.

1. glowdot

glowdot Well-Known Member

#1 glowdot, Nov 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
    Playground Wars will be available worldwide on

iOS: Thursday, December 5, 2013
    Android: Thursday, December 5, 2013

Preview Playground Wars before it arrives in the app store!

Click here to preview Playground Wars in your browser!

Playground Wars is an upcoming 2D castle defense game for iOS (and shortly after, Android and Facebook). In the game, you command Alex, a boy who's playground has been invaded by bullies from the next street over. Recruit your friends and use special perks and upgrades to battle for the title King of the Playground over 112 hand crafted levels!

Playground Wars is a 2D tower defense/castle defense game but totally over the top. If you remember my last game Rogue Runner (years ago) then you know I like going way over the top with my games.

In contrast to similar games, Playground Wars is very strategic. There are:

* 4 locations, each with night and day settings
    * 5 types of weather
    * 10 friendly units
    * 14 enemy units including really great bosses
    * 9 special attacks
    * 112 levels
    * and something like 450 upgrades. I lost count.

The strategy is in the combinations of all of the above. Some units have bonuses or penalties depending on the weather or time of day. For example, some cost more at night, or have weaker attack when it's snowing. The units themselves all have very noticeable differences -- some have really long reach, some fire projectiles, some have high levels of HP or armor. And then the units themselves have bonuses or penalties against other individual units and unit types.

Its pretty complex, which keeps the game interesting over 112 levels. And we spent the last 4 months just on the level design. When you get comfortable with one strategy we pull the rug out from under you and force you to really think about how to win the round.

I'm hoping we're about 2 weeks from release. If you watch the video all the way through you'll get a taste of how much content I've managed to squeeze into 50MB so far.

Over the next week we're just putting the final polish on the game and finalizing some of the music.

[​IMG]
    And: the game will be free upon release.

2. BeatScribe

BeatScribe Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2012
    Composer/Writer
    Illinois
    Gorgeous graphics. I'm lovin those big cardboard mechsÂ…reminds me of a PG Metal Slug :D Can't wait to try it!

3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Game is so fun. Will keep my eyes on it.

4. glowdot

Good news! We are in beta and our beta stages are typically really short. We're putting in some extra work to try to support older devices like the iPhone 4 a little better and putting the finishing touches on the sound and UI.

Looks like there's a really good chance the game will be out in November!

5. glowdot

Another gameplay video, played on an iPad 3. This video shows another campaign (Spring), at night with rainy weather.

In Playground Wars, everything can have an effect on your units. For example, the base "peon" unit has a disadvantage at night (costs more to recruit). The water gunners have an attack disadvantage (water guns are less effective in the rain since everyone is already wet!).

This video also shows 2 different perks than in the previous video: the Toddler Swarm (a swarm of small units that mows down enemies) and the Juice Express (boosts currency production for a limited time).

6. glowdot

Web Preview is up!

While we wait for the game to be released in the app store, you can preview Playground Wars on the web right now:

Playground Wars Web Preview

7. royalinalk

royalinalk New Member

If you watch the video all the way through you'll get a taste of how much content I've managed to squeeze into 50MB so far.....

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I always loved Cartoon Wars, I'll definitely give this a shot :)

9. glowdot

JCho133 I think you'll find the two games similar enough that if you enjoyed one you'll enjoy the other, but Playground Wars is a more "controlled" experience. Later in the game it get extremely hectic with waves of enemies and chaos all over the screen, but timing and strategy are really important in our game.

On of the ways we tried to improve on the genre was to make it less of a "how many buttons can you hit" experience where it doesn't matter what units you recruit what how many units you recruit.

As an example, in the third campaign during testing my strategy was to bring in fast generating, low cost units and just hurl them at the enemy team and I lasted maybe 20 seconds each time. Then I switched to the expensive, fully upgraded, elite units that you can only build one at a time, and swept through. So you really need to plan and think about the best way to attack a level.

Anyway hope you got a chance to play the web preview!

10. glowdot

Good news! Apple has approved the game and the release is set for:

iOS: Thursday, December 5, 2013
    Android: Thursday, December 5, 2013

11. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Awesome!