iPad Pizza Boy

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Kintaro360

Kintaro360 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Vienna
    I don's care about the price but it could have a little bit more levels. Pizza Boy is the best mario clone and it has created it's own unique style.
    The music could be more catchy.

Definitively worth the 2 Bucks.

2. gammabeam

gammabeam Well-Known Member

Lovely game! And awesome controls!
    Don't call it a Mario Clone... It is definitely an old school platform, but it's nothing like Mario.

I was wondering how the graphics are rendered in iPhone 4, with the retina display... Being a pixel art style game, how does things go on it?

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Anything close to Mario is going to be lapped up, I see it as a good thing to give it that resemblance.

4. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Man, just beat it...Needs more levels!!

5. Chocolate

Chocolate Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2010
    Hmm. After reading about this game's shortness, I wouldn't buy it yet, even though it looks good.

If the devs keep working on the game, adding levels and content, and can increase the value of the game, then they could ask for even a little more money and it would sell.

But right now it sounds like it's almost a "Lite" version of a game, except it costs money.

6. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    No where near a lite version, it's just that the game is so good that you want more. I wish more games would have this problem...

7. jjjmedia

jjjmedia Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Grr, SO tempted to pick this up since I know it'll be amazing, but I'm just scared it's so short. How long are you guys taking to beat it?

8. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

Took me a few days because it starts to get pretty hard after the first world.

9. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    It really depends on your play style. you could run though this game in 45 min to an hour if you are just trying to get through every stage and are very good at this kind of platformer.

The game is really about completion and scores. You're scored on each level by speed, soda efficiency, and bonus completion so there is an incentive to go back to every stage and get better

10. Kintaro360

Kintaro360 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Vienna
    I knew this graphics style remembered me of another game. Now I know what game: It has a lot of Elements from Pokemon. Especially the colors, buildings and the min character. Who else finds similarities?

11. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Lightweight! ;P

12. Kroan

Kroan Active Member

Sep 3, 2010
    #72 Kroan, Sep 22, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
    Damn. That was one hell of a bad video review. She didn't put a lot of time playing it either (which she admits in the video herself...). Anyway. I bought this game too, and it's really nice style and looks quite nice. I don't really like the music that much though... guess that's personal though.

However, I do have some big issues with the controls. They feel quite unresponsive at times (new system apparently to the OP / Developer. I don't see what's so new about it). It basically has the same issues as most platform games on the iOS. There were several occasions in each level that I thought to myself "With normal responsive controls, i'd breeze through this level without a problem". And some might think that it's part of the challenge, but I find it frustrating to be honest.

Also, i'm a person who wants to collect stuff along the way. And i'm ok with searching for certain items and in a rare ocassion to do crazy stuff to get certain letters... but this game is taking that to a whole different level. Damn. Some letters are almost unreachable (and I don't wanna even mention the one's which seem to be missing, like 1-4).

There is letter in one of the levels on top of platform you can only reach (this is a guess) by jumping onto another enemy and then jumping onto the platform. However the enemy is a bird, which is quite fast and as soon as it is in range it will start flying (pop-up behaviour). So you have to time it so damn perfectly that it's almost impossible to get it. I tried it 15~20 times and didn't even get close. I'm almost doubting that you can actually do it like this. There are also levels where the screen is constantly moving. It's especially annoying to put these kind of letters in those levels... I can't even get it in the normal one's.

Also something that reminds me of the old NES platformers (and in this case that's bad). If you get hit by an enemy you not only will lose health, but also be thrown a little back. This will result more than a couple of times in your dead because you were standing on the edge of a platform and are pushed off it by an enemy. Especially in the second world that's devastating. Isn't it enough to reduce someone's health? Why even give a healthbar if you're going to die instantly anyway?

Being killed by falling into a pit is quite frustrating aswell. Because 9 of 10 times it's the control's or an enemy hitting you mid-air/edge of platform. Why not reset your character to the platform he was jumping from with one less health? Problem solved!

There are occasions where there are multiple enemies coming in a row. Sometimes you can dispose of them with a garbage can. However, it might not be available at that point. Combo-jumping on them doesn't seem to work however. First one - good, Second one - still good, third one - nope... I always get hit by the third one. Seems bugged to me.

