Universal Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic (by Headup Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 4, 2015.

1. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    I'm on the 3rd quest. Haven't died yet. Seems barb, warmage and preist are working well for me. Unlock some necro guy. What about the elements? It doesn't show the enemies elements. You just have to guess I assume.

2. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    On first run in this game i got a very good party with dwarf fighter as tank in front, human hunter for long range attacks in the middle and dwarf herbalist in the back to heal and use magic attacks.
    Went with this combo straight to the end fight on the eight quest and died there. It took a while to find out, that getting immune to status effects is more important than having the best weapon or armor. Also keep in inventory a good weapon of every elemental. So u can switch in the beginning of a dungeon after a fight to a different weapon to make every hero deal damage.
    That's how to kick some ass in this game.

3. Ponycakes

Ponycakes Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jun 27, 2012
    GREAT advice.

I am playing this game a ton, and had great success with a Priest, Battlemage, and Barbarian. Keep your inventory stocked with elemental options, and don't forget to use your skills! (tap the "Items" button during a fight to switch to skills)

4. Russ99

Russ99 New Member

Jul 7, 2011
    #104 Russ99, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    This game rocks! But it's pretty hard, and it's difficult to get the best range of items/weapons that the current enemy is vulnerable to.

I've had best luck so far with dwarf/barbarian - warmage - enchantress/shadowmancer and using full party and all enemy spells exclusively, with the dwarf using axe and shield, warmage using effective 1-2 weapon and all enemy spell, and enchantress using all element and all party health spells.

Also my first move is a party health spell to dispel any effects from the first attacks and often these ineffective spells bounce back and damage the caster.

Also very important to have 3 big health packs available before any boss battle, and also save your special abilities for those battles too. I usually use one or two in the first few dungeon rooms so they recharge in time for the boss battle.

Still haven't made it to campaign 2 yet. :)

5. baelnor

baelnor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Managed to get hands on deaths scythe which made the first bit easy mode :)

Game gets a little sluggish from quest 4-7, challenge is a bit off.

Got to end boss and got slammed because I switched one around my status immunities :(

6. skidz26

skidz26 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Dear Devs,
    I love this game but I'm a noob and am finding it very hard.
    Could you consider in a future update including an option to quit a quest or dungeon midway to allow grinding
    and / or the option to save after a completed quest.
    Thank you.

7. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Games hard as hell but it's ok. I'm still on the third dungron on wayward and I still play that every once in a while.

Anyone else get the screen goes black bug ?
    I think it's only if you save in the middle of a battle.

My only real complaint so far is that the loot isn't cosmetic and like half of it is worse than the shit you start with lol

Other than that I really am enjoying it.

8. charlesatan

charlesatan Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2013
    I've finished the first two campaigns (they both are composed of 8 quests), and here's what I've learned:

1) The turn structure in the game doesn't necessarily provide advantage for numbers. As long as you have more than one character left, using a character ability has a one-turn cooldown. (i.e. you can activate the Barbarian every other round). If you're down to one character, this is discarded, and you can use your abilities every round. There are ways to exploit this situation, especially if your last character is the healer (in one of the quests, you will get a Moon item that enables you to attack all enemies and inflict numerous status effects, and is keyed on your Healing stat).

2) There are four "skill" challenges in the game to unlock treasure: Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, and Faith. Since you only have 3 characters, I recommend building your party around these three stats (I usually go for Strength / Dexterity / Faith).

3) Specialization is key. If you don't die, your characters will reach around Lvl 14~16 by the time you reach the end game. For stats, I usually spread it between your primary stat and health. You also want a tank in front (equipping shields make them tougher), and a healer (the targeted Heal and the Party heal that removes debuffs are useful) at the very back.

4) If you don't want to bother with the "elemental" system, stick with Universal damage weapons (or if you do keep an element, make sure you have a spare that's a different element in your inventory). That just leaves the Physical and Magic types to worry about. Usually my middle character (a Dexterity class) keeps two weapons for this purpose, a magic type and a physical type, so it can alternate depending on the enemy.

