Universal Pixelot - new RPG for iPhone

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Iceberger3, Jan 11, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iceberger3

Iceberger3 Well-Known Member

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    #1 Iceberger3, Jan 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    [​IMG]

About
    Pixelot is a classic RPG coming to Desktop, Android, and iOS, that hopes to combine the best parts of classic role-playing games.
    In Pixelot you will create a custom hero and gather allies to defend against the darkness that has swept over the land of Pixelot. The game will feature numerous recruitable characters, playable classes, items, monsters, and dungeons alike. Promising an engaging story line, laughable dialogue, and a classic yet simple design, Pixelot hopes to be a game that is easy to pick up and hard to put down. The mission in Pixelot is to earn the 6 elemental shards in order to open the way to an ancient cavern which holds the power to repel the darkness that has crept over all of Pixelot. The game will feature 6 major regions, 3 major cities, and a slew of dungeons, towns, items, monsters and more!

Download
    The game is almost ready to be released!

(iOS, Android, PC)
    You can sign up here to be notified when it goes live! https://goo.gl/forms/RA1lMU1ckQBhadXw2

Screenshots

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More

Twitter: https://twitter.com/IceBERGer3
    Tumblr: https://iceberger3.tumblr.com
    Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Pixelot/

Cooper04 and Beth like this.
  2. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    This sounds like a fun game something I’d play as long as 1 the game is all interconnected with walking around and exploring like classic final fantasy or other jrpgs. Please don’t do this world map with the dots for each area and you just click em to enter. I looooooveee being able to explore and find hidden treasures and stuff. Also the picture of the battle is so short I can’t tell much about in battle effects. But it would be cool if magic and special attacks had some kind of effects I just noticed in the pic there weren’t any real effects for regular atks so I dunno what the plan is for it just throwin 2 cents in. I’ll definitely keep my eye on this one .

3. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    You can definitely run around like a traditional rpg. Final fantasy is a big inspiration for the game! You can even walk around to find wild monsters!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are tons of special abilities. You can protect someone to make them not take any damage. You can burn, stun, poison, and even haunt enemies. You can raise your player's stats, and of course heal too! Heres a demo of one of the battles!

4. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Hi! Thanks for taking the time to respond! This will be an RPG like morrowind, as there is no online content planned for this game!

Like Morrowind, players will collect powerful items from defeating monsters, and will use those items to get much stronger. There are a lot of different types of items and they have different rarities which describe how powerful they are. You can view all of your items in your inventory screen.

[​IMG]

You can click on any item slot in the unit page, and you will be presented with a list of equippable items. Just click on the item you want and it will be equipped! Players have 5 different equipment slots to put gear into: helm, cloak, armor, relic, and weapon! Helms and armor fall into three categories: heavy, medium, and light. Each class can only equip heavy, medium, or light armor. Heavy armor has a high defense rating, and low (if any) resistance. Similarly, light armor has low defense and high resistance. Medium armor has a relatively even amount of defense and resistance, favoring defense at higher levels. To remind you, defense reduces the damage taken by normal attacks, while resistance lowers the damage taken by elemental attacks. Similar to armor and helms, each class can only equip a few types of weapons. Whether they are swords, axes, maces, staves, bows or even spears.

[​IMG]

Players can buy and sell items from the blacksmith shop as well! This is helpful for getting some basic starter gear as well as selling some old gear for more potions! I’ll look to add in some more fun gear later on!

[​IMG]

You can also buy potions from the alchemist shop! You just walk over and click yes or no! (You can’t buy it if you don’t have enough gold) these potions are now fully functional in combat also!

[​IMG]

5. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    New Dungeon, Map, and Trial

I haven’t posted in a while but I have been quite busy with a whole bunch of new stuff for Pixelot!

Ranger’s Trial - Pixelot will feature several trials that you need to complete to progress the story. These trials are very similar to gyms in Pokémon in which you battle a series of enemies culminating in a final battle with a more powerful enemy. Alike to how gyms in Pokémon are based on types, trials in Pixelot are based on the class of enemy. In the rangers trial you will climb a tower defeating several rangers before battling against Austin, the head ranger in Luma. After (a really cool boss cutscenes above) defeating Austin, he will warn you that the Silver Mine is very dangerous and will join your army.
    [​IMG]

South Wood Continued - once you have completed the ranger’s trial, you will be able to travel north (the guard blocking the path will be gone). In this new region you will find more powerful bandits, more chests and more wild monsters. These new monsters include mushrooms with powerful elemental attacks. If you travel to the west you will come upon a map that looks identical if you travel north west or south. Traveling back to the east will return you to the South Wood. This new region is a homage to the lost Wood in The Legend of Zelda. Hidden in this wooded region is a powerful weapon “the spirit blade” that is of epic quality and has very good stats.
    [​IMG]

