Universal Planet of Heroes (By MY COM)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 8, 2017.

1. afisch

afisch New Member

Apr 27, 2013
    The game looks great but i don't understand the lvling and item mechanics ? Whats the benefits in a higher lvl in a game ? What's the benefit in a higher char. and item level ?

2. brybry

brybry Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2013
    I think your attacks get stronger and faster, but that's just my theory.

This game does look pretty, but I don't feel any urgency from this game. When I'm under attack, I just shrug my shoulders. In vainglory... when I was under attack I felt the urgency to either attack or flee. This game just feels way to casual and laid back for being PvP.

3. Ivica

Ivica Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2015
    I dont know about you but the game is unplayable for me. Ping 100+ in every game i played.

4. MintCity

MintCity Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2016
    I experienced that as well...the servers are pretty bad. I know it's not on my end.

5. HippoHumper

HippoHumper Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Is there any PvE gameplay or purely PvP? I only ask because I actually love the character designs and concepts for Wild Star and this REALLY looks like that but with its own unique flair to it and while I want to play I'm not to fond of mobas or PvP in general.

6. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    #26 nodoctors, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    It DOES have PvE! Multiple types too! I didn't see any online mode where you get to team up with other players against just bots. But you can do solo PvE where you pick 3 characters that you can swap between on the fly. The other two characters will automatically be controlled by AI surprisingly decently and the AI will take over literally the moment you swap between them. This is done very well and deserves some praise. I am very much hoping that an online 3 vs bots mode will be implemented in the future as a means of practice for new champs. It's always nicer to practice a team game online with other real people.

Now here's the best part. There is also a PvE CAMPAIGN mode. That's right. Once you reach level 4 which takes no time at all, you can do these short mini diablo-esque missions on completely original maps separate from the main game mode. There is also dialog and a story, boss fights, etc. It's pretty much the mode that I want every MOBA to have, somewhat like the tutorial to Heroes of the Storm. This uses the identical controls of the solo 3v3 PvE practice mode where you pick three characters, swap between them on the fly, and the AI controls the other two characters. I love it, and I hope they keep adding more to this mode.

I do have some more thoughts on this game after playing it a lot more. It really does stand near the top of the pack, and I've tried every moba on the app store that I'm aware of. I'm still not a fan of the hero costs and how the gem quantities in the packs you buy are often just short of the cost of some of the characters, forcing you to either purchase a larger pack, or a second smaller pack to fill out the rest. It's just mean, and not exactly subtle.

I do want to say that despite the high costs and the typical trickery around the currency system, they have been relatively nice on handing heroes out given the current roster in the game. This is somewhat a problem with the smaller roster of the title(though, two new ones are on their way currently, with a third already in the process which will be a pretty solid chunk of an addition), but you get three completely different hero types to start with, and you'll get your fourth free one from the daily rewards soonafter. Then after a few days you'll have enough in-game currency to buy another cheaper hero. It's not as bad as I thought it would feel out the gate, so perhaps we all just need some more time with this one, as well as giving the devs some time to put more heroes in.

Rune system and the ability to power up heroes turns out to be fairly identical to League of Legends' rune and mastery system, so that also isn't as egregious as previously thought. I actually like it a little bit better as the rune system, which is actually more similar to the mastery system in League, is a lot more personalized for each hero and can have specific effects on abilities. It's actually a lot like the system you see in Bloodline Champions or Battlerite. Very cool.

So far so good...I'm decidedly sticking with it for sure. I personally never saw that cheap pack with the hero and skin that the dev mentioned earlier, as I probably would have bought it this upcoming paycheck. But I am looking forward to any of the sales they hold, and will likely make some purchases. Almost earned enough to buy Bluebeard. I'll have to get a skin for him(chieftain or aladdin?). Who doesn't love the fat guy with the hook character? My nostalgic love for Pudge and Birdie live on.

7. epickev

epickev Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Sep 24, 2015
    Account Manager
    New Zealand
    Ok
    Thanks

8. Ivica

Ivica Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2015
    Wtf this game, every game my ping is super high. Im getting 2k ping

Allready requested a full refund from apple.

