iPad Plants vs Zombies (by Popcap Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Feb 14, 2010.

1. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

Crap no. I did but I didn't see the single mention of iPad. That's where I failed.

Plus it's been so long I just assumed it would never happen.

This is THE update I've wanted since getting my first gen iPad.

2. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Did the iPad version lack the zen garden prior to this update? (I own the iPhone version, so I wouldn't know.) The update for the iPhone version doesn't add much, but hey, a new minigame is better than nothing, I guess.

3. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    yup, the zen garden and minigames.... the ipad version lacked too much compared to the ipod version

4. Dazarath

Mar 21, 2010
    Wow, I can see why some of the responses in this thread sounded annoyed then. For the extra money they charge for the iPad version, the least they could do would be to match the updates on the iPhone version.

5. Brimah

Brimah Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Glad the iPad version is finally getting the update it needed.

But, still not happy with the iPhone version as still no survival endless! That was my favorite mode on PC and wish they would add it to the iPhone version :(

6. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
    well while i never got that for into the game on the PC, i did get everything done on the PS3... and even on the PS3, after waves 30+ the game lagged a lot...

If you've seen that on the PC version, imagine how an ipod would fare against that when usually a freshly restarted ipod has 120-130 free Ram, and usually a good PC nowadays has 2 gigs

7. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    I can tell you that it took at TON of game rewrite to get this to the level where it could include everything, yet still run smoothly on an iPod Touch 4th gen as well as the new iPad, AND contain everything that the PC version contains. It's not surprising it took as long as it did once you know what went into it. I'm glad it's finally out! And works well, too!

8. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    The update for the iPhone required a complete rewrite of the beginning, so that the game would load and play well on lesser-memory iPod Touch 4th gens. It wasn't easy ditching stuff, yet maintaining the "look". I'm glad they finally figured out how. It took quite a while and a ton of crash reports to do so. ;)

9. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Huh? I have been playing on iPod 2g (!) prior to this latest update and it worked pretty well.
    Except for, possibly, that 2K sun achievement on Last Stand. But maybe I just suck at fine-tuned long-term defense strategy.

Hm... my ancient device appears to be supported by this update. Nice.

10. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    Do I get any bonus beating single player again or beating it a waste of time?

11. Quantum Apocalypse

Quantum Apocalypse Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    You get an achievement for finding the Yeti Zombie somewhere through the 2nd play through :)

On my 2nd Gen iPod, the Column like you See 'em makes it crash each time it gets to the later stages :p

12. andsoitgoes

Does anyone else have the problem where Survival mode now locked since the iPad update?

I know once the first update launched, survival was there and available, but between then and now (and the other maintenance update that dropped today) it has become locked.

I am going to send popcap an email about this, but I'd sure like to know I'm at least not alone!

13. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    I'm locked aswell

14. andsoitgoes

Yes, and I got the constant run around whenever I'd ask popcap support about it. The Zen Garden unlocked for the iPod and iPhone quite some time back and it seemed like they simply had no interest in doing anything. I get that the development status is a secret but it was frustrating, seeing as we paid triple the price for a fraction of the game.

Uh, the iPhone / iPod zen garden launched eons ago on lesser devices, the iPads are equivalent to the 3GS/4/4S and there isn't much reason that they shouldn't have launched them all at the same time, but that's just my opinion.

15. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    Same here. I assume it's the same for everyone, there are comments on the App Store about it and on Popcap's forums. I've filled in the support form on Popcap's website, it said to expect a reply within two working days so I'll let you know what they say.

16. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    #1256 Tannorexic, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
    Quick guide for earning quick Money to get your zen garden going.

Unlock mini game " last stand"

Your 8 slots should be: fume shroom, gloom shroom ( unlock at crazy daves) coffee bean, lillypad, magnet, pumpkin, marigold, garlic.

If you have 9 slots unlocked - also add gold magnet (crazy daves 3k)

First 4 rows (even pool with Lilly pads) should be marigolds.

Then add 4 more Lilly pads in the pool, directly after marigolds, put pumpkins on them, then magnets inside. Also put 1 magnet on each side of the lawn next to the pumpkins ( without pumpkin casings)

Then row 1 and 6 should have a pumpkin, and a fume shroom inside.

Then the 2 rows directly on the lawn on either side of the pool (2 and 4) on the very last space (or first in zombies perspective) should have a garlic, and garlic in the 1 space directly above those 2 garlics

Then directly above the garlic should have gloom shrooms, the space above also the same (gloom shrooms)

(vertically should be gloom,gloom, garlic, garlic) on both sides.(row 2,4)

Use coffee beans to awake all sleeping mushrooms and magnets.

If you have gold magnet, just make one of the normal magnets golden ( don't feed the magnet your going to turn golden a coffee bean, it doesn't need it, just plant gold magnet directly on top of a sleeping magnet without feeding coffee)

This setup will earn you around 8k per completion of mini game. Only takes a few minutes. Your main priority should be collecting coins ( if you have no golden magnet)

If you have a gold magnet, you can also add a second gold magnet and delete a marigold, after flag one when you earn enough suns to buy another magnet + gold magnet 150 suns)

You'll also have to replace all garlics after flag 2, 3 and 4. You'll earn enough suns to do so.
    I usually just replace them once they get eaten by zombies but some ppl just replace them after flag 2, 3 and 4 because the game stops for a while so you can prepare.

M: marigold
    Z:Magnet
    () pumpkin
    G : GLOOM
    X: blank
    L: garlic
    F : fume

1 MMMM(F) Xxxx
    2 MMMM Z GGLL
    3 MMMM(Z)(Z)xx
    4 MMMM(Z)(Z)xx
    5 MMMM Z GGLL
    6 MMMM(F) xxx

It may look tricky but it's actually easy
    Once you do it once you learn the pattern and it's easy to setup.
    Done this 10 times today and bought lots of stuff for my zen garden because I wasted all my money on other stuff when I lost hope that iPad users would ever get zen garden..so I needed quick cash to get the ball rolling. I usually don't like shortcuts, but this is good.

It also gives you chocolate and random plants..got 5 plants from this today: chili, flame totem, pea shooter and 2x the tangle pool guy.

My zen garden is coming along nicely after just one day

17. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    #1257 HLW, Apr 22, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
    You don't acutally need any magnets, I use:
    1 MMMM(M) xxxx
    2 MMM g G GGLL
    3 MMMM(M)(M)xxx
    4 MMMM(M)(M)xxx
    5 MMM g G GGLL
    6 MMMM(M) xxxx

Where g = gold magnet

18. Dazarath

Mar 21, 2010
    If you skimp on the magnets, you run the risk of getting blown up by the zombies with the musical box.

19. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    They've never blown me up, so if it does happen, it must be quite rare.

20. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    Tested Hlws formula but the pumpkins kept getting eaten through and couldn't make it through the final flag.
    I prefer getting through to the end for the 1k bonus. But I swear the zombies get stronger the more times you play. Wouodnt surprise me since they added coins for IAP..they want it to be difficult to make easy coins