At some points there were spikes at plaforms. Those spikes were pointing left and right away from the platform. Standing on the platform and trying to get off it by jumping left or right from it, resulted in getting hit. (Even though you don't jump on to it). Seems like a bug to me.

All in all this game has a lot of potential but really feels frustrating. This is because of imbalanced gameplay, "not good" controls and level design.

Sorry, but I can't recommend this to anyone in the current form.

Edit: Oh. One more thing; the bottles... something that again reminds me of a lot of NES-games... they're useless as hell. I rather jump on the enemies, cause the bottle is missing half of the time >.>

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I you are having issues of the controls of Pizza Boy, you may want to have your device check -- the general concensus has been that they're spot-on perfect (or as perfect as a touchscreen gets). Personally, I have yet to die a single time due to the controls (though I've died plenty of times for being a bonehead). Whatever the developers came up with is certainly new to the platform -a the controls are even better than those is Soosiz and Giana Sisters.

As to the rest of the review, it's all first person singular -- many of the things you complain about are precisely what makes the game fun and challenging for me -- and I would expect many others as well. You may want to find another platformer that tucks you in at night and kisses you in the forehead -- Pizza Boy would rather kick your butt, instead ;).

14. Kroan

Kroan Active Member

Sep 3, 2010
    Sure. It's personal. And I don't mind a challenging game. However, don't confuse a challenging game with a frustrating game. The game is most of the not challenging by it's difficulty, but it is by (mostly) in-perfect controls and design-errors. Running through the levels without bothering about those "impossible" stuff, it's quite easy.

And I don't think it's my device. But as you said, this might be as good as it gets for touch-controls. I was maybe expecting to much, like close to a gamepad.

But since you like the game, maybe you can tell me how many of those "Pizza's" you got, and have some hints for me. Maybe it's just me doing something wrong.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    There are two action games in the App Store that, in my view, have virtual controls that are good as physical ones. This is one of them. I don't feel I'm losing anything because of the lack of a real d-pad.

Any platformer is easy if your only objective is to get to the end of the level. Whether the challenges here are frustrating or simply challenging is a matter of opinion. Calling something a design flaw because you don't like it strikes me as more than a little self-centered. I don't enjoy design flaws, but I happen to appreciate the little push-back when you hit an enemy -- it adds some sense of physicality to the gameplay. I also have little problem using the sofa cans.

And no, I haven't collected all the letters (in fact, I believe that there are a couple of them missing). I'm looking forward to an update that addresses that issue (and hopefully adds more levels).

16. jjjmedia

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    What's the other game you're referring to with the great buttons?

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Meteor Blitz. It's like I think of where I want the ship go, and that's where it ends up.

18. jjjmedia

May 27, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Good call. Those controls are indeed mighty buttery. Just goes to show how enjoyable a good set of controls can be.

19. Kroan

Kroan Active Member

Sep 3, 2010
    An opinion is always self-centered. That's why it's an opinion. Anyway, design-error's might be a bit harsh, but I couldn't find another word to gather up all my complaints and that one was fitting it most.

I'm not sure how you can enjoy a push-back, but that might just be me. It's not really adding anything to an unrealistic game, except frustration. There is a reason why the stopped doing those pushbacks.

Anyway, I wasn't asking about the one's who are not findable (or not there?). I was asking about the letters that were actually in sight, but I was unable to get. At all. I'm still guessing that you have to time a perfect jump to get the letter, but i'm not sure. After landing such an impossible jump you also have to complete the level without dying btw. Because if you don't, the letter is lost aswell iirc.

Also, you seem quite defensive about this, but i'm only stating my opinion. It's not that I choose to not like this game. I'd really like to like it. And seeing all those positive things being said in the first few pages by mostly people who played the tutorial or the first few levels, I thought some people might be interested in hearing an opinion by someone who played it more than 10 minutes :p

That's certainly not true, and you know it. ;) Super Mario Bros 3 (NES) wasn't easy at all, but never felt frustrating. Not even the train-level with all those bombs flying around. Sonic 1 wasn't a faceroll either. Same goes for 2 aswell...

20. addycatch

addycatch Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Boss?

How does one kill the boss?