This is unplayable. How can you relase a game like this.

9. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    Hmmm, my ping issues only get as bad as around 180 or so at the worst which is still very playable, but can be as good as 30-60. I'm around DC, mid-east coast of the US. Not sure where the server location is honestly.

10. eufeion

eufeion Well-Known Member

May 10, 2016
    2 things that need to be improved

1. The respawn times take way too long

2. The target system, I'm running towards a tower to attack and the target lock will move to an enemy behind me an I then die because of that, it needs manual (tap on enemy) targeting

11. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    Respawn timers seem fine to me, as any game that goes over 10 minutes is kinda going against the point of this type of moba. The lower the respawn timers, the longer the game will be, and it feels like it's close to hitting the sweet spot already.

The towers do feel like the one thing that should be tappable to target, and perhaps they could implement a vainglory type control system option in the future. I do prefer the current control system for phone gaming. But it is annoying that a hero can just walk next to the tower to take a tick of damage and start tower aggro. I've used this against people as well.

12. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    I love this game for the short competitive matches it supplies, like Clash Royale. But the heroes are too expensive and the servers too laggy. Which other popular competitive games like that are out there? Not specifically looking for MOBAs, but: how long are the Vainglory and MOBA legends matches?

13. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Collective Bear Wrestling
    Moscow, Russia
    You can indeed just do that, hit up your settings in the battle and tick the option - we didn't activate it by default because it requires a little more game knowledge on what to prioritise in which situation.

The attack skills are actually a little bit more sophisticated: The act like "mini-joysticks". Tap them, and the game targets the closest enemy or the one with less health. Swipe them, and you determine the direction of a skillshot, like Bluebeards hook, Rondas or Candys dash, Duncans Firing Squad. Check out the settings too, as I described above!

We indeed had a lot of trouble on Saturday with a server failing over that we call the meta server. What was tested with tens of thousands of bots proved to be not up to pace in a real environment. We have since moved the culprit database onto better performing servers, and continue to optimise the hardware throughout the week, i order to prevent a situation like that. Again, very sorry for this.

14. MintCity

Jun 24, 2016
    I agree on both points you made. However, I think the reason the heroes are way too expensive (aside from them being 10-15 dollars to unlock with premium currency) is that the amount of in-game currency you get from winning matches is pathetic. I've never gotten above 30. The quests are the only way to get a decent amount of currency but you have to wait for those to reset. On top of that, you have to spend your precious currency to unlock new abilities and traits for your existing heroes. It really halts progression and causes you to get bored of the heroes your stuck with for so long.

As for your question, I have played Vainglory for 3 years. It is the best mobile MOBA, hands down. It has 3 game modes, 2 of which fit what you're looking for. Blitz mode is 5 mins long. Period. Never exceeds that time frame. Battle Royale is another game mode that lasts around 10 minutes. Their classic game mode lasts around 20 minutes. You can earn heroes quite quickly through casual play and they have improved the ways you can earn skins too! It's a very fair and polished MOBA.

As for Mobile Legends, it's the closest you will get to LoL on mobile. Matches are pretty long sometimes (20-30 mins). It's very grindy because the heroes are set to really high prices. Some are cheaper though. It all depends on your preference but it sounds like you would enjoy Vainglory for its shorter (and intense) matches!:)

Hope this helped you!

15. Fast Forward

Fast Forward Member

Aug 2, 2016
    Collective Bear Wrestling
    Moscow, Russia
    Let's shed some light on this, here's the ingame currency gain used for buying heroes:

3x 122 (on average) from quests
    1x 150 PVP Battles
    5x 22 from battles (50% win rate)
    = 626 Planetoons daily

On top you will get 300 Planetoons every week from the daily login bonus, for the sake of simplicity I don't include any sales or events where you can get more or pay less Planetoons. Also not included is the monthly subscription which raises gains by 50%, and that is priced at about the same of one skin or high-tier hero.

