Universal Plasma Sky (Universal)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gabrien, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Volbard

Volbard Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Hey guys, this is my game. You're way ahead of me, I was going to post here in the morning!

I'm floored by your comments, thanks so much. I was pretty nervous about releasing the game, I'm so happy you like it!

I'm going to add a new mode soon called survival. It's time based, so games are guaranteed to be short, which I think is fun for quick score competitions between friends. A lot of you seem to want the opposite, please tell me more about what you think would be cool. Would you like random infinite waves?

Thanks again for all the kind words, you guys are great!

2. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #22 SumoSplash, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    Wait until morning? HA! Um, no :D

I would love a mode where you as the player can pick and choose which power-ups drop. For example, I prefer a power/focus type of weapon, so I would pick the laser power-up to drop and not pick the spread shot. This way, the player could determine more so how he plays instead of just what the game gives you. It wouldn't even have to be a mode for the Leaderboards; it would be more so for a single player experience.

I'd also love to see more content for Conquest mode. I zipped through those 80 boards. Or, maybe an extra difficulty setting above what is already available.

Endless, RANDOM waves is always a plus. That adds oodles of gameplay. The time limit mode would not be as appealing to me as what I just mentioned.

3. diaskeaus

diaskeaus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Hey Volbard, this game looks cool but you need a better description. Tell us what sets the game apart from the competition.

4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Seeing as you've been a member of the forum for a couple of years, I can't exactly welcome you to TouchArcade. I can however say it's awesome of you to join us in this thread. :p

I can't really say much about the game, since everyone's beaten me to it. Yep, definitely one of the best shmups on iOS, and definitely comes off as a labor of love...especially when you check out the credits. :)

Can't recommend this game enough...check it out folks!

(Before anyone asks, yes...I'm trying to hold back asking why the title of the app on the app store is Plasma-Sky and not just Plasma Sky. >_> Damnit! Could'nt help myself. :p)

5. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Congrats on your game, i love vector/neon style games but was getting bored with the usual twin stick Infinity field type of game. This is great, controls work very well, and i love it that its a 'modern day Gorf' ! Gorf to any people who dont know was a very old arcade game in the early 80's which had different levels, eg Space Invaders/Galaxians etc. For its time it was stunning as similar games just had the same type of screen/wave all the time.

This i really like, not just the graphics but the variety. I need to check its iCade compatible, presume its not but Mr Dev - Would be great if it was !!!

Anyway congrats on your game, this is what i love about iOS gaming, yeah you get the huge titles come out but these types of games which appear, hidden gems ! Love it

6. Capronissimo71

Capronissimo71 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Male
    Italy
    Just bought the game. I couldn't resist! ;)

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Fun game but even though 80 levels sounds like a lot, each is very short. So I'd love to see more levels as well as perhaps a medium and hard difficulty (the default definitely seems easy so that's covered).

Otherwise I love the style and gameplay itself. Recommended!

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah my only tiny criticism is that i wish the levels were longer, i was quite stunned when it seemed after 10/15 seconds it then said level 2.

But saying that i havent played many of the later levels yet, but wish each level could just be a bit longer

Still a very very impressive game

9. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Great game. Love the beam weapons and vector graphics. Only 5mb! When is the android version due out?

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Think the description is fine and very honest. Has a lot of levels, you can read from people here who have bought it, youtube videos, screenshots etc and the price of a burger or two.

You can tell by the people raving about the game how good it is.

11. Canthar

Canthar Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Game is great and highly recommended. I do wish there was a mode where you could get persistent power ups, or even select them beforehand and then see how far you could get. I just like tinkering with various things.

Nice work. Got 5 stars from me.

12. bugsland

bugsland Active Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Looks nice but does it support iCade?

13. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    This seems like a nice shmup for the casual crowd.

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #34 Vovin, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
    I really like the app's description. Made me laugh a few times.
    It's quite cheeky but brutally honest and convincing, lol.

And the dev's name rings a bell... Dances With Wolves?

15. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Just found it and bought it. It's great that you support both platforms. I wish Phoenix HD and Danmaku2 were available on android and wp8.

16. Fil2

Fil2 Well-Known Member

May 29, 2011
    Saw Plasma Sky last week and liked the video of it.

Guess the game is as good as Super Crossfire although it is kind of different?

17. diaskeaus

diaskeaus Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2013
    Yeah, I'm not worried about TouchArcade folks, but for Apple Store folks. Cheeky, a little funny, but overly generic when it seems the game is nothing but. Huge bosses, old school power-ups, different game modes, and other things should make it stand out which could generate more downloads and interest for non TA users. Yet most of those are not really expressed well.

I will definitely get this, but that is only cause I read the reviews here. App Store reviews are generally poorly written and a bit untrustworthy in my experience, but that will be where most of the downloads are coming from.

18. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Two things: I was already a little dubious about it not supporting iPad retina, so can anyone post a couple of screens for me? Also, just to get an idea on length... longer or shorter than a run through DU2?

19. Volbard

Volbard Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm going to be posting a bunch of responses soon, but I wanted to link to this first review in-case it's helpful:

http://www.bitmaiden.com/indie/reviews/plasma-sky-review/

I'm sure you guys are right about the iTunes page needing some work, I'll try to improve it. I'm not really a marketing guy. :)

20. m44

m44 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2013
    Hardcore doesn't really need it's own mode. You could just play Conquest and whenever you take damage that would be your Hardcore score.

I would really like to see more levels/waves in Conquest. And another difficulty mode. There are some interesting patterns that could be added to. :)