Universal Plasma Sky (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Mar 17, 2013.

1. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    This game is perfect. Please don't tinker with it. Love it. Love it. Love it.

2. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Judging by what is already being offered here, I have no worries about him tinkering. It will only lead to more quality content.

I just went back to Conquest mode and realized that the multiplier is reset when you get hit. This is devilishly delicious. I think I might even like Conquest mode better than Hardcore now because of this.

Volbard, any chance of tightening up the spread shot a little (less of a fan pattern)?

3. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Volbard, do the multiplier orbs count for anything after you have them maxed out, or do they continue to drop with no value? It would be cool if they counted for something after you hit 20.

4. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    It is fantastic. Only thing I'd like is different difficulties on Conquest. I'd actually prefer that over new modes/levels. I'm far from being a great shump player, but after coming from Cave games and the work of Sunny Tam, this is just a tad too easy.

There was talk of an endless mode, but varying difficulties would be my preference. I like having waves/levels (one reason I have a harder time getting into Phoenix HD than others).

5. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    I have to say that this game is deceiving in terms of difficulty. Once you realize that everything you do comes down to one hit, it becomes much more challenging. The fact that you lose your multiplier after one hit in Conquest mode changes my outlook on the difficulty for sure.

I'd like to see an extra level of difficulty with an emphasis on more enemies and more firepower.

6. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    That's more what I was referring to. I'm not a huge score chaser.

7. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    It's funny you say that, because up until recently, neither was I. I really never payed attention to the Leaderboards at all for anything. However, with Danmaku 2 and now Plasma Deliciousness I mean Sky, I find myself starting to get into it. It's hard to separate the scoring from titles like these.

My interest usually is focused on all the other elements of a game first, especially the weapons, since the weapons are what connects you with the action. If everything clicks with me, then the scoring becomes a nice bonus. I would never play a game just for the score.

Then you have a title like Dariusburst, where score is the absolute last thing on my mind.

But yeah, more difficulty reflected through more enemies and more firepower, instead of just making everything that is already there harder to kill.

8. Volbard

Volbard Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Aww, thanks! Still tinkering though!

I can look at it, is it too hard to focus fire when you have it? I accounted for missed shots when I figured out the damage curve.

There aren't actually any multiplier orbs, the multiplier counts up over time. The orange orbs fill the meter at the top of the screen, and power up your ship. I may be totally misunderstanding you. :)

Try using tilt controls. It's harder and it feels like you're flying a space-ship. Whoosh!

I could add a difficulty setting, I can easily change the health, speed, and aggressiveness of enemies. I'll try it out and see if it feels right. It's not going to be a bullet-hell though! :)

9. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #89 SumoSplash, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    I should be banned from this forum and from gaming permanently for not noticing this. I thought the little orbs were powering the multiplier. I think this is because the orbs are so continual in their drops coupled with the multiplier raising all by itself that I perceived the orbs as relating to the multiplier. UGH! Sorry. So the orbs power your ship for upgrades? Awesome!

In terms of the spread shots... Just a little tighter. From an artistic perspective, I think it would look better if the shots were slightly closer together, and I also feel they flare a little too much from an effectiveness perspective. They just need a little less space in between the shots.

EDIT: Yeah, I see now. You weapons will drop in power without the orbs. I mean, I noticed them dropping in power, but, yeah, never mind! LOL.

Yes, just looked at the spread shots. Definitely closer together for my preference. You know what I think they should resemble? Have you played Monster Shooter: Lost Levels? The combat shotgun. THAT type of spread. Maybe even some tiny particles in between the larger shots, so it would be big bullet, particle, particle, big bullet, etc., while being spaced closer together.

10. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    You really want us to use those tilt controls don't you, because that is what you originally intended being the main control scheme haha. And then your friends talked sense into you and said to put relative touch in there too. Can I shake their hands?

This game is the OPPOSITE of bullet hell, in that there are less bullets and they are SNEAKY. Curse those purple bullets from the snakes! :eek::mad:

11. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    where is SyntheticVoid at figured he would of gobbled this game up I got it day 1 but still have not played it, wanted to actually beat a game before buying anymore... Im a appstore hoarder buy games and never play them....Just about through with NightSky so awesome....this game is awesome by the way! the screen shots alone sold it for me!

12. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I gotta admit, the game does look great without iPad retina. I'm not as distraught as I am with some games. Not at all in fact, but I think it'd look better if you could at least get some high-res assets for the UI. Everything in motion looks absolutely fine, it's just the few static parts that show rough edges.

Not really a priority, just me nitpicking, but if you want something to polish up for an update, there it is.

13. Volbard

Feb 26, 2011
    Interesting idea, I'll try that out and see how it looks. Could be cool!

Thanks man!

Glad you're ok with it, I actually fixed up one of the enemies for the first patch. The green one was a little blurry. I'll take another look at the UI images, I probably have plenty of video memory to make those larger.

14. MelonMasher

MelonMasher Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Petroleum Logistics Scheduler
    Texas
    Nice game, bought and posted a review, good job dev!

15. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Besides the spread shot idea, an extra wingman would pretty much be the cats claw.

Oh, and one more thing... Please don't be offended by my incessant suggestions. I know I can be really forward. The truth is your game is fantastic as is and could never be touched at all with an update and that would be fine by I'm sure every person on this forum, myself included. I think my 'inner developer' takes over. You know, like that ex-jock douche father who insists on coaching the little league team to compensate for his own shortcomings. Well, I guess it's not THAT extreme, but I love a good shooter and if I see an idea I often can't contain expressing it. So, take it with a grain of salt :p

Keep up the good work and thanks for being so active on here. Between playing the game itself and sharing ideas here, it's definitely a good time.

16. Volbard

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks MelonMasher!

I agree, but multiple wingmen will be a little tricky internally, since I didn't plan for it. There's a good chance I'll do this, but I won't squeeze it into the first patch since I'm sure there will be bugs. I'll find those while testing the new game-modes.

I like hearing your suggestions, keep 'em coming! A lot of them are reminders of things I wanted to do anyway, like add muzzle flare to all the player shots. Working on that now. :)

17. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Yeah, I think one more wingman would be great. Three wingmen would be outstanding! :D I can never get enough of them. I also like the motion of the wingman in relation to your ship, in that it doesn't move exactly with it. This also makes for a nice weapon pattern, since the shots of your ship and those of the wingman overlap and intersect each other.

Glad you don't mind the suggestions. Plenty more where these came from :eek:

18. mikky

mikky Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2012
    Super responsive controls, gorgeous graphics, and rocking music. Just a great, polished classic shooter all around. If you enjoyed Galaga back in the day, grab this.

19. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Just picked this up and beat the game. Fun stuff. I used the high sensivity option (the normal felt "sluggish" to me). I like how the length is short and to the point. Thanks for a fun game!

20. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Volbard, there are definitely some different opinions on the length. I guess that leaves it open for you to have maybe a shorter game mode and a longer game mode :) Maybe since the time mode you're making will be shorter (I'm assuming) it would make the most sense to add to Conquest.