Universal Plants vs. Zombies 2 - (by PopCap)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Gamer of War

Gamer of War Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Premium Plants: Are they worth it? Pt. 1

Recently, I've been buying some premium plants, just to test if they're as good as they claim to be. So here's what I found:

Snow Pea : What does it do? It shoots freezing peas that slow down zombies.

Everything that this plant can do can already be done by the Winter Melon, and a heck of a lot better. Plant food effect? Freezes all zombies in the row, and shoots the traditional 60 peas. Pfft.

The sun cost is decent (150 sun), but the current price is outrageous. 4 dollars for a Peashooter that freezes zombies? No thanks.

Worth it?: DO NOT BUY THIS.

Power Lily:: Gives 1 Plant Food on use, disappears after use. Has the slowest recharge in the game (Very slow, a little more than 1 minute). Costs 175 Sun. Decent cost (3 bucks).

Longest recharge in the game, for good reasons. IMO, best premium plant (alongside Imitater). May be considered OP and/or gamebreaking.

This has great synergy with Tile Turnips, since you can basically boost your plants whenever you want.

Worth it?: Hell yes.

Squash: So this plant is an insta-kill one. It's as strong as the others (Cherry Bomb, Jalapeño). This plant costs 50 sun. Think of the Squash as a Cherry Bomb with a 1x1 radius. Its plant food effect is awesome, as it can kill a Gargantaur with only 1 plant food! And it costs only 3 bucks!

Good for the first loners, bad at crowd control.

Worth it? It's ok, but there are better options.

2. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Does this work for anyone with iPhone 6? It's crashing for me before it even loads.

3. jwolf101

jwolf101 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    I don't know if this is the right place to ask but is plants vs zombies garden warfare going to come to ios?

4. jwolf101

jwolf101 Member

Sep 25, 2014
    Ever since the metal announcement there was a lot of talk how pvz garden warfare was coming to ios

5. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    Anyone still playing this? I got back to it some but it feels like it's gotten much harder over the recent months and updates. They just added a new world, but playing the previous levels to get the yeti or the vase game I find it's much harder before to the point it feels like its unbalanced unless you use a lot of coins.

6. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I gave up on this game the moment they screwed up the map. So upset. At some point I'll get over my anger and install the OLD version. I don't think I'll be playing the newest version despite the new worlds. I think the game was so good originally that they had to destroy it to "make money." Hey, maybe it worked for them. I still don't like it. I'm just appalled they ruined what was soft launched and known as one of the best freemium games ever. I laugh thinking about how good it was..

7. Cadenza

Cadenza Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2013
    It has. It's at the point where it's completely impossible to win levels without using perks at least a few times. Most beach levels are impossible to beat withou using power snow at least once.

Also, did they just remove pinata parties?? Since the beach world update today I no longer see pinata party invites in the game?

8. Bomb Bloke

Bomb Bloke Well-Known Member

I'm still getting pinata parties. In fact it looks like there's multiple costumes per plant to collect now.

It looks like the update gave me the wallnut/peashooter/sunflower costumes free. Or maybe I already had them at some point and an older update took them away by accident. In any case, something's bugging out, because I can't toggle the costumes of those three plants.

I'm certainly noticing the rate at which the new levels seem to chew through boosts. Not entirely sure how you're supposed to get by without them. My guess is "you aren't". It already wasn't really worth doing yeti maps (they only ever give you 1000 coins, never anything interesting) - if the yeti shows up on a beach map I'll probably give up on chasing it forever.

Surfer zombies don't seem to have a specific counter. I mean, sure, you can one-shot them with the right plants, but good luck doing that when five lane's worth comes at you at once. Once they hit land, it seems even if you kill them they'll still drop their boards... which one-shots even your tall-nuts.

Sorta feels like blowers should work on them. Haven't tried it, and I doubt they do.

Bowling plants are a bit rubbish. Left to "charge", they'll grow three bulbs of different power and shoot them at zombies. But so long as there are zombies in their lane, they'll never regrow the stronger bulbs - they just keep shooting the weakest one over and over again. You might argue that they can hit multiple lanes, but they only fire if zombies are in their lane. Might as well plant peashooters, just as effective but half the price.

The beach mechanic of the tide going in/out gives you a sign so that you know where you have to plant lilypads to prevent plants getting drowned. It lacks a sign to show you where your tangleweeds will get washed from away when the tide recedes.

