Universal Plants vs. Zombies 2 - (by PopCap)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 9, 2013.

1. ironshod-dave

ironshod-dave Member

Feb 3, 2010
    I don't think so, the app store page for it doesn't mention iCloud.
    I played through the first few levels on my iPad and fired it up on my iPhone, nothing has sync'd.
    The TA post mentioned it was a custom sync, but I haven't seen anywhere to log in. I didn't link my facebook account, so maybe that is it?

Definitely interested to find out how this works!

2. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's not. One of the first things I did when this issue arose and such claims were being made was to open both games side-by-side and compare the two directly. The original PvZ tends to use heavy black lines around pretty much everything, which is a cheap but effective way presenting the illusion of being more defined, while PvZ2 edges the units using their own core colours (so a peashooter will have a green outline, a coconut cannon brown, and a traffic cone orange, rather than all simply being black), which makes them blend into their surroundings more.

PvZ has a scrappy "advanced Flash game" aesthetic that people took a shine to, but the quality of the art and level of detail in the environments, units and animations have been overwhelmingly improved in the sequel. Simply comparing the same plants in action between the two games is like night and day (which is somewhat ironic really, considering that the original game's night mode doesn't actually exist yet in any of the sequel's current three worlds).

3. Elfanger

Elfanger Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Is the garden mode available in this?

4. Bathplug

Bathplug Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    #144 Bathplug, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    I'm trying to get more stars. How do I produce atleast a certain amount of sun challenge. I never have nowhere near the amount required before the level ends. I have enough keys to get that twin sunflower but is that required so early on though to help with these challenges because I'd prefer to unlock other plants before that one.

5. Scorpion008

Scorpion008 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    I always have three rows of sunflowers in PvZ 1, so try that. You will need potato mines at the beginning. Btw, what extra modes are there to add to the main mode?

6. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    and i would strongly recommend getting the twin sunflower, it makes life easier.
    The star levels are often tough enough.

7. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Well, if you're undertaking a challenge that requires generating a lot of sun, it makes sense that you might need a plant suited to the job. If you're having trouble with the earlier sun challenges and don't want to unlock the twin sunflower, then you might want to consider digging up your offensive plants after killing all but one enemy on the final wave, and then keeping the last zombie in place with a powered-up wall-nut while your sunflowers generate the rest of the required power.

You'll find that the twin sunflower comes in handy in many other places, however, including challenges that restrict the number of plants you are allowed to have in play at any given time.

8. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #148 mr.Ugly, Jul 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
    well just became a kiwi and downloaded pvz2 and the first update was an asset update and it looks pretty fine with the retina assets (of course a big heavily compressed pvrtc textures but anyway)

:D

edit : played a dozen missions and why on earth is this free? could be easily paid with iap for coins to rush things like unlocks etc.. odd choice so faar, not sure where and when the pay wall arrives.. nothing in sight yet

9. Screwguy

Screwguy Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    $2.99 to unlock a single plant :-( and there lots of plants to unlock..damn!

10. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Check out my earlier post in this thread; at this point I'm close to having completed all of the content currently available in the game, and I haven't spent a single cent of real money.

There are only six paid plants, and (currently) twenty-six free ones. The game can be beaten quite handily without using a single IAP plant.

11. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    This one is easy even without the dual sunflower. Basically use ALL/MOST of your plant foods on sunflowers. You should be able to pass the sun mark easily :) I was able to do all of them without the dual. Some even say you can't build over a certain number or use XXX sun so the plant food is your best friend.

12. Screwguy

Dec 16, 2010
    So far no PAY WALL Encountered???

13. Screwguy

Dec 16, 2010
    Power ups were placed there just for the reason for us to accidentally tap on :-(

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I already have 17 stars collected (that's about 60% of the first map, which seems to be the only one available right now) and so far IAP isnt required.

BUT without IAPs we'll miss out on some IAP-only plants.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Well... I havent "accidentally" tapped on anything yet, and for how far i've gotten into the game, i still havent had the need to use any.

So far, so good.

16. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I didnt unlock the dual sunflower yet when i first completed that mission, and all it took was a powered up (plant food) wallnut, with no pea shooters on that lane.

17. Bathplug

Bathplug Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Yes I managed to do those challenges, played the level as normal then for the final batch of zombies I make sure to hold one back with a powered up walnut on one lane while I collect the sun.

Also got 25 stars and unlocked pirate seas. No pay wall so far. Assuming the rest of the game is like this then your only really missing out on a few plants but I'm sure you can get by just fine without them.

18. Appletini

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I'll say it again: I've completed most of the game (the entire main story and over two-thirds of the optional stars thus far), and I haven't had to spend any real money whatsoever.

Also note that the challenges in the later worlds on become a lot more... "interesting" than the ones in the first world.

19. Elfanger

Elfanger Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2010
    Is the Garden mini game still available?

20. Sabaki

Sabaki Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    I see some peeps have gone past Egypt without collecting 40 stars.
    Mine won't allow me to use the stargate without 40 stars. You guys pay to pass through?