Universal Plasma Sky (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Volbard

Volbard Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks!

I was definitely inspired by Warblade, it's a really great shooter.

I like Higher for touch controls and Normal for tilt. I'm the only one who likes tilt aren't I? Good thing my friends talked me out of making that the only control mode!

2. Volbard

Feb 26, 2011
    Thank you, that makes me feel good! You should have a mini-review column, in those few sentences you totally sold me on the game. If you would write a review in the store, I'd sure appreciate it.

I didn't put any nag screens in the game, so I'm nagging you all here. Please stop by the store and leave a review, it would help me a lot. :)

Looks like I'm adding more modes!

I'll start with this one after time trial is in.

You're probably right, but I'm always bad at sales pitches. I'll try to come up with something!

I registered Plasma Sky with Apple to get the leaderboards working, but then I got too busy at work and had to stop development for a bit until Torchlight 2 shipped. There's a time limit on how long you can have a game registered without releasing it, and I missed it, so now I'm not allowed to use that name anymore in Apple's system. I assume the goal is to prevent people from camping on good game names like they do with domains, but it's a bummer. I'm just glad I got the game out before I had to go to an underscore or something. :)

Thanks!

It's not iCade compatible, sorry. I'll check into adding support, but I've never actually used an iCade so I can't promise anything.

I was going for Galaga style gameplay. Maybe I should have called them waves? I mentioned to one of the Jamestown devs that I was planning to have 80 levels, and he thought I was insane until I explained that they were short.

It's out now!

3. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Description:
    Plasma Sky is a shiny new space shoot-em-up featuring 80 levels, lots of power-ups, and multiple game modes. It's universal, and there are no in app purchases.
    Nothing to add. My new Warblade.
    Had it on my radar, but thanks Gabrien.

And congrats to you Devs, very well done !

4. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    I wrote a review of this game on IndieGameMag.com, but it's not up yet. I'll post the review once it goes live (hopefully today). Fun game!

5. Volbard

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks, it's just me! :)

Great news, thanks for checking it out!

6. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    Yep right, forgot the credits. Just you.
    Well then folks, a reason more to support this one-man-show with
    a fantastic shooter, every fan should own, no kidding !

Playing Conquest and lost in 'Area' 51...incredible (fast) enemies
    and bullet-patterns are showing up, still.

Maybe a few 'start at level xx' as an option would be nice.
    Could be 15/30/45...some like that.

7. bugsland

bugsland Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Doh! That's a shame, shooters are great on iCade. Having said that I really enjoyed playing battle squadron directly on the iPad screen :)

Your game looks very good... Temptation ;)

8. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Just to summarize my own thoughts and what others have said, additional content might look something like this after the time trial mode you want to do:

-Randomized enemy patterns, either as a mode or in general.
    -For Conquest mode... Looking at the 80 levels/waves you have, I would round it off to 100, group them into segments of 20, make each wave a little longer and put a cool boss at the end of each of the segments of 20. So, basically 5 boards with 20 waves in each and 5 boss fights. The Conquest right now is too quick and needs to be broken up with delicious boss fights.
    -A mode where you can choose your own weapon drops.

Not that you needed a summary. Just thinking out loud here :eek:

9. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Bump :rolleyes:

10. Volbard

Feb 26, 2011
    I'll do the randomized mode for sure!

I'd better just start with that, I'm not sure if an extra 20 levels in the main mode will make much difference, I'd probably better just use the time to make random mode fun. If I figure out a good system to mix up how levels are put together, it'll feel like a ton of new levels.

11. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    For what it's worth, to me the length of levels feels just right: the constant (subtle) shifts in gameplay from one style to another is very much part of the appeal.

Also @Volbard: you worked on Torchlight 2? You really don't know much about marketing, do you. :p Try mentioning that fact somewhere in the description... And web sites... Heck, write it on toilet walls.

12. Volbard

Feb 26, 2011
    Haha, you're probably right, but it seems really weird to me to bring it up. They're not really related. Actually I did create a loot table system that's based off of Torchlight's, and I used similar particle techniques.. Ok, so you're right. I'll try to work it in when I update with some review quotes.

13. diaskeaus

diaskeaus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Don't feel bad - as creators it is tough sometimes even seeing what makes the products we make different from the others. Don't take that all on by yourself. Ask people you trust what they think and the things they enjoy, and don't forgetto brag about things you tried to implement in order to make it better than other games.

14. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    It took me around 25 minutes to complete the conquest mode. (Tried to keep track of time on my second play through).

Really the appeal to experienced shooters would be the "don't get hit" hardcore mode. The final boss is about as challenging as DU2's first boss when set on easy.

15. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    A little reconfiguring can go a long way.

Oh yeah, like YOUR opinion matters around here.

Just kidding! :p

Hehe.

16. poppichicken

poppichicken Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2012
    South Australia
    #56 poppichicken, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    Really fantastic game!

At first I thought it was merely "very very good", but with a bit more play, I noticed the multiplier, the way the upgrades work, the ranking system, and I began to enjoy the game even more. Especially once I realised how much not-getting-hit affects all of these aspects.

It's an absolutely SUPERB score-attack game, and it will stay on my phone for a long time.

Thanks for the heads-up Gabrien, and thanks for the game Volbard!

17. Volbard

Feb 26, 2011
    Thanks, that's great to hear! I'm kind of counting on it being interesting to figure out mechanics like through playing. Glad you like it!

18. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    Dido

19. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Joining the chorus here. Just played it on my iPad 4 and it's just fantastic.

20. SumoSplash

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    The farther you get into Hardcore mode, the more things ramp up. There was a large, rotating, circular boss that shoots lasers from various points, which, from what I can remember, was not present anywhere in Conquest mode.

It will be very cool to see where this game is taken with random enemy patterns.