Universal Pixel Starships (by Savy Soda)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Dec 18, 2015.

?

Do you like the update?

1. Yay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    And somewhere I've read "version 2.0 is out!! Look it up in the AppStore, simply upgrading the app won't work" o_O
    That's quite odd, since I downloaded the game just 24h ago.
    And it's 0.2.3 version; do they mean this one with 2.0 or is there another more recent build under a slightly different game name?

2. ashmike3

ashmike3 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    One of your active rooms needs to be a command center. It allows access to the AI

3. chk1975

chk1975 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    The disapearring loot bug is game breaking and need to be fixed ASAP.
    Finally enough for that big upgrade..... But no resyncing with server resources gone!!!

4. j.e3diu

j.e3diu Active Member

May 28, 2014
    I wonder why it was released as it clearly isn't ready. And the info about "version out, update through app store" isn't about v.2,0, it's about 0,2. Server problems, can't find pvp opponents, missing resources, third ship upgrade severeal hours, fourth was already 24h. Needs balancing and optimisation. I'll give it a shot after update.

5. AiAiAyumi

AiAiAyumi New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    I get server error when receiving first achievement

6. RichRuzz

RichRuzz Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2012
    Constant desynchs and seems to lack features :/

7. roy2x

roy2x Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2015
    #67 roy2x, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Why can't I find any pvp targets. There must be thousands of players and I can't even target one?

I am dropping this until desync and 0 targets issues are fixed. Pvp is the only decent way to get resources and with it being so buggy there is 0 progress on ship upgrades.

8. wilyone

wilyone Active Member

Nov 7, 2012
    #68 wilyone, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Gave it a try too ... constant errors when viewing achieves is frustrating since you cannot do anything until the errors clear or you force quit the app. Feels like server issues on their side.

I've been upgrading the same crew member to level 3 4 times now. The only good news is that I've managed to make 3 out of 4 ads pay me the 3 bucks to offset my loss. How do we heal crew? My captain and 2nd crew member are both sitting at 2/6 and 2/4 hp respectively. Thinking about it, shouldn't a level 3 crew also have max 6 hp?

Finding lvl 2 or lvl 3 ships in single player exploration that basically finish your reactor room off immediately does not help. And you lose immunity for attacking someone in lunar exploration? Why? I've left the app open for a while to build my 250 gas so I can get some excess power to make my ship actually playable vs anything other than the lvl 1/2 UFO (reactor and engine only) or rocks.

By the way, even if you don't engage in PvP, other players can attack you before you finish getting the pilot license. I still having finished that part and I've been attacked twice. Good thing I didn't lose more than 75 minerals and 7 gas per loss. I watched one of the attacks. The rocks in exploration stand a better chance of the timer running out and winning than I stood of actually repelling that attack.

*edit* Nope. Didn't lose my immunity ... the game didn't refresh it and when I clicked the Trophy/Achieves, it popped up the time left on immunity

9. Wootus

Wootus Active Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Artist
    I love the idea of this game. And that's why it's worth one star. But it feels like just an idea right now. And I can see it being great with a few huge patches. Right now however it's just not there yet.

And this is the biggest issue: The combat is a joke. Basically whoever hits the reactor first wins. Because once that's damaged or destroyed the other ship cannot do anything. Literally nothing.

I like the idea of the reactor powering everything but it goes down in one or two hits. Meaning battles equals one or two hits and then they're effectively over. All that's left is auto attack. Yes you can send crew to repair it, but they die in one hit too.

I think adding some kind of layering system to the targets is necessary. For example; you have to destroy the rooms at the front of the ship before destroying the rooms at the rear. That or make armor much much more effective. Right now I have three armor plates around my reactor and they haven't done a thing. Still goes down in one or two hits.

This layering system will also allow players to have a more strategic option for where they place rooms. Right now you can just target the reactor immediately upon starting the battle and destroy it in a few seconds, leaving the opponent completely defenseless.

Fun, this is not. Which is a shame, cause I like everything else about this game. But with combat being such a huge (if not the main) feature of this game, I just can't see myself playing anymore, let alone spending any money on it.

Anyway that's my thoughts, devs. Hope you take this into consideration.

10. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    So is there a way to reset this game or not? Oo

11. Pyoh

Pyoh New Member

Jan 8, 2016
    Honestly I just wish I could play!
    I'm still getting this "tap boot camp mission " glitch when there's nothing to tap :/

12. phandaal

phandaal Well-Known Member

May 19, 2012
    I was thinking along the same lines regarding the layering system. At the moment, battles are trivialised by the ability to target and destroy reactors right off the bat.

A better approach would be to restrict targeting to rooms that border the hull, and only after those rooms are destroyed to allow targeting of rooms behind them. Armour could be made more useful by giving it actual hit points, and diverting damage done to any room adjacent to armour, into the armour's hit points pool until it is destroyed - and only then applying damage to the actual room.

