Universal Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic (by Headup Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 4, 2015.

1. iMarkyP

iMarkyP Member

Aug 13, 2011
    Is anyone else on an iPhone 6 plus not getting full screen ? I've checked full screen but it's still got borders left and right...

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    That's the way it supposed to look. I just tried it on my phone and switch between the two and you could tell that it is supposed to be smaller in the pixel perfect option, where as the fullscreen option just expands the center screen. I don't think it's meant to be a truly "full-screen" displayed game.

3. iMarkyP

iMarkyP Member

Aug 13, 2011

Yup makes sense, and seen the store says iphone 5 optimised. Hopefully they release an update making it 6 plus native.

4. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    The issue with pricing isn't absolute, it's comparative. In absolute terms, yeah, this game costs less than lunch at a fast casual joint.

But in comparative terms, this is a triple-A price for iOS. I have free and $1 games on my phone that I've played for dozens of hours and am still not finished with. Any new game needs to be, if not better than them, at least comparable in value. Auro, for example, is a game I was happy to spend $3 on and would have considered spending $5 on.

But $7 is what I paid for King of Dragon Pass (it was on sale). Is this a comparable value to King of Dragon Pass? I will wait to read long form reviews but my impression from the gameplay video and comments here is no way.

I love the concept and I love the HoMM nod in the title, and I want to like the game, but, frankly, it looks tedious.

5. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    I like to hear anything close to dredmor as it's one of my favorite RPGs and the best moder rogue like I have ever played. Still; perma death. Is it an option per save file?

6. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Intelligent comment? He he, nice try. :rolleyes:

7. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    How does the perma death work? You have a team of 3, when one dies do you get to replace them?

8. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    It will be interesting to see if it comes down on sale, or if the devs need this price point to make the game a success. You might recall Shadow Sun, the RPG by Ossian Studios, started at $8 or $9 and a couple of optional IAPs. I believe it had a few $6-7 sales, and now following the Android release it's a permanent lowering to $5.

Obviously, the Price:Content ratio is only one factor. Sometimes you just have to support the dev and let them ease up later on.

9. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I'm also hoping for that, but looking at the aspect ratio of the screenshots, I doubt it will ever come - I'll probably pass on this.

10. housetully

housetully New Member

Mar 5, 2015
    Anyone know if you can name or otherwise customize each character? Like the idea of this game but just curious about this detail before I buy.

11. garbul

garbul Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    Yeah, the part about Unity was HILARIOUS! Then he puts the floppy disk into "Unity".... lol!

12. sakara

sakara Member

Oct 5, 2010
    7€???? No thank you.
    Good luck with your game though.
    I mean it.

13. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Once I saw the trailer I clicked the buy button. Lol. Now to play the game. I've got my floppy disks ready.

Billy

14. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Nice one thanks. Had a look about and I don't think it's quite my cup of tea. Still looks nice tho and I'm happy to have my mind changed in future

15. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Wow, I've never seen so much complaining about price on a forum since.. X-Com? This isn't a lot of money for an indie game, iOS gamers become jaded by playing all this free garbage and $1 crape, when something worth more $3 comes along people lose their minds. I still need to check reviews before before I decide if this is for me for me, but won't hesititate to spend the dough on it if it is

16. Unstablefan

Unstablefan Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 22, 2013
    Nor will I. But it needs to be "for me" in a bigger way than a 1 or 2 dollar game. And I've seen nothing to suggest that it is.

17. sweeneyish

sweeneyish Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Opera Singer
    Toronto
    I'm really enjoying it so far. I decided to take the plunge, since I love rogue likes and the graphics. In a strange way, it reminds me a bit of Knights of Pen and Paper, in that the majority of the game is turn-based battles, and there's quite a bit of humour in it. There's a lot of loot to be had, which is fun. I could see it getting repetitive, but since I'm not far in yet, it's hard to say.

18. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Seriously. Is perma death an option. Please? Someone kindly answer? I mean I have money saved for war hammer quest and maybe some other things but I could spare the fifteen bucks for another card to get this game if perma death is OPTIONAL. But if I don't get an answer I will live my life in eternal wonder..., XP

19. sweeneyish

sweeneyish Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Opera Singer
    Toronto
    I haven't died yet, so I'm not sure - I'll let you know when I do. I don't think it's an option though, based on the trailer.

20. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    This is why we can't have nice things.