The Silver Mine - once you have cleared out the bandits you’ll be able to move north to the first dungeon in the game. This game features quite a few Mine cart puzzles. To solve these puzzles you ride mine carts along tracks on the ground to reach new areas. You can then hit switches to adjust the tracks and open up new areas to explore. You’ll also need to collect keys to unlock doors in the dungeon. Some key events that take place in this dungeon include getting Capitan Garrett to join your party, defeating Xaan the leader of the white skull bandits, and defeating the final boss to get the earth shard.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Other Updates - I’ve done a lot of work with classes, including adding the Lancer (Garrett’s) class. I’ve also added 50 different items to the game, some found in chests, others from defeating enemies. I’ve added an element typing system for attacks and monsters. The element system can be split into two parts. First, holy attacks are strong against shadow enemies and vice versa, while holy and shadow attacks are weak against their own type. Next, fire attacks are strong against earth, which are strong against lightning, which trumps water attacks, which in turn are strong against fire. Going backwards in the cycle will result in a weaker attack (i.e. Fire is weak against water). Finally, having more party members will increase the number of monsters you fight making battles more complex but also more rewarding both in fun and in game xp and gold!

I would love to hear what you guys think of the latest development!

I am still finishing up the dungeon, but will most likely release an alpha / demo of the game afterwards!

6. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Very excited for this title!

7. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    #7 dbagga84, Feb 22, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
    Yeh I’ve kept a look out since your original post. It sounds great. I can’t wait to play it. Rpgs have been my favorite genre since about 1988. But the golden age wasn’t until the 90s :p keep up the good work, it’s very exciting.

8. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    So glad you are excited! I have been working hard to get these updates done for this! It is going to take a while until the whole game is done, but you are more than welcome to play along on the computer at https://iceberger3.itch.io/pixelot until the iOS version is released!

9. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Pixelot - The Adventure Continues!

So if you have gotten a chance to play the Pixelot Beta, then you know the game stops just after you defeat the first boss. No longer! I have been hard at work continuing and fleshing out the story in Pixelot! I have added two more recruitable characters and a brand new map with plenty to explore.

Once you defeat the first dungeon, you are transported to a mythical realm and confronted by Astrum, a powerful wizard that has summoned you to the land of Pixelot, to combat a dark power that is sweeping over the land. After defeating the first boss you come into the possession of the Earth Crystal, one of 6 crystals that will be paramount to stopping this darkness. Not only is the crystal important, but it also gives your characters new passive powers such as reducing damage taken, increasing power and even causing your attacks to heal you. Each class has its own new power! As you progress in the game you will collect new crystals and in turn new powers. You can watch the video here: https://youtu.be/1AIgTyPVSmk
    [​IMG]
    Returning home, you get the opportunity to talk to the village elder, who thanks you for all of your help by giving you some very rare silver ore. He urges you to see the Blacksmith Ryan. Upon doing so, you are able to recruit Ryan to join your team. Ryan boasts incredible offensive powers and a number of defensive to boot. This also allows you to have a full four man team! He also comes equipped with some truly stellar items
    [​IMG]
    In addition to recruiting Ryan you can also leave the town of Luma through its southern gate. This leads you to the brand new area, the “Mortal Pass”, a valley riddled with treasure, mercenaries, and dangerous enemies. You will have to watch out for bears with great defenses and eagles that rain lightning upon you. A notable new enemy is the “Mimic”. If you have ever played Golden Sun, or Dungeons and dragons, then you know that a mimic takes the appearance of a treasure chest, but is actually a boss! This enemy has a powerful attack that puts all of your best abilities on cooldown! You can watch the epic battle and the blacksmith in action here: https://youtu.be/CwA-MsFdFYc
    [​IMG]
    The mercenaries present a terrible problem as you try to navigate the Mortal Pass. There are knights with incredible defense, hammer wielding warriors that will stun your team, and axe wielding madmen that attack your whole team at once. Luckily you can recruit a powerful ally to help you combat them! Chase the Gambler! Chase has a unique play style in that his attacks could change each turn! You really have to roll the dice when playing him and you can really come up big! This is also a big deal because it forces you to pick your four favorite of the five characters you have, giving the player a lot of free will.

All this has been a lot but there is still sooooo much more to come! I’m working on the mercenary hideout now and there will be 4 new hirable characters in there! Yes you heard me, 4! I’m also working on re adding the oracle class to the game as a playable character from the beginning! Stay tuned for more updates because I promise you they are coming!

10. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Man. You should totally take what you have now and put it up on testflight so iOS players can try . I wish I could try the pc beta but I have no pc (I know get with the 21st century dbagga.) unless you haven’t coded it for iOS at all yet or touch controls, then I see that being an issue. But I love the way it’s all headed and when you do finally release it I’ll be getting it ;)

11. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    If you send me a message with your Apple ID / email I will be sure to include you in the next Test Flight build!

12. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Pixelot - Mercenary Hideout

The Mercenary Hideout a new mini dungeon where you battle a series of mercenaries to get back the gold they have taken! There are several different types of mercenaries that attack your whole team, stun you, or are just hands down tough to kill! After battling your way through you will reach the treasure room and confront the four mercenary bosses! These mercenaries are tough and it’s the first time you will have to fight another party of enemies that actually works together! Ellen, the cleric, will actually heal her allies each turn and must be handled very quickly. Unfortunately you will have to balance that with Kevin, the berserker, who deals massive damage by attacking your whole party. Fred, the Mercenary, is very difficult to kill, and Brock Lee, the fighter, will periodically stun members of your team! You can watch the entire battle here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XETA7Mz_NXY

[​IMG]
    After defeating these tough enemies you will have the option to hire them on to your team! The hire costs are quite high so chances are you will have to choose only one unit to hire at first until you can come back with more gold!

[​IMG]
    Ellen, a cleric with potent healing powers, is the least expensive unit to recruit. She is a very good choice if you did not choose a class that has a healing ability, or if you just want a little more healing on your team. She also comes with a potent area of effect attack. Similar to the sage class, she has the ability smite, which deals massive damage to dark enemies (sneak peak the next dungeon is the shadow one!)

[​IMG]
    Fred, a sturdy mercenary, has several defensive abilities as well as very powerful row attacks. He also comes with a power stun called knockout. His signature ability counter already has a high power but will also do double damage if he is attacked that turn!

[​IMG]
    Kevin, a powerful berserker, has abilities that raise his attack and intimidate his foes to lower theirs. He comes with the blacksmith ability sunder which lowers enemy defense. He has two abilities that will cause him to berserk and enable more powerful versions of his default single target, row, and area of effect attacks!

[​IMG]
    Brock, a balanced fighter, also comes with the ability knockout and is the most expensive unit. He has a powerful chi blast attack that regenerates charges. He has an ability called zen that will also instantly generate charges. Finally his signature ability reverse, will cause enemies attacks to deal damage to themselves instead of him!

The dungeon is completely optional but you can find a lot of gold, experience, and more characters! With the addition of these characters players have even more freedom when choosing their party members! I’ve been hard at work adding new classes and new updates so please stay tuned!

Thank you for reading and I hope you have an awesome day!

13. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Pixelot - Game Improvements!

Now that the mercenary hideout is complete I’m taking some time to add in a few improvements to the game! To start I revamped the animation for the slime enemy to make him look a little more 3D. I’ve also added a new class and made some improvements to the battle UI / UX.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Oracle - the oracle is one of the original six classes, but was not included in the demo / beta because it still needed a lot of work. This powerful class is now selectable as your starting class! The oracle boasts strong healing powers, and great resistance. It also has a higher defense than most casters, in addition to wearing medium armor instead of light armor. The oracle has an ability, grow, that restores health initially, and continues to restore health for a few turns. Once you have collected the earth crystal this ability is enhanced to affect your entire party! The oracle has strong offensive attacks and is a great choice for anyone starting the game!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Battle UI / UX - I’ve made too helpful updates to layout in the prep stage for battles. First, abilities that suddenly become active, such as combo attacks, will now have a gold swirling animation that will help to catch players attention and remind them they are now available! Second, after selecting an attack you can click on it again to view its power, icon, description and it’s elemental color!

These updates should help players get a better experience playing the game and go a long way to improve their play. I’m looking forward to working on more things along the way as ideas pop in my head and as always I love getting feedback from players! Until next time!

14. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Pixelot - New Town!

Hey guys! So I have been really hard at work on a lot of new features and areas for Pixelot and I just wanted to take some time and share it with you!

First up, we have a new town! Once you cross the mortal pass you come upon the town of Lyte, which is desperately in danger and needs your help! After defeating some skeletons you get to recruit a sage named Luke and assist him on his quest!