I would also suggest that weapons rooms must be adjacent to a hull section, since they need to fire out.

This would create a far deeper and more engaging combat system.

Or course, the priority should be fixing the game breaking bugs.

I would like to pose a question directly to the developer posting in this forum: whatever possessed you to release the game in such an unfinished and broken state? Is whatever small amount of money you raise really going to be worth the huge bad publicity your game generates?

13. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    I don't think that indicated actual "damage" to the crew; it's just the current HPs versus the max HPs the crew member can earn by leveling up, like any other crewman stat (rooms stats don't show the maximum value they can reach numerically, but you can see from the bar if any has reached its max value or not).
    When you have fully upgraded them, they'll sit at 6/6 and 4/4. I think that different crewmen "professions" have different max HP and different HP growth with each level-up, meaning they don't necessarily gain +1 HP with each level-up.

14. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    This game has a lot of design flaws, first of all the combat "strategy" issue some of us have already pointed out: you take out the reactor and the ship is done. You can send a crewman to repair it but he/she will only last a couple of shots before being killed.
    The attacker has no reason to target different systems when the reactor has been destroyed; it's the other way, indeed: you have to hit an already destroyed room to actually damage the ship, so everybody will just keep targeting the reactor room 99,9% of the times since that's the only room you need to destroy to incapacitate a ship.
    Walls are useless as they are now: 2% damage reduction at level 2? You need 5 around a room to give a 10% damage resistance. The crappiest weapon (mining laser level 1) takes only 1 shot to destroy half power bar on a room. 10% damage resistance means NOTHING: the crappy mining laser will still require just 4 shots to completely deplete a ship's power (with lvl 1 reactor) but as things work in power distribution, only 1-1,5 power bars less means the ship is doomed almost all the times.

Automated actions require a Command Center. The bridge is one but at lvl 3 no automation is available yet.

First engine upgrade already gives +3 to minimum ship level (and ship lvl 4 is 6k crystals!) and I don't think the missile dodge boost is significant to justify this expense.

IDK if the game is just totally unfinished, badly balanced and suffers from serious design flaws or it just starts making any sense very, very later (with ship and rooms lvl 9-10); if that's the case, it's still a design flaw since it takes too much time and too much crappy gameplay to get to the "good" stuff

15. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Ok. The game doesn't seem to even get sums right: had a lvl 7 commander with 1.3 shield rating; leveled up to lvl 8, game said shield rating would increase by 0,2.
    My new shield stat is now 1.4 o_O

Also, when materials get rounded up to "x.x k" format, you lose any indication of units and dozens you accumulate. Everything between, say, 1,100 and 1,199 is rounded to 1,1 k but you can't quite know how far you are from 1,200 :/

16. Spartyfan6262

Spartyfan6262 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    The game appears to be rushed or broken. I can't progress at all because every fight results in my reactor getting taken out, effectively ending the fight. There are tons of apps in the App Store, and no real reason to spend time on this one.

17. raviadso

raviadso Member

Dec 11, 2012
    There is a spark here. Really clever idea and I love space games. People like me see the potential.

But yeah, this game is junk. Totally broken. Biggest sin is lost progress in a game that allows real cash purchases. Particularly in a game that was paid for by kick starters.

18. Tuzzo

Tuzzo Well-Known Member

May 22, 2009
    Tech assistance
    Italy
    Dude, destroying the reactor is exactly what you have to do to disable the opponent. Put armor around that room and put people in it. This will give you more time to disable your opponent's reactor. You only need to target the reactor room, don't waste time on anything else. When the reactor is down, every other ship system will be powered down.
    Later, when you have access to a shield room and will confront shielded ships, go for the shield room first (preferably with missiles) and then proceed on destroying any reactor room.

19. caseyhicks6

caseyhicks6 Member

Dec 16, 2015
    I agree with a lot of you guys opinion but I'm starting to enjoy this game more, the more I progress. A lot of the complaints I'm hearing are about a lack of strategy. Just take out the reactors right? Well let me ask you this... Was there much strategy in coc when you only had archers and barbarians? No. When you progressed a little, you got more defenses, and more offensive weapons. The game continued to grow in both strategy and enjoyment.

Have you seen the screenshots of how big these ships can get? Can you imagine the strategy involved trying to attack one of these? Can you imagine the strategy trying to man a defensive against one of these ships while controlling a crew of 8 members?

Sure early on, it's not what a lot were expecting but I think there is great potential and I'm going to keep it around for a while.

20. Vexorg

Vexorg Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2009
    iPhone Developer
    A couple of tips:

Due to the resync issue with most battles, the best way to gain resources is with the gas/mine rooms. At first it doesn't seem worth upgrading but around level 4-5 the max capacity increases by quite a lot and you only need to collect every 10 hours instead of every 1-2 hours.

Put all your crew on shields and reactors to better survive PVP battles when you're offline.