Play iCade compatible games with any Mac game controller

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kode80, Sep 10, 2012.

1. kode80

kode80 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    See interests :)
    Florida
    I mentioned this in the Oh Hi! Octopi! thread but figured it would be worth giving it it's own thread.

I've just released Simul80 1.2 which is a free OSX app that simulates iOS joysticks such as the iCade or GameTel. What this means is you can connect your iOS device to your Mac via Bluetooth and use any plugged in controllers to control iCade compatible games right on your device.

Since iOS sees your Mac as a Bluetooth keyboard this works with all existing games and does not require jailbreaking. In the video below you can see me setup Simul80 to play Oh Hi! Octopi! using a PS3 controller!

2. wakaranai

wakaranai Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Great job kode80! Too bad I don't have a mac to try it out with -_-

Any chance of a Windows port?

If this works with Blutrol, fighting games will be so much easier to play!

3. kode80

kode80 Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2011
    See interests :)
    Florida
    Unfortunately it's unlikely for the time being. To get Simul80 working I had to essentially create a virtual Bluetooth keyboard in software. This is how iOS devices are able to connect - to them the Mac appears as a real BT keyboard. This was a non-trivial task and it's been a long time since I've done any Windows coding so to rewrite it for Win would be a lot of work. I'm just one guy so time is limited.

As I mentioned in the other thread though, if a Windows coder wants to take a crack at it I'd be more than happy to discuss my findings and give any tips to help. :)