Lyte is a pretty cool town where you can not only buy stronger equipment, but also interact with many NPC’s and collect some neat loot from treasure chests. The biggest feature I’ve added to this is Quests!
    [​IMG]
    You can now take Quests from NPC’s and get really great rewards from new items, to even recruitable characters! These Quests will show up in a little book icon that now appears in the menu. You’re also able to view the main quest and see what you are supposed to do next! When you start a new quest, NPCs will have an exclamation above them, when they are in progress they will have “…” and finally when a quest is complete it will show a “?”. I’ve also added a little preview image of where the quest takes place to help guide players in the right direction!
    [​IMG]
    One notable character you can recruit is Billy the guard. Similar to Garrett this class is the only other class that can use lances. Billy specializes in high hp, and what he lacks in attack he more than makes up for in defense. Billy is meant to protect your other team members through damage reduction, lowering enemy power, and even commanding foes to attack him instead of his buddies (what a swell guy). I hope you like the updates and I look forward to updating the beta / demo soon so people can get a chance to check out these Quests!

Thanks for reading!

15. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Pixelot - Shadow Crystal!

Oh wow do I have a lot to cover in this post! First and foremost, I have finished everything for next update of Pixelot! This means new characters, new dungeons, new items and new monsters!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I’ve added a whole bunch of different enemies to the game, including these three jokesters! (I’m sorry if you don’t like puns…) now that players have more customization of their party, and access to several healers, I’ve made the enemies a little more difficult and given them more hp. The main theme of the new dungeon and map is the importance of handling damage of time effects (burn, poison, haunt). To make this easier I’ve added the ability to click on a player portrait in combat to view the damage over time effects on the player, and the current stat bonuses they may have.
    [​IMG]

The main feature of this update is the new dungeon, the dark tomb. The player will journey into the graveyard and purge the darkness that has been haunting the town of lyte. This dungeon is split into three main parts. The first two parts can be done in any order.

[​IMG]
    On the left (red) side of the dungeon you have more physical, melee and ranged enemies to deal with. This side involves sneaking past enemies, or using raw power to overwhelm them. It also includes some valuable equipment! The boss of the red side is a powerful skeleton lord that will counter attack your abilities if you are not careful.

[​IMG]
    On the right (blue) side of the dungeon you will fight powerful skeleton wizards and their elemental slimes. These enemies are very dangerous because of their status and damage over time effects. This side also hosts tons of different puzzles that the player must navigate! I’m hoping for this to just be the start of puzzles for future dungeons! You’ll have to defeat a powerful skeleton mage in order to finish this side of the dungeon. Be careful as he can reflect your abilities back onto yourself!
    [​IMG]
    Once you have completed both sides of the dungeon you will be able to proceed to the final room. In this room you will show down with the white skulls once again. Be careful, this time they have bows! When you reach the end you will face Xaan once and for all in an epic rematch. If you are able to defeat him, you will be rewarded with the shadow crystal!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The shadow crystal (like the earth crystal) gives all of your characters an additional effect! This helps classes be more unique and allows them to be even more balanced! You’ll also get a magical leaf that you can use to recruit the alchemist class! The alchemist boasts powerful stat increasing abilities, the ability to use potions, elixirs, and revives for free, as well as some potent damaging abilities. These will be increasingly important skills for the content to be added in the future!

I hope you are as excited about this new update as I am and I can’t wait for you all to play it! Thanks for reading!

16. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    First I want to say thanks for the chance to test on iOS. This game is great. When you first boot it up it looks and even slightly feels very basic. Which isn’t always a bad thing, basic is comfortable. But, it doesn’t matter, why? Because that basic gets thrown out almost immediately. This is anything but. The fact that there are different ways to go and some are dead ends and some are treasure leads to good amounts of exploration. A jrpg should have that. Too many jrpgs nowadays where the developer decided it’s ok to eliminate all the exploration in favor of map icons and just clicking a level to start a battle. This is to me just tells me they’re getting lazy. Or more so that they’ve BEEN lazy, not getting there. anyways back to what I’ve played. So I started off choosing a class which I liked, I chose ranger, I always do anytime a game lets me choose . Not too long after I recruited another ranger , that’s just where the story took me, I immediately regretted started myself off as a ranger , lol. That regret was confirmed when I’ve now recruited 4 more people and still not a single healer. I’m sure it’s coming but the way it’s set up , if you don’t choose a healer as a starter class, the game is pretty difficult, which is good and bad depending on what you like. I like difficult but I’m more of a medium type of person so I would have preferred getting a healer as my third hire in stead of .... you know who ;) that way it was a little harder through the first boss then it a little easier after that. The battles have decent depth I like as a ranger if you choose to hide it opens another set of skills like snipe or an aoe shadow attack. It’s refreshing to have those slight differences, most turnnbased jrpg types just have you attack, skill, item, defend, run. Where skills are learned as you level or by items you equip and in this game it seems it’s just by leveling but again there’s skill combos so they aren’t all available all the time in every battle. It all depends on what skill you use first and what combo shot that can open up. Love it! I’ll contribute in a second post this feels long lol.

17. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Ok so. Basically the games fun, difficult but not TOO much. I’d like to see a healer be recruited around third, in stead of who I got after the first boss. Exploration and the thrill of finding treasure is present, thank you, thank you, thank you. Now controls. Battles are fine it’s just click. Click. Click. But on iOS as such, a touch screen. I would like to see diagnals added to the virtual d-pad . I see why it wouldn’t be there on pc if someone was just using up down left right arrows. But when using your thumb to move on a touchscreen we just slide it around so that virtual pad needs a 360• range of motion, having to push down, stop, push the next direction, stop, push the next direction, etc, etc, gets tedious. Sooo pleeeeease consider changing to a full range virtual thumb stick in stead of the d-pad. Otherwise everything else is spot on. I can’t wait to keep checking things out and what else I can find. I fought a mimic at around lvl 15-16 and got my ass handed to me. Maybe a little too hard for where I encountered it but mimics should be difficult:p so I suggest either a little less life or maybe lower it’s max damage output slightly.

18. Iceberger3

May 2, 2016
    Male
    Indie Game Developer
    Wow thank you so much for playing! Yes Ranger is definitely the hardest class to start as. I should add in some difficulty indicators for when you pick your class! I agree i need to beef up the movement. I need to make it so you can swap directions without lifting your finger.

Haha yes the mimic is supposed to be really tough! Something that most people cant beat when they encounter it, but gives people a reason to come back to the zone. Don't worry, once you defeat the mercenary leaders you can get a healer, or when you go to the next town you'll also recruit one there so you will have plenty of options! Don't forget to stock up on potions, as they do restore a lot of hp!

Thank you again for playing and I can't wait to hear what you think about the rest of the game!

19. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    Yeah. I’ll eventually go back for that mimic. I went through the merc camp and fought the guys at the end but they beat me so I continued on from there to the next town. There’s that healer I was lookin for :p lol and a mage, all in 1! I like it. Now he has helped quite a bit but it never took away from the difficulty. I’m in that haunted forest area. This place is actually quite large. But I was wondering if the random encounters were a little too much . What I mean is it’s been every 4-5 steps like clockwork and there’s a battle and so far I’ve seen no way to run or anything. Not that they’re too hard or anything , it’s just when the battles come so frequent a point comes where you just want to go and finish treasure collecting in the area so you can move on :p

20. dbagga84

May 22, 2013
    I finished the demo! Man if what’s available is just a small part of what’s to come I see this game is gonna be big. That last dungeon, the dark one, whoa boy, it’s huge! And it was pretty hard too. Hopefully you plan to add the option to flee battles whether it just be there by default or something you can only do with a ranger in your party (I didn’t see any thief class) but fleeing is definitely something we should be able to do. At least from random encounters. So all in all as a whole the game is great, I really don’t think I encountered any bugs or glitches . I’d like to see a little more variety amongst the skills. With a small exception it feels like most of the classes are too similar. A couple Attack skills and then a increase def and an increase power. I think Garrett, in stead of having the shield 1 guy skill you should replace it with a taunt to just force the enemies to attack him for 1 turn with a 3 or 4 turn cooldown so that it can’t be abused. I liked how the witch has the ability to lower stats. But I didn’t know what haunting does. It makes purple things bubble under the sprite like fire and poison but :confused: I’m not sure what it actually does. Also the elixir I guess cures it but the item says in cures hp and ill and in a fight they call it haunting, I had poison and flame on and elixir didn’t cure those and I mostly assumed Ill would be poison. Not sure if elixir is only supposed to cure haunting or if it’s supoosed to cure all status effects but rn it only cures the purple haunting effect (whatever that does lol ) I love the ranger skill. And what’s his face? Chase ? I dunno the gambler. I only used him for a little bit I found him too weak and pretty useless compared to others . He should have more to him. Like he’s a gambler so randomness is his life. Maybe the aoe card throw can cause random effects like in a group you might get 1 guy paralyzed while another is poisoned and another is on fire maybe another guy ends up paralyzed or resists it, but that would be fun. Maybe a dice roll skill where the random numbers +10 is how much damage it does. If you roll a 3 it’s 30 if you roll 6 it’s 60 or 2 6s then 120 . It’d be a fun gimmicky thing for him that would also make him a little stronger (if you’re lucky) but at least he’d look more appealing to use. Im ending this post here but I have more to say. I just have to go take care of some things lol.