Universal Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic (by Headup Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 4, 2015.

1. gemineye62

gemineye62 Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    I think this game is great. I died three times in a row and then decided to do some research on the web for hints
    on how to play etc. I finished the game on my fourth attempt and really enjoyed it.

Thank you for this little gem , ye developers of old school dungeon romps!
    I only wish that after you completed the game you could go back out and fight some more instead of retiring your team
    of adventurers.

Thanks

2. nenastya

nenastya Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Female
    Russia
    Hardcore lover

Haha, what I really like in this game is the hardcore gameplay. I play with one hero only (cleric) and it's so much fun. Got an amazing item from Blind Geisha boss and kicking enemies' asses now. I really hope for updates with more interesting heroes, jokes and bosses.

3. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Honestly one of the more underrated titles both on iOS and Steam. I think the 3.5 star review was unwarranted for a number of reasons.

To begin, the art is gorgeous. There's often subtle differences between good pixel art and bad and this is definitely of the former. There's a real coherency throughout and it's just done right.

There's also subtleties in the combat system that keep it engaging once you really know what you're doing. There's actually a fair bit of strategy to it and it's not as monotonous as the review makes out to be. You can also find a guide on the Steam discussions that show how you can ignore tedious status effects and immunities completely.

I recently picked this up again as the art sort of reminded me of another game, and this is just a step above that game in terms of polish.

4. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    I noticed this on sale so I picked it up. So far I really like it. Much better than it initially seems. Once you get going it really picks up.