Universal Pixel Dungeon: Rebirth (by Master of Code)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Jun 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. serion442

serion442 New Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Very sad this got pulled if that's truly what happened. I'm really looking forward to playing this

2. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Update

The dev just replied to my thread on reddit with this:

So for those who missed out, you could look forward to the official version (by watabou) hitting soon.

3. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Good news for those that missed out.

Though strange the way the dev of this released his by what sounds like at max only a few weeks ahead of Watabou's. And even then only to be pulled within hours. Why bother? Epic coincidence maybe. Maybe something in the latest build that makes it easier to port.
    Anyway, just interesting having two versions in such close succession.

4. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I actually replied by asking why he submitted in the first place. My guess is that Watabou reached out to him. We'll see though. I'm also trying to figure out if the official app is actually in the approval queue or it's still in development.

5. ZS77

ZS77 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2015
    Gutted I missed this, have been waiting ages for it to port over!

So if it's free, does that mean there's no copyright issue with distributing the ipa file to other users?.....and if not, could this be installed on a non jailbroken iphone using either itunes or ifunbox?.....see where I'm going with this?! :)

(Just to clarify - I'm not advocating piracy. It was a free app so don't see the harm in distributing further copies or discussing the possibilities. Apologies if I have this wrong.)

Failing that, guess I'll have to wait for the other version to release. Just hope it's still free and not ad supported - although wouldn't mind paying IAP to remove if I had to.

6. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    Unfortunately you can't, IPA's are individually signed for each device's ID and it's plain impossible the legal way, sorry. The best thing you can do is wait for the official release.

7. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    I can assure you that it wont have anything like ads or iAPs. This is a completely free and open source game a la Nethack or Brogue. It will be virtually identical to the version that was pulled, save for a different icon.

8. aaoh

aaoh Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Freelancer
    USA
    Missed out this, still waiting for the game on the store!

9. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    The dev stated on the site for that he is against monotenization of this game. This is one of the best roguelikes on the iPhone. I am really shocked at how fluid this is and how spot on the controls are.

Seriously is awesome!

10. Kedens

Kedens Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2013
    Graphic Design/Illustration
    Rochester, NY
    I've taken many IPAs from other people for free soft launches and installed them on my jailbroken ipad. I'd pay someone to email a copy of the ipa my way, Hypothetically speaking of course... Anyway Let's hope the official port is as well received as this

11. Glorkbot

Glorkbot Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Cartoonist
    Well... I hope so. But there's no mention of it on watabou's sites. There's a bunch of posts about leading up to a Steam release though.

12. irettillib

irettillib Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2013
    This game showed up on Steam for $5. Bought, and it was definitely worth the price. BUT, if the steam release is official, it might mean this one was pulled because they intend to put a price tag on it.

13. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    That would make sense. The game is worth it for sure. If this happened, I'd probably delete this version and buy the official one for support's sake (yeah, I like these old-looking games with simple gfx blablabla :D).

14. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I have to believe, as the dev proudly offers his Android and PC versions as open source, that somebody would attempt to beat him to the AppStore with his official port.

15. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    This is easily one of the BEST rogue-like games on iOS so far. It's hard as nails, challenging, but truly well-done and super addictive. I mean, I wanted to play FarCry 4 yesterday and played this instead, so...

16. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I would be very careful with the "trade secrets" that you post about on a public forum frequented by developers of said games.

17. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

There's a strong fishy smell in here right now and what you're doing (trying every game in a "special way" before buying) doesn't make it more legal by buying the game later. I am also sure you don't buy every game you try. Oh, and your secrecy makes you even more suspicious.

18. Endscrypt

Endscrypt Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    No worries there I'm just saying it is possible,

19. Endscrypt

Endscrypt Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I ain't gonna tell any old idiot, now am i ??

20. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Awesome game, tried nethack for several hours but the lack of info and awfull ui was a major bother.

This game nails it at hits the sweet spot between hardcore and accesible!