So that will give you 4654 Planetoons every week for approx 1-1.5 hours played, slightly more in the first week due to a 150 welcome bonus and another 100 from the daily login - resulting in the complete price of a mid-tier priced hero. The high-tier priced ones are obtainable with 2 weeks as they are just below double of mid-tier. For the low-tier heroes, you can buy 2 heroes each week.

The only really expensive one (in terms of Planetoons, the ingame currency) is really the newest of heroes, all others move down tiers as the hero releases progress.

I hope this clarifies our pricing somewhat - and I also want to highlight, that we're completely transparent on this. We don't sell skins that have stats and thus make those Pay2Win like some others do, we don't artificially prolong obtaining game content by having shards or drops randomly which you need to hope for, we don't sell boosters that give you any damage coefficients or extra tankiness. Others just write in their screenshots and description that they are fair - we live it. We are gamers, competitive ones, at heart and understand fully the need for transparency and a level playing ground for all players engaging in the arena.

16. nodoctors

Jul 24, 2009
    Games in Vainglory tend to go on the longest, but it's often hailed as the best. I'd say the average Vainglory game can be anywhere between 8-20 minutes, which is a wide spread, but that's how it is. The average length in this game is more close to 7-10 minutes which I very much prefer. I'd recommend you give both of these a shot, since they're the best mobile mobas of their respective control types.

For some quicker Clash Royale length PvP, I enjoyed Warfriends for quite a bit during its soft launch, and I know it launched globally fairly recently. Kind of like a behind the shoulder Clash Royale with shooter mechanics while sending in troops you level up. Rovio, the Angry Birds people put out a boat PvP game called Battle Bay into soft launch like a year and a half ago, and I don't know what's going on with it now, but it was also short matches and pretty fun.

17. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Thank you for your post. I was under the impression that the quick Vainglory game modi were a bit gimmicky/unbalanced

Also I was referring to MOBA Legends, not Mobile Legends.

18. MintCity

Jun 24, 2016
    I will admit that battle royale is quite gimmicky and luck-based (in terms of RNG hero selection) but Blitz is a perfectly concentrated version of the Classic VG game mode. You start off at a higher level than you normally would with a bit of gold to buy more items than usual. It emphasizes going after the classic game mode's objectives of destroying turrets, capturing the gold mine, and killing other players. You gain points by doing these things and the first to 15 wins. I encourage you to at least try it so you can formulate your own opinion. :)

I agree that War Friends is quite similar to Clash Royale but quite different at the same time!...if that even makes sense. Ha ha.

I am not familiar with Moba Legends. I will have to check that out! Sorry for mis-reading your original comment.

19. MintCity

Jun 24, 2016
    #39 MintCity, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
    It seems less grindy after you have written out the statistics. I guess I'm just comparing the time it takes to obtain currencies and heroes from other games to this one. Just because it takes longer doesn't mean it's unnecessarily heavy in the grinding department. Thank you for your clarification.

I appreciate your response. I respect the fact that there is no RNG item collection or pay-to-win mechanics within the game. That's hard to come by nowadays. That's why I continue to play the game. I hope to see it continue to grow and gain success. Thank you for being active in the forums.

Edit: I didn't know that you guys also had package deals. I just bought the 4.99 deal for a hero, skin, and crystals to help support the game. Great value. I would love to see more of that!#

20. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #40 Booch138, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    I've not seen that $5 deal, sounds like a good one I would hop onto.

That all being said it's time for my assessment. I have put a fair amount of time into the game over the last 24 hours and I feel incredibly sorry for everyone who played against me and my Magnum game.

The UI/Presentation: extremely great. The graphics, the character design, the enemy and level design, the mob and tower designs, I love. Very much has a clean cartoony feel like Battleborn but still unique enough (most of the time) to feel like it's own. All menus are easy to navigate, everything is clear and the pretty well explained.

Characters: I feel the roster is at a good start considering age. All of them are unique enough, though none of them bring any kind of new mechanics to the table. But that's entirely okay. The only complaint I have is how difficult it is to acquire them, from a F2P standard and throwing money at it, but I'll get to that point later.

