Universal Plague Inc. - (by Ndemic Creations)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Ndemic Creations, May 26, 2012.

1. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Never played this genre before, but downloaded ist today to give it a try.
    As far as I can tell, it's well done. Tutorial eases you into gameplay and I had to finish my first game in one go, because it kept me so interested. Pacing seems great, too.

So far, i'm very happy with the game and can't wait for the universal update.

2. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Yeah, never played Pandemic, but I was curious. Stayed away because folks said it was confusing for newcomers. Nabbed this this morning based on a gushing recommendation from someone on NeoGAF. Look forward to seeing what all the hoo-hah is about. ;)

3. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Bought based on reviews and the promise of Universal update later...looking forward to that!

4. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    About how long is one play through? I tried flash version of pandemic and found it to be a lot of waiting...but I guess that's the play mechanic of these games?

5. saiyukialex

saiyukialex Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Shanghai, China
    The Oriental rat flea (Xenopsylla cheopsis) engorged with blood after a blood meal. This species of flea is the primary vector for the transmission of Yersinia pestis the organism responsible for bubonic plague in most plague epidemics in Asia, Africa, and South America. Both male and female fleas feed on blood and can transmit the infection.

6. slewis7

slewis7 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    Retired!
    Houston, TX
    #26 slewis7, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
    This seems to be getting nice iTunes reviews so far and many comments compare it favorably to Pandemic. As soon as it is Universal, I am buying.

GeekyDad: Pandemic is not confusing, but it helps to read the guide and tips on the developer's web site. It is good and hopefully Plague Inc. is even better.

7. bruab

bruab Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    My virus is called Rebola. It has an initial onset like Ebola, with chills, vomiting and diarrhea to help spread the virus, then a cessation of symptoms for 48-72 hours to allow the infected to travel, followed by gross hemorrhaging and death by Multiple Organ Dysfunction Syndrome.

8. OpenHeartSound

OpenHeartSound New Member

May 27, 2012
    I'm not eligible for the contest, but still...

Disease Name: Love

"Love spreads to Saudi Arabia"
    "Doctors in Finland are working on a cure for Love"
    "The last remaining humans have been infected with Love and lay dying in holes"

:D

9. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    I've never played Pandemic so cannot comment on any similarities, but I do know that Plague Inc. is excellent. I purchased it on a whim this morning and ended up thoroughly engrossed in it on my first play through in casual mode.

The level of depth and options available to the player is impressive. There is ample scope for deep strategy owing to the myriad upgrades which present themselves to the player in the form of an evolving disease. When combined with a constantly updating news ticker and other seemingly small but relevant details, the game really does open itself up to a number of different approaches. There is no right or wrong approach to this game, at least not in the early days when your disease is just warming up and beginning to spread across the globe.

You can keep track of your progress through numerous stats that have a definite CDC feel about them and add to the authentic atmosphere, as does the suitably unrelenting and dramatic soundtrack.

I'm really impressed with PI; it looks great and plays exceptionally well, especially when you consider this is the initial release of the developer's inaugural game. The game is utterly absorbing and I highly recommend it.

One improvement: sound and music should be independent of each other; I should be able to turn one off and leave the other on.

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Quick impressions: I'll get this out of the way first. The game bears a strong similarity to Pandemic. It has it's own unique features, and overall is less complex/convoluted while still allowing for a diversity of strategies. I am not the clone police so won't comment on that issue even though I own both games. The game is very fun, easy to get into, but difficult to master. There are plenty of disease options to unlock, and some cheats once you unlock all the disease types, which should give the game good replay value. I can absolutely recommend this and look forward to the universal build.

11. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Plague: Thumbitis

How it spreads: skin contact, or contact with surfaces with the plague. The plague can stay alive in any surface for 48h-72h, so anyone who comes in contact with such a surface or material will spread the plague to it - or get the plague from it. Initially the plague will stay dormant in the host, for the first few days, but it is already highly contagious after the first few hours.

Description: Anyone who is infected with Thumbitis, after the initial incubation period of 48h-72h will start to grow large, bloody bulbs in their thumbs, spreading to the rest of their fingers, hands, arms and then eventually killing the host in 24h.

The first report of the plague was after a large gaming convention, where many young adult gamers got infected after trying out some of the games at the show, rumor has it an iPhone game titled "Plague, Corp.".

12. Ndemic Creations

Ndemic Creations Well-Known Member

Been extremely busy working on the update which will be released very soon and make the app universal, add autosave as well as some other cool stuff.

Therefore - the Name Your Plague competition for a promo code will run until mid tomorrow when I can read all the entries properly!

13. barryweiser

barryweiser Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I bought this game this morning and have not looked back yet. I simply can't get enough. Honestly, this game feels like what Pandemic should have been. The interface is beautifully done and just feels 100% polished. All that said, I suck at the game. I have been trying the difficulty on normal so that I can unlock the next section, but haven't gotten too close yet. I will continue to try...is anyone else having difficulty with the "bacteria" on the normal setting? I am admittedly new (and bad) at the game, but if others are beating this with ease - I need to reconfigure my approach.

The only issue I have run into is "clicking" on the DNA strands/vaccine/Biohazard signs that pop up throughout the game. I click on these and it seems to register "most" of the time. I feel like sometimes it is completely unresponsive, regardless of how accurately my click is...anyone else experiencing this?

You mentioned an update...anything to look forward to?

Thanks for a great game!

14. antispin

antispin Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Editor, tech and gaming websites
    Here's my entry for the Name Your Plague contest:

Name: McPants

First incident: McDonald's, Irvine, California. A cooking class' summer afternoon at the local McD turns bloody; sales of red pants increase.

How it spreads: Virus initially transmitted through meat and dairy products. Affects the intestinal tract, causing severe and bloody loose motions. Said bloody waste acts as secondary vector for virus. Incubation time: 2 mins.

Description: Mild stomach ache that quickly escalates to exploding pants. No fatalities have been reported. Yet.

15. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah, I definitely agree with this. It just seems to take all that's great about Pandemic, expands on it and somehow makes it cater to iOS gameplay better than how Pandemic handled it (even though Pandemic 2.5 is a fantastic port). Still, both are a dollar and hardly take up any space on your iDevice. There certainly isn't any harm in owning both.

16. Ndemic Creations

Glad you are enjoying it. There will be lots of updates as there are so many cool things I want to expand on in the game.

The first update will be out soon and add universal support, auto-save and some other smaller features (e.g. evolution options greyed out if you can't afford them)

Let me know how else you want to see the game grow!

More details here : http://www.ndemiccreations.com/home/announcements/plagueincreleaseahugesuccess

17. jsteve

jsteve Member

May 17, 2012
    finally everything I wanted from games like Pandemic 2.5 and Infect the world

18. Ndemic Creations

Congrats DJFlippy - you win the Name your Plague competition with Glioblastoma Capitalism-Multiforme! (Probably too long to actually write in Plague Inc though :p )
    A free game is in the mail to you! Let us know how you get on.

19. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Just broke into the game this morning. This is kind of a perfect fit for iPhone gaming -- very easy to pick up and tinker with and just as easy to put away without hassle. Plus, I love these kinds of methodical strategy games.

I will say this, though, the premise is creepy as ****! I was getting pretty turned off reading the "How to Play" section where it keeps repeating the "you must kill everyone to win" thing. Love the game and the concept, but only in the most detached sense. Those detailed descriptions I could live without. Creepy...

20. aceyprime

aceyprime Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Will the Universal update support Retina resolution for the iPad?