5) In the late game, each character should hopefully have two status immunities (one for the head slot, another from your amulet/belt slot). Knowing the stage (whether from experience or from the hints the snail gives you) can help with this. In general, the status ailments you'll want immunity from are the following: stun, confusion, poison, bleeding, fire; these status ailments will get you killed (and in some stages, it has 2~3 of these status ailments). In the higher levels, it's these status ailments that will kill you.

6) If you meet Death, don't challenge him.

7) Once you're relatively wealthy, there are two classes you can easily unlock. One is by drinking 50 beers (14 gold each) at the tavern, and the other is drinking 50 potions.

9. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    There are some things I don't understand, probably because my English is not that good and because I am not good at these sort of games.

I try to attack with the right element, but even if the strike is 'effective' (does the color of that phrase reveals the element of the target?) mostly the damage is not that much. Mostly attacking with a neutral weapon does greater damage.

When the attack is 'absorbed', does that mean that I am attacking with the same element.

And finally, do all the monsters in the same dungeon have the same element?

Thanks in advance,

10. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    I can't get over the issues that people have with price. If you can afford the Internet, a cell phone, tablet, data plan etc. you should be able to afford the $10 this could potentially cost you, based on your country of origin. If this is such a huge issue for you, you probably shouldn't be skimming gaming forums but looking for alternate work or a new job.

That being said, can anyone comment on the playthrough time? Please and thank you.

11. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    #111 Luciano1084, Mar 8, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
    People here will always complain about prices.. It's pointless getting worked up about it. I bought the game yesterday and still haven't opened it.. Once I start playing I know I'm going to neglect my other apps.. I've got 4 days with this one before Starships comes out ###

12. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    You can strike something with effective marked but you still have to have a relatively normal or high damage with the weapon.

If it's absorbed it's probably of the same element. Not everything in a dungeon is of the same element either.

I haven't paid attention to the colour of the text so can't tell you at the moment.

13. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    7) its actually 100 beers, not 50.

14. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    I'm reading reviews in the App Store stating this game is to difficult.. I'm yet to die after 3 dungeons.. Quick question, what do drinks at the tavern do?

Attached Files:

15. Tritone

Tritone Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Singapore
    What do the colors of items mean? Grades?

What is this purple bone I keep finding in the Boneyard? Is it special?

16. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    [​IMG]

5th March 2015

[thread=256611][​IMG][/thread] [thread=256469][​IMG][/thread] [thread=256474][​IMG][/thread] [thread=256486][​IMG][/thread] [thread=256330][​IMG][/thread][thread=256475][​IMG][/thread]

Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic

[​IMG]

Has been successfully nominated for the TA Forums' Game of the Week

VOTE HERE

Developers, publishers or affiliates cannot vote for their own games!!

17. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Game Impressions

I was a big fan of Pixel Heroes playing it for some time. But then i found out that this game is completly set up to memorize every end boss fight and the status effects the boss will give to your party. If you don't write it down to equip the right stuff to be immune, you are totaly lost. Starting with dungeon 4 it gets terrible hard. Once you enter an endfight without knowing what the end boss will fight with, you need to have just luck or you are dead. This takes away totaly any tactical approach. This game sucks a lot and is a dazzler.

18. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    my best run... at least for now

Attached Files:

19. KBPrinceO

KBPrinceO Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Game Impressions

Rock solid game mechanics. That's what I pay money for. I do not want my hand to be held, I want to go back to the days of the SSI Golden Box rpgs that kick your derriere if you don't know what you are doing. You can tell that this game's creation was an act of love.
    Also digging the Lovecraft references strewn throughout it.
    My biggest beef with the game is that I want to try lots of different class combinations... but that's just a sign that the game was made well.

20. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #120 zen_mode, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    Edit: Finally grabbed it and can confirm that the app saves state even during battles. Very well executed.