Pyramid of Doom (Egypt endless) now features sand-storms, slowing my iPad Mini down further when the flag zombies arrive (and it was already suffering heavy frame-rate issues, in that it seems to spend an awful lot of processor power on zombies that aren't even on the screen yet).

9. beasstt

beasstt Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Houston, TX
    #969 beasstt, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
    Ever since the most recent update, any time I earn a world key (by beating the gargantuan levels) I don't get credit for it and my map shows 0 keys. This has happened twice on different occasions in different worlds. Anyone have any tips for this problem?

Edit:
    Nevermind I finally got one

10. splendidham

splendidham Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Anyone notice the piñata parties appear to be rigged also? I swear I'm always one away from winning anything substantial

11. stbassy

stbassy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 7, 2011
    I am stuck at the in-game download.
    -- the one where you see a lawn unroll
    Anyone know what this does? For some reason, it doesnt start (at 0%) but i am certain i have internet connection, and installing on other devices have the same problem if i attempt to use the same account
    I could play by starting fresh with a new account, but i prefer to use my old one.

12. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #972 Intendro, Dec 14, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
    I don't know what the problem is. Try it on (somewhere else's?) wifi and see if it works.

This must be that thing where part of the game is downloaded after the initial download in order to get past the 100 MB download limit when not on wifi... but this removes the possibility of actually syncing the app to your computer to delete and re-install it later without downloading more monthly data usage away. (And if a game vanishes from the store...)
    I'd rather they just make the whole app be the app... :rolleyes:

13. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah I was going to give the game one more chance, went to download it. The extra maps wouldn't download. Tried multiple times throughout the day. Instantly deleted.

14. stbassy

stbassy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 7, 2011
    Blast it! What a disappointment.

15. splendidham

splendidham Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2010
    Did a little test on the piñata party. Went a full month of tapping the bottom right corner and never got the main prize. Before that it was constantly hitting that spot. As soon as my little experiment was over, I started tapping elsewhere and what do you know, the major prize is back in the corner 3 days in a row.
    Also, with the introduction of gem purchased plants, there is the limited time plant on offer right now. I'm exactly 50 gems short. I've not won a single gem since that offer went on sale. My wife has won 100 in that time. Is it truey a game if it cheats by purposely making you lose and enticing you into making purchases? Kind of misleading. I dislike how it's suggested this game is how free should be done.

16. Moocow

Moocow Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2014
    The new ice cave world enemies are a complete disappointment in terms of originality.
    There are only 3 "new" zombies in this update and neither are original.
    - Dodo rider: basically just a seagull zombie except with more HP but flies slower and can go over any plant except Tall-nut
    - Ice block zombie: just a re-skin of knight zombie with absolutely no other differences. Even knight zombie is basically just a buckethead zombie with more HP and no new mechanics
    - Hunter zombie: just a weakened version of octopus zombie that takes several shots to disable a plant instead of doing it in one hit. Guess Popcap heard the overwhelming hatred of that OP zombie and made a weaker version

17. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Agree 100%

This game should never be held up as an example of a fairly implemented freemium game.

18. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    I just noticed that the game now disables my music from the Music app! I'm sure it didn't do that before... They... took away this feature...???

19. Trevor

Trevor Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    I still play everyday, but pretty much just the piñata party on multiple profiles. Anyone else notice that if, when you pick your three pinatas, if you pick three on one row the fourth one you didn't pick is ALWAYS the big prize?

Haven't bothered to unlock the new world from last month.

Another update came out today btw.

20. Orderhere

Orderhere Active Member

Jan 28, 2015
    #980 Orderhere, Feb 25, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    This game is one of those games where you simply play to see what new plants/zombies are in the new update, then leave it there to bite the bust. Absolutely zero replay value, completely imbalanced level designs, right-in-your-face IAP model, massive loss in originality, not to mention that game-breaking bug where you're unable to update (had the issue as well). Does EA taint everything they touch? It's hard to associate this embarrassment of a game with the once-loved PvZ1. Purposely making it so it's impossible to get a pinata prize by assigning the prize to a pinata AFTER player input? Are you f*cking serious? This is like some 5-year old cheating at a dart throwing game at a carnival by gluing the target to a dart beforehand.
    By the way the only way to solve that stuck at loading screen bug is to delete and re-install.