Universal Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic (by Headup Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 4, 2015.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Thank you!I almost completely missed that hilarious trailer.

2. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    #82 Ghostdog1, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    The game is not so hard. I still play with my first characters. So far i have finished 6 quests. Because you get unlocked heroes from quests or sidequests i can't wait till my heroes finally die to choose new ones. The gamedesigners want you to have some replay value. It's not an ordinary rpg. Its more like Wayward Souls. At some point you will have to go again. That is why there is a graveyard in the menue, so that you can visit your fallen heroes. You will learn more with every playthrough. You will have to learn how to make a good party.

This is not true. On my last quest in the boss fight my tank character and long range character died in the first seconds. I was left alone with my healer. I had to trash one healing spell so that he can fight with bare hands against a huge boss. 7 minutes later i won this fight. And 3 minutes later i was back in town and revived my fallen heroes. Sometimes you just need a bit more tactic. Thats it.

And to all you crying whiners about the price for this game. Just go to McDonalds or Murderking and buy a happy meal. That's where your money should go. You don't deserve such a good game. You deserve shitty free games forever and should be banned from any paid game. Ios games are so damn cheap. Are you all crazy? Have you ever bought a pc game on steam? And this is a steam game! All this price whining makes me sick.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

A bit harsh, but... yeah, exactly. Those mindsets are poison for premium games.

4. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    So am I missing something, or is there no way to "retreat" from a dungeon once you've started it?

It seems kind of silly if you go into the first room, one of your characters dies, and the other two decide, "Well, the exit's right over there, but let's keep going on until the end anyway."

It'd be easier to advance if you could face random encounters close to home. Instead, you can't leave town without a quest, which involves 3-4 encounters to get there, eight dungeon encounters, and 3-4 more encounters on the way back.

... which is probably exactly why they DO it that way, I suppose. :)

Anyway, just confirming there isn't a "RUN AWAY!" button and you're committed to 15 or so encounters every time you leave the safety of town.

5. sweeneyish

sweeneyish Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Opera Singer
    Toronto
    Unless I'm missing something, I'm pretty sure you can't escape a dungeon once you start it. Definitely ups the challenge!

Just wanted to post some more impressions after playing the game some more. The more I play, the more I like it! Getting to play as all the different classes is pretty addictive, and there's actually a fair amount of strategy involved with the kind of equipment you equip and weapons you use in certain dungeons. I definitely think it's worth the cost, there's quite a bit of content.

6. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    Stumbled into this one late. People are complaining about 7 bucks for a game?

Even when I was a broke ass college student I could usually scrape together $5 for something. $10 might be a stretch.

What I'm trying to figure out is why games that come out on mobile platforms are usually twice as much on the PC, or why is it ok for them to be twice as much then no one complains. If this was $14 on the PC, no one would blink.

7. KBPrinceO

KBPrinceO Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Instabuy based on that trailer alone. Support good devs, support premium games, your money is your voice!

8. Luciano1084

Luciano1084 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2014
    Love me a good RPG and enjoy roguelike elements in my games.. So why don't I hit the buy button already? ######

9. Laire

Laire Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Overworked Graphic Designer :)
    That's what I thought - just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. Since I'm old enough to have TYPED that Load "*",8,1
    in-game boss reference on my own Commodore back in the day, my observation skills aren't what they used to be. ;)

Once I adapted to the idea that this is a game where I actually NEED to spend my starting cash before I leave on my FIRST quest, I've managed to survive a journey or two.

10. stbsteve

stbsteve Active Member

May 20, 2012
    This is totally money well spent! Bought on the strength of the trailer (you had me when you waved the floppy disk to insert into the unity engine) - and my first few minutes I thought 'I've made a big mistake'.

But after a couple of botched runs, and planning my party a bit more carefully - I'm totally hooked. My request (other than a run-from dungeon button - which I don't want but do want, if you catch my drift); main request would be a clearer way to understand what element a bad guy is - just so I can prep the right gear.

But overall - this game rocks!

11. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    ^^^-THIS, along with showing health bars for the enemy!!!

12. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #92 Gwarmaxx, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    well said youngster! ;)

maybe i'm older than you, but i'm also coming from that golden C64 gen, when we waited 20 minutes to load a game :eek: ... and the games were really hard!!!

however, i'm playing on iOS from years, and this game is maybe the first one who gave me those days vibes, shooting my heart and stealing my tears... :eek:
    there's some special magic in it, a weird chemistry that bring me back in front of that old Commodore monitor...

ok, coming back to the present, kudos to the devs, this game is a gem!!!

13. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Nice. Memories... And had a VIC-20 before that! Wish I had kept those things for keepsakes if nothing else.

14. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #94 Gwarmaxx, Mar 7, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
    wow, this game goes better and better...

i've just beat my first quest at first strike, with the help of great stuff looted along the way to the boss... and on the way back to the village i've unlocked the Bard!!! is he the same one from Bard's Tale? ;)

edit> btw, i have a Barb-Mage-Priest.

Attached Files:

15. YaoYao

YaoYao Active Member

May 21, 2014
    Because the expectation based on the mobile games market is to get everything for $1 or free. I game mainly on my PC and I'll drop $10-$20 for a good-looking title without blinking, but a $2 iOS gem...? I'll wait for the $1 sale.

The mobile market has conditioned me to wait for sales; and as bad as I feel for the devs cranking out great titles on the platform, it's a hard habit to break.

16. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Okay it's a fun game.... I've unlocked a few classes and stuff... I gave it a good spiel on this thread somewhere. Anyway, There's gotta be a way to run from a fight! Or maybe slit your own throat. I got stuck with a grimoire and the damn randomized made sure my 50% chance to catch him on fire never work... Do you know what that means? He killed all my guys. Only took 800000 turns but hey! I got him to near death once (u hit for 1 or 2 damage if your lucky). Then he did his stupid protection spell and healed to healthy. Like wtf? That's cheaper then Ehonda on street fighter 2 turbo.

So what I would love:

*****Way to run away during a fight! Or a way to switch spells (run away fits better with this!!!!

*****Way to get back to town if your having a rough time in dungeon... I know I know, it's part of the game but it actually stops me from playing... I lose two guys, I exit and restart. Cause I know I'm gonna lose,,, how bout if you escape to town your ass naked???? Lose all your shit cause your so busy running! Dick flappin in the wind and all!

I do love it I've been spending lots of time on it... Even at night when I should be sleeping for my 12 hour shift at 6am hahahahah k luv ha wonkers

17. skidz26

skidz26 Active Member

Oct 16, 2014
    Well worth the price! I don't mind paying $9 AUD for a work of art like this.
    Hope this game gets the attention it deserves.

18. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Liking this. However it's insanely hard. I can't even get past the 3rd room of the dungeon. What is everyone having luck with party wise?

19. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I'm sure this is super great. I may have adored it back whn I was 13 or whatever on my C-64 or C-128 but with so many other great games in my log, it's just too slow and arduous for me. Kudos to the devs, the humor is great. I don't see myself playing this one much. I currently have about 100 games on my iPhone and iPad each and with only so much time to get my game on, I'm having a lot more fun elsewhere. 5 stars none the less.

20. stbsteve

stbsteve Active Member

May 20, 2012
    I normally go with one strength user, one dex user and one int user - I tend to ignore restorative stuff (but I've not got past three quests yet, so I'm no role model). Nailing which element you need for each finger is defo the key though.