Universal Plants vs. Zombies 2 - (by PopCap)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Here are my comments, I am greatly enjoying this game, I don't even notice it being freemium, it has way more variety in enemy types and level strategy, having a blast. TA has just turned into a place where a lot of people instantly explode if free to play gets mentioned. Here's how to make it go from a freemium game into a regular game: ignore the store button. Tadaa.

2. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    Popcap should release a premium version. The f2p price tag scares a bunch of gamers.

3. Zentatsu

Zentatsu Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Philippines
    The first one cost $ .99(actually free a while ago) while this one cost free but there's $18 to unlock all the plants?

4. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Best comment so far!

Noone knows when the plants are unlockable or are really only premium, but popcap says you can unlock everything inthe game without Iap.

5. Stream

Stream Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Student
    Australia
    Ah, the game crashes instantly on iPhone 5, running iOS 7 Beta 3.

6. bullseye1975

bullseye1975 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2012
    #106 bullseye1975, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    When signing up for a NZ account, how do you get past the billing screen?

7. squashy

squashy Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2013
    *burp*
    The Garden of Sinners
    You must sign up by downloading a free app to have the "None" option.

8. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im almost on the second map, and i'd have more ideas on the plants.

On the first area though, plants you can unlock are shown, and NONE of them are on the list of IAP plants. I hope im wrong, but that strongly suggests to me that there will be more plants to unlock, but none of them will be from the IAP plants. I surely hope it's paranoia... And i hope this soft launch will make EA decide to drop the price a bit.

9. Flare_TM

Flare_TM Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2011
    #109 Flare_TM, Jul 10, 2013
    Are there more levels than the original PvZ?

10. Phoenix24

Phoenix24 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 7, 2012
    Lancashire, England
    Played through the first couple of Egypt levels and it feels just like the original but with better graphics and animations.

I like that the map shows you what items are unlocked later on, however suspect that the better items will be found in the later worlds.

Doesn't feel freemium so far, but I had to create a NZ account just to find out for myself ;)

Hoping that the game is fully unlockable without HAVING to pay, however I have no problem dropping a few £s into this as the original is still one of my favourite iOS games ever, and the greatest TD game as far as I am concerned.

11. Flare_TM

Dec 15, 2011
    #111 Flare_TM, Jul 10, 2013
    Here's how I see it.

Anyone bothered enough to take the time to come to the TA forum for this game can consider themselves at least "above average" compared to the average consumer, thus should have no problem getting through the game without the iap plants.

Therefore you can still enjoy the challenging game (challenging is better than being easy and boring right) with the 28 or so plants it gives you for free and also stick it to EA by playing and enjoying their game without spending a penny.

12. Flare_TM

Dec 15, 2011
    One question though: is this Retina?

I've seen conflicting reports and not sure if it is 100% retina or if its just me being paranoid/seeing things.

Did they maybe reduce the resolution to bring it under the cellular 50mb mark just for the soft launch?

Is there any technical way to extract files from the game to show the resolution to prove it or anything like that?

13. Behnam

Behnam Well-Known Member

Never heard of Defense Grid then?

14. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    well upto now i'm enjoying this a lot !
    I've definately not hit any sort of paywall at all uptil now, and have just got to the end of the pirates world.
    Going back to levels to get star can be tough, trying to get the 3rd star is hard.
    I still don't know if the specific plants are only iap, but to honest at the moment it doesn't really matter cos i'm having a blast.
    As opposed to the dreary repetitive complaints about EA and f2p, give it a go and then voice an opinion.

And to the people who don't like pvz at all, why are you even posting in the thread then ?
    do you honestly think we care ?

15. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I've finished all of the main story levels currently available in the game (the next world is "coming soon"), have almost all of the stars from the first world, several stars from the other worlds, and haven't spent a cent of real money so far. The six IAP plants haven't turned up anywhere else in the game, but there are 26 other free plants to choose from, and these are more than enough to work with.

16. Zetaspawn

Zetaspawn Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    It may have just been placebo, but when I first downloaded it it seemed kind of fuzzy, then there was an in Game additional download and when it finally finished and reloaded the game it looked a lot better, so I think the fully retina assets come in the patch that gets sent to your device in game.

17. bullseye1975

bullseye1975 Well-Known Member

Mar 25, 2012
    Are there enough free keys to unlock all the locks in the game?

I am almost done with Egypt and only have two keys (and need 3, 4, 4, and 5 for various locks).

18. sawyer4325

sawyer4325 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    You have to go back and play the old levels again. You will understand when you finish the Egypt world.

19. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Keys drop randomly from zombies (like the blue gems), so there's no real strategy to farming them. Your best bet is just to go back and work towards earning the three stars for every stage once you reach the end-of-world portal, and take the keys as they come. You can easily finish the game without unlocking every gate, but if you want to open them you'll gain keys fairly consistently while playing each level three times in order earn the stars.

Each key type belongs to the world it is found in, though, so you can't collect them in one world and use them in another.

20. Scorpion008

Scorpion008 Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    Is it against forum rules to advocate installing a PvZ 2 api downloaded from a non-apple source since the game is free anyway? Because that would be a good way for the non NZers to get to try this game. I can give links if I am allowed. You will need iFunbox or something similar though, and probably a jailbroken device.