Universal Pixel Heroes: Byte & Magic (by Headup Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 4, 2015.

1. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    The charm alone has got ahold of me. The trailer is pretty amazing though. And mixing rpg and roguelike mechanics is generally a winning formula for me.

2. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Hmmmm.

3. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    #23 anabolicMike, Mar 5, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Darn me! Just bought this on steam for my Mac! I usually looks all games up to see if mobile is coming because I would rather have the mobile one cause my Mac is for work and my mobile stuff is for gaming hahahaha. I'm buying it right now anyone and while it downloads check out this wild tumblr I found with cosplay girls on it! Tumblers are always safe for work aren't they?

Edit: k bought gonna play it.... It's wild on the Mac.... Its cheesy and over top but lots of fun!!!!

4. bobaferret

bobaferret Member

May 12, 2012
    Washington
    I might have to buy this just based on that trailer!

5. rezn

rezn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Mar 8, 2014
    Male
    Coder/Keyer in medical ICD 10
    Reno, NV
    Gnarly! I love the Retro Making-of video. That sold me instantly. Have my money please.

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Might have to wait for the imps. Release the imps!!!...
    Hate to make a price point argument but at $9 where I am, it's not quite a buy on a whim kinda situation if you know what I mean. If it is actually rather good, then onwards and upwards with $9, just not pulling the trigger until we get some imps in here

7. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    if you didn't live through the generation, then yeah, you're missing the vibe of this :)

8. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    An imp? Well it's exactly like the Mac version of course. It's really fun, I enjoy the way the characters are generated. It's kinda predictable but that's the point I think.... The whole way you play is wild! The developers didn't want you to take the whole thing seriously so there's lots of jokes, you have events on the way to the dungeon... Etc etc. the loot is great! My favorite games are the ones where you collect a lot of loot and compare it with everything to see which one is better. It's cool to see how everything affects everything else. Hat that adds 4 Strength? Give it to the barbarian! His physical damage will rise!

There's also lots of different types of damage, immunities you an get and etc etc. you can give someone a parasite that rips outta their body. Also when you get heal books read them well! I had a heal that healed 60 hps, sweetness! However I found one that heals 40 and blesses the guy. Way better in my opinion. Lots n lots of effects n etc.

If this does good and the devs decide to make one that plays the exact same and go serious with it, more classes, mobs and total seriousness.... I'll buy it for 40 bucks.... Ima gonna be spending lots of time on this yo

9. RinoaHeartily

RinoaHeartily Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Why is it so expensive!

10. dudecoolguyman

dudecoolguyman Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2013
    What's the perma death feature? Can anyone elaborate.

From an rpg perspective this looks good but 6.99 - how much content is there? Is this thing endless?

11. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Agree completely, I'll take a punt on something half that price but I'm not buying until I know more

12. Dunan

Dunan Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Australia
    Visit the steam forums. It's been out for a bit so they have more experience with the game.

13. speetz

speetz Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2013
    Is perma death an option? Like in dredmor? Cuz I like having a save where if I make one stupid mistake or drop my phone I lose everything I have worked for and end up with ten dead toons who are all basically working tower the same end attribute/skill/equipment goal. Then I can play with on sometimes and have my save with it off. I love character development in RPGs (which is why I like mmos a lot probably) And it's one of my biggest game traits I look for. Character development, combat and if it's a party system it should be done right. Knights of pen and paper did that well.

So yeah. Perma death; option? (Sorry long night and on my phone XD)

14. Praymettin

Praymettin Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #34 Praymettin, Mar 5, 2015
    Looks like a hilarious game, not completely random but it is definitely different. Don't the weapons and armor change character appearance?

15. Sven - Monkube

Sven - Monkube Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    That trailer was awesome. And also, getting all that stuff (the clothes, the massive amount of '80 gear..) ... I rewinded one part, and then paused it, just to check.

Never before have I paused a game trailer. So I guess they've unlocked that achievement :)

16. ElPumo

ElPumo Well-Known Member

May 12, 2012
    Author
    Harrisburg, PA
    Trailer gets two thumbs up!

17. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #37 JasonLL, Mar 5, 2015
    Very early into the game but my first impressions are charming and awesome in the best ways. The best way I can describe it is if Dredmor, Knights of Pen and Paper and Oregon Trail had a baby and something like this popped out. I can't speak on it's longevity or overall quality since I just completed the first couple quests but I'm pleased so far with the purchase. The game has a similar tone to Dungeons of Dredmor in its mostly humor approach with a bit of depth underneath.

18. sivad

sivad Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2013
    .....I hate my life

19. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Sigh

20. Ghostdog1

Ghostdog1 Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Game Impressions

This game reminds me most most of all of "darkest dungeons" mixed with a lot of monty python humor. Very good battle system that is not too complex. Also the upgrades and weapons for every hero are superb cause you use the weapon that is best for your strategy and not any fixed stuff. There is also much to unlock (heroes, achivements, powers,...)
    After looking on the price i had to fight with myself. But its absolutly justyfied. This is truely worth the 7 bucks. I see hours of hours of gameplay and very soon this will be "best game of the week".

I know that "Criminel" will be released today, so i think this has also chance on "best game of the week".