Universal Planescape: Torment (by Overhaul Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Apr 11, 2017.

1. tide

tide Active Member

Oct 19, 2014
    funny, u should watch pocketgamers hands on video that guy basically had d same issue during his hands on,lol.

2. Bunion

Bunion Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Ok will take a look, thanks for the suggestion!

Back on topic does anyone know the length of this game by the way?

3. kurtalb1

kurtalb1 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2013
    Michigan
    It says in the app description 50+ hours.

4. wex

wex New Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Just In case anyone missed it, a spiritual successor just came out on PC/Mac: Torment, Tides of Numenera. It's excellent too.

5. Bunion

Bunion Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Oh my bad, sounds good!

6. Reckall

Reckall Member

Dec 14, 2012
    There is an option to adjust the font size.

7. Reckall

Reckall Member

Dec 14, 2012
    I have played a lot of "stunning storytelling" games in my career: Ultima V, Final Fantasy VI/VII, Metal Gear Solid, Monkey Island and so on. Planescape: Torment is, IMHO, not even comparable. In a way, it is like comparing Dante's Divine Comedy (another heavy source of inspiration) with the best that modern pop culture has to offer: true, we have The Empire Strikes Back, but can you really compare it with "Inferno"? :)

There is only another game whose narrative, to me, approaches PS:T in emotional depth and characters' strength: "The Last of Us". What an experience! Still, I think that Torment maintains a slight edge - and it is not nostalgia: I'm replaying Torment right now.

In 1999 I remember finishing the game, go out and buy anything Planescape-related (for the D&D PnP RPG) in a single sweep. I then completed my collection over the years. It is high-quality reading even now - and, for sure, not something created for the average 14-years old.

One last thing: yes, you can play it without sound, but the soundtrack (by Mark Morgan) is an integral part of the game. On Steam you can get it in .FLAC format and then burn your own CD. Or you can listen to it on YouTube :)

8. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Same here.. Use it a lot for drawing... Reading and gaming..

9. Sandalfo

Sandalfo Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Paris, France
    i bought the game for my iphone 7+ and i should not have. it's ok to play on ipad but the icons on my screen are tiny. nearly unplayable probably :(

10. zergslayer69

zergslayer69 Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2010
    After spending a few hours playing my biggest beef with the iOS version is walking to the next zone when it's going into a structure. For example when leaving the mortuary after getting the key to unlock the door I kept blindly tapping the general area to get my guy to leave. I thought the game glitched or something until after a few minutes I finally hit that pixel perfect spot. Times like this I wish it were handled like the shadow run games where it's clearly marked where you can interact with areas of the map.

11. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    But you can toggle that with the magnifying glass icon on the far right down on the UI

12. zergslayer69

Apr 21, 2010
    Nice, thanks for that. Makes it so much easier!

13. abazigal

abazigal Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2013

Nope. Intentional. You are an amnesiac who doesn't know his own name, after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. abazigal

abazigal Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2013

This game really rewards those with high int and wis. My most memorable playthrough was as a Mage with maxed out int and wis, and with Morte and Dakkon as party members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    #115 Tychaeus, Apr 14, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    To only blast through the require main story to progress the game would be a travesty for this one in particular haha. I can definitely understand doing so for balders gate etc, even NWN, and some others, but not Planscape...hah...NOR Tides of Numenera for that matter. Monte Cookes' stories could honestly change your mind about world views, self discovery, philosophy.
    Though, I guess I could understand saying F all that for a strictly fun gaming session, just seems there are better choices for such out there.

P.S. If you like this one, the "spiritual successor" just came out called Torment:Tides of Numenera, which instead begs the question : What does one life matter? Also, imho..a more interesting setting and theme...sci fi meets Soren Kierkegaard, meets Left Eye of Horus and...I dunno...The Mystery School of the order of Melchizedek lol?Seriously...

It's only on PC and consoles of course

16. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
  17. Procco

Procco New Member

Nov 25, 2016
    We had a discussion about that on the Beamdog forum...from what anyone can determine, you'll have to reinstall the app. You should be able to keep your saves by loading them, long pressing the quicksave button, then send it through your email. When you reinstall the app, you can restore your save by long-pressing on the file in your email and tell it to open with Planescape and it will populate in your saves list in the app.

18. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Boom! That worked. Thanks :cool:

19. zergslayer69

Apr 21, 2010
    Heh how'd you manage that?i want to make sure I don't do the same.

20. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    Yeap, like abazigal said, the most rewarding playthrough is as mage, with highest INT followed by WIS. It's how you uncover most memories, quests, dialogues. Not to mention high level spells absolutely decimate - Tears of Elysium anyone?

For me the best party was Morte, Anna and Grace. Not only well rounded in classes, but interactive between them as well. From there you can have
    Dakon, who is a zen master samurai.
    Ignus, for some evil
    Modron, for some geeky fun -if you can unlock him
    Vhailor, who is boring and late to the party.
    For me, the best of them was Dakon, with some of the more memorable quotes.