Playdek Sale: Ascension, Summoner Wars, Nightfall, Food Fight

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by Card, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    Ascension is definitely the best iOS card game of any sort I have played. Much easier to pick up and play than Nightfall, which is great too ;).

Personally Summoner Wars didn't do anything for me, but I think I am in the minority - plus I have an iPhone and this is really an iPad game.

These are games where the IAPs enhance the basic game so much, that you should not miss out.

I do not have food fight though. Wasn't sure about this as there are very few reviews around and the UK AppStore has any a couple of ratings and one very critical review.

Any advice on this one is appreciated.

Cheers, Mark :)

2. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Works fine for me.

3. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Buy everything. That is all.

As for Nightfall, it's the most immediately overwhelming of the games, but it's actually pretty straightforward once you get the hang of it. It's true that new players can sit through an entire game and not really understand anything that happened, but once the pieces fall into place, the difficulty comes from tactical responses and situational awareness rather than a struggle against the game rules.

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    For me, Summoner Wars comes out on top, followed by Ascension. Foodfight isnt as good as any of the rest.

5. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Just got storm of souls for $1. Get on it ppl

6. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    just grabbed food fight if i end up not liking it well what the hell for 1 buck and give a little support to playdek is still good

7. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Not here, yet. I'd have had it by now, but bought the actual set for SoS and hadn't been playing on iPad.

If anyone is interested in Food Fight, check out the game at BGG or somewhere. My take on it was that the game is well implemented by Playdek on ios, but I can't stand the game. If you know you like Food Fight, it's a no-brainer (and you probably already have it).

8. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Sales are live in the US.

9. Ausar

Ausar Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2012
    BCN
    well i got a really placent surprise with food fight is really enjoyable but then again is really easy to pick up, the only bad thing is the multiplayer mode is practically empty maybe with this sale some people come back but for now is going to stay on my device with ascension, nightfall and summoners wars

10. aoisora

aoisora Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Grabbed bundled offer from summoner wars for 4.99. Great deal.
    I bought ascension, nightfall, foodfight, summoner wars all in day 1.

So far, ascension is the best for me. Easy to pick up, not too complicated, multiplayer is great.

Nightfall is the hardest

11. Card

Card Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    I heard the summoners wars AI is too easy... anyone getting value out of the single player summoners war?

12. Rokrdude

Rokrdude Well-Known Member

May 14, 2011
    Grabbed summoner wars and ascension expansions
    Already had rest of their games:)

But looks the game I have been waiting for since the start of the year "Agricola" has been delayed again:(

13. drdreh

drdreh Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2012
    I'm not good at card games, I have no patience for the tutorials .. But I'm really enjoying the Ascencion!
    But the Summoner I dont know how to play ...

14. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Does the Ascencion have a campaign?
    Bought it + all the expansions.
    But all I do = play all, click the cards I want, and kill de red cards.
    winning everytime, and that's it.. kinda borring if you ask me.
    Unless I am missing something here :confused:
    Oh I am playing offline.

15. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Try upping the difficulty? There's 2 levels of difficulty. In the beginning I used to always hit play all, but eventually saw that there are times you don't want to play all, or you want to play the cards in a specific order.

Picked up Food Fight and finding it to be pretty fun. There's an actual "campaign" where it seems like your earning a few cards? As some have mentioned..it's pretty much a game of war with some twists. Either way, it's feels like a pretty fun game that I can relax with and can shut my mind off. ;P

16. shero89

shero89 Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2012
    guys I kinda suck at Food Fight :( started the campaign and keep losing what am I missing here :(

17. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    How active is multiplayer for Nightfall and Food Fight?

18. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Food Fight multiplayer is almost dead. Food Fight requires a lot of back and forth (at least one back and forth for every card played) so an asynchronous game will last an insanely long time.

Nightfall is much more lively but suffers from the back and forth aspect as well. There is also no log so it's difficult to keep track of what cards you purchased in an asynchronous game. The Martial Law expansion which is coming soon will also help bring some more interest to online play.

19. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    You can actually see your own deck in Nightfall now, and in a 2p game you can figure out your opponent's purchases from looking at the archive and removing your purchases. it gets more complicated in 3+, and it can be very hard to remember which starters were removed from your opponent's deck.

20. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    I suck at card games in general and am also just starting out in Food Fight..but the general things seem to work in the campaign so far. I favor cards that match the meal that's in play. Then I like the units that gain yumness when you discards from a particular meal (ie: say its breakfast, and you have lunch cards you're not going to use. And you have a dinner card that gains yumness for each lunch card you discard.). Then I look at the instants I see which meal it helps. I'm still learning the cards an I'm sure what I'm generally doing will change..but I've been doing fine in the campaign. Keep in mind Things change depending on cards thats dealt to me so notjings set in stone. Hope this helps you a little...