Universal Plants vs. Zombies 2 - (by PopCap)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Sabaki

Sabaki Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Hey sweetdiss. Zen Garden is there.

Once you beat the first stage of Far Future, it'll give you an intro to the Zen Garden. Further, an icon for it is then integrated at the top of the page for access to the Zen Garden.

2. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Ah, thanks!

3. andysmash

andysmash Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    For whatever reason the Zen Garden was one of my favorite parts about the first. I really liked hunting down flowers and grinding levels to try to find them. Glad they put this into it. Solid update.

4. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Yeah, it's a bit sad to see a beloved game like PVZ whored-out so shamelessly. Still, we gamers have nobody to blame but ourselves. We wait for the inevitable $1 price point before we buy, yet are willing to shell out 10x that amount in IAPs. I am definitely buying far fewer games these days as I won't buy anything with consumables, but I'm certain I'm in the minority. I'm sure there's some fun to be had with this update, though, and I appreciate the return of the Zen Garden, so I'll probably dip into all of my saved gold to complete the new levels. There won't be much of a pull to keep coming back to it when I'm done, though.

I would love to be proven wrong, however. Hope springs eternal, as they say...

5. themostunclean

themostunclean Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2012
    Yup, not buying any games with consumables available via IAP currency will certainly limit your collection nowadays. For the longest time I believed that premium would prevail and the core gamer could still have fun on the App Store, looks like that fantasy is pretty much dead now.....

6. Pheebers

Pheebers Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Interesting twist to the zen garden - plants mature into power ups, then disappear. The big problem is you have to pay a lot of gems - sigh - to get more spots for plants.

7. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
  8. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Wow... that's terrible. I thought they couldn't screw up zen garden but I guess they did that too.

Where's the attachment to your plants if once they grow up they leave for good? they should just give you the power up and leave the plant behind. EA screws again.

9. Sabaki

Sabaki Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Lawliet, I hear you loud and clear on that.

It takes 30 Diamonds to unlock a plant slot and there's 6 of them that's locked.

The Zen Garden isn't like a collection now, it's more like breeding powered up plants.

Grow to maturity use once then it's gone.

10. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Not at all. FTL releases next week at a premium price with premium content. If I can find a game like that at least once every few months I'm good. Besides, When 50% of the IAP revenue comes from 0.5% (that's half of one percent) of the gamers, it's only a matter of time before predatory publishers get hit with class action suits for suckering in compulsive personalities with the promise of "free to play." Until that day comes, I'm good with buying 2-3 games a year; just like I always did on my Mac.

Oh, and just tried out the Zen Garden. It introduces a brand new currency! As I tinkered with it, I had the distinct impression that EA was holding me upside-down by my ankles and shaking me...

11. Topherunhinged

Topherunhinged Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2014
    There are an abundance of excellent premium titles on iOS; certainly more than enough to warrant ignoring all the freemium garbage and cash-in shove-ware.

12. Pheebers

Apr 27, 2013
    I want so badly only to say great things about this game....but that's exactly how I felt, too. I kept wishing I could just pay $10 or whatever for a complete, well-balanced game...never going to happen though. #

The FORTUNE one could spend buying all of the unearnable plants & slots is mind boggling.

13. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    You are absolutely right, and it was unfair of me to lump them all into one group. Tiny Tower, Clash of Clans, and Bug Heroes 2 are just a few of the games that manage to provide real value for the money spent on consumables.

I guess I'm just bitter about seeing this particular franchise fail so badly while others I care less about succeed.

14. TheClaff

TheClaff Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Senior Producer, Bethesda Game Studios
    Bethesda, Maryland
    I don't understand this game anymore. I had unlocked all worlds and beaten almost all levels before they redid the map last year but it seems to be even more confusing and random right now. And I feel like I can't beat a level without using coin power ups. Am I the only one who finds the updates to the game so jarring? Iap discussion aside. It just feels like they don't know what game they want to make but keep trying things to make money.

15. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Yeah look through the last 5 or so pages of the thread where I've posted. Me and some others have been complaining about the updates since they changed the world map (and that's when I deleted the game). I was so close to spending money to buy some plants but I'm glad I didn't.

16. Pheebers

Apr 27, 2013
    I never use the power ups like toss and zap, although I do use the fertilizer sometimes if it's dropped. I have a favorite set of plants I use no matter what world I'm on, and as long as you have a winter melon, you can get through any level.

17. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Yeah, it's not just that they tweaked the difficulty, it's impossible to find a particular level to play. Want to play a favorite mini-game or puzzle level? Good luck finding it. Also, The other poster is right about the winter melon. It completely rebalances the game, almost back to where it should be.

Almost.

18. Ubisububi

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    Which plants do you use? I always start with a double sunflower, potato mine, winter melon, and the ice plant, but the rest are sorta negotiable.

19. Pheebers

Apr 27, 2013
    Double sunflower, winter melon, potato mine, iceberg lettuce, iron weed - they're my core. If there are gargantuars, I tend to add cherry bombs and butter pults, if there are lots of tombstones sometimes I'll add the grave buster, and if there are chickens the lightening reed.

It depends on my mood. Hmm, I think I spend too much time on this game....

20. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Freemiums have advantages when well calibrated, by offering most of the game for free, which guarantees a lot of playtime, plus counting on skills to help players bridging the gap.
    Then a bit of grinding provides the necessary internal money.

PvZ2 was a very good game. I say was because since the update, I'm completely lost with the linear map and, anyway, even before said update, I had almost finished all the three levels without spending one penny and had more than 30,000 credits left to use, but had hard times obtaining the missing keys.
    I didn't find the boss particularly hard. Action was sustained but once you understood its scheme, you could come up with a decent counter strategy and cope with the destruction of your plants.

Anyway, game's gone, wasn't interesting anymore.

Inspiration for the map:

http://company.royalcactus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/2013-02-27_164548.png
    http://www.insidesocialgames.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Screen-Shot-2013-04-19-at-12.08.43.png
    http://img.1mobile.com/market/screenshot/a0/com.cheats.jellygluttoncheats/0.png
    http://company.royalcactus.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/2013-12-03_160449.png