Combat: flawless. Nothing feels clunky and while I've used "joystick" controls for mobile MOBA before, this one actually feels good. It has a slight heft to it that I grew to appreciate, but I wasn't left feeling clunky. I love that they adopted the Heroes of the Storm-Esque leveling system, where all of your team's mob soak and takedown EXP go to a level pool your entire team runs off of. While I do love the item systems in other games, this was always a fun way to do it in my opinion (opinions on them either way be damned). And on the subject of death timers, truly hit the sweet spot. I feel like you're punished enough early for stupid mistakes (keep it, it forces noobs to want to die less sometimes) and it's just punishing enough to capitalize on one or two objectives if you wipe their team before they come back in the later game (and vice versa, they can't get a whole lot in before you get to counter defend when your whole team gets wiped). It's a good ground, and nothing feels too painfully long.

Character customization: I'm digging the rune system, though I normally don't like that kind of thing. Skill will always trump the best of builds in these kinds of games, but it feels like a more permanent "talent" system like Heroes of the Storm. I typically have negative opinions on the system in these types of games mainly for new players but it's not blatant in this one and again... I played a game against 3 other people with maxed out rune trees on their characters with my barely-leveled Magnum and mopped the floor in their tears. I felt confident in the fact that newcomers won't be totally flattened by that slight advantage until they dig into the characters themselves, which judging from how long the game has been out, isn't very hard to get all the way into the rune tree for each character. One suggestion I would have would be to just try a talent system in addition to the rune system. Like a choice between two temporary-for-the-match ability/status augmentations (like some semblance of CC resist. Holy hell all the chain stun against Bluebeard/Leon/Magnum triad) at 3, then 6 and 8 or 9. Again, the rune system is there to streamline that kind of thing I get that. But I don't think it would be too difficult for players to grasp if that sort of thing were added as long as you didn't make the choices TOO robust (again, not necessary, just something to look forward to as a way of progression in game aside from just level)

Single Player mode: I can't even believe they added this. They totally didn't have to. And they totally did. And I love it. It's not hard, but you get to switch between all 3 characters you pick. On the fly. Omg this is great and I'm excited to see where they take it further.

Now onto the subject of the pricing of things.........

I am not above dumping money into these kinds of games at all. Ask the folks over at Super Evil Mega Corp and Blizzard. The prices I see in this game flat out suck. The subscription is actually not all that bad, I condone that. But the individual crystal price packs all fall completely and painfully short of each hero, forcing you to invest in a couple more packs. I wanted to get Neelu and Leon/Dozer but I'm not spending almost $15 for an individual hero. Not even Heroes of the Storm does that too me with new heroes (let alone older ones). In game currency? Fine raise and lower all you want. I get that. But make them like a flat $5-10 (and no more pls). I super want to invest in this game, and may do the script thing when it expires maybe... but I can't condone these prices exactly, and when you have to purchase multiple crystal packs (beyond the $10 first) to afford one hero... bleh... I can't be okay with that. So I only ask you guys reconsider that model slightly.

All in all, if you haven't tried it, it's Free. Try it. It's a great MOBA. I can't at all say it's going to take me away from my main mobilebae VG, but I'm in love with the more streamlined MOBA feel of Heroes of the Storm on a mobile platform. I will definitely be playing and keeping a close eye on progress. Which is more than I can say for any other mobile MOBA thus far aside from Vain Glory. Good work guys. Just try and go a bit more easy on my wallet :/ also, the latency seems to be awful, with my ping always sitting high in the upper 100's. And definitely not me. However, I haven't really noticed it affect gameplay or anything, but yeah that could be a turn off. I won't complain about the occasional matchmaking time yet only because still new and player base is gaining traction, but yeah sitting in queue for 2 minutes kind of sucks too hahahah.

PS: where's my $5 deal at?! Hahahaha

Edit #10,207: Nvm the deal showed up for me :3 down with that.