Universal Pixel Dungeon (by Oleg Dolya)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by VirtualBoyFreak, Jun 19, 2015.

1. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    The dev freely gave out the source code of his game with, I assume, the basic caveat that you can't turn around and SELL your port of his game. So that free version was somebody else, not even necessarily with evil intent, making an iOS port of the game. Now that the dev himself is maintaining an iOS port I can only assume the guy behind the free version has ceased supporting the game. If you enjoy the game and want to see more content added, your best bet is to back the paid version (there is already some recent cool new content added to the Android version we'll hopefully soon see here once he's done some basic public testing on the changes via the Android crowd).

2. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    It's a real shame that this masterwork of the genre only has 40 comments on here. I know there's some complaints about the degradation system but it's improved substantially after a few revisions. Most played roguelike on my iPhone, it's like a more forgiving version of Brogue. 5/5 presentation and gameplay.

3. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    It is a good game indeed! Tough, but good

4. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I loved its simultaneous feeling like a clever take on something familiar like Rogue, but simultaneously adding many new mechanics. My one big whine, however, is how the otherwise very detailed info available on all items, covers nothing about the game's many enchantments. Like if you pulled up info on an IDed Venomous Longsword, you would just get the generic description of a longsword (not likely what you really needed help with).

5. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #45 zen_mode, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    That's true, but I find myself pulling up the wiki all the time anyway, usually to see how a certain formula is calculated. Even though I'm fairly seasoned in the game I still pull it up from time to time if I want an exact answer for something.
    Putting too much info in a panel might make it a little crowded but can't really say for sure unless I see it.

One quality of life feature that was recently added that has made a big difference for me is the ability to see inventory counts in the catalog, and the ability to directly apply from there. It makes it much quicker having a list view. So there's probably more room for similar improvements.

As for the enchantments, there's not that many so you will memorise them all eventually. That goes with other aspects in it as well and the wiki gets to the point where it's really only needed if you're really obsessive with efficiency, which isn't needed ascend at all.

6. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Yeah, I usually play with the Wiki loaded in the background as well and MOST of the enchantments are intuitive enough but some the armor ones, like Anti-Entrophy, I think would have left me fairly confused without the Wiki (I didn't think rats had flaming attacks?).

7. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    The only way to control the character it touching on the tile you that wish to move?

There are no alternative controls like for example swiping to move like the solution implemented in the great Cardinal Quest 2?

8. somedumbgamer

somedumbgamer Well-Known Member

May 4, 2013
    Pretty sure that's the case, but haven't played in awhile. Still a great game tho! Maybe check the options menu.

9. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    Does the developer interact in here? Is he receptive to changes and new features such as this?

10. Claud

Claud Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2014
    New York
    According to Reddit development has stopped for this game and any more updates are unlikely. Damn it.

11. Unordinary

Unordinary Well-Known Member

May 15, 2018
    Male
    Amsterdam
    The app has been removed from the appstore and purchase history

12. LordGek

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    That sucks, but thankfully Shattered Pixel Dungeon is still about, that, IMHO, has really improved the original in almost all respects and is still being very actively developed.

13. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    Making a game bigger doesn‘t mean making the game better. I applaud the Shattered dev for putting tons of work and love into his version, and I understand why most people love and prefer that game. But I personally prefered vanilla PD in every way, since it simply nailed the concept of being a tough coffee break roguelike, in which almost every move counted. Shattered - at this point more than ever - feels super bloated. Again, might be an improvement to most, I don’t really enjoy it. Since vanilla PD is gone, my current go-to version is Yet Another Pixel Dungeon which is also available in the Store.

14. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Apparently I never got this, I can’t see it saying in the description but just wondered what makes it rougelike? Are there upgrades or anything that carry on between runs?

15. Rocco SE

Rocco SE Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2020
    Male
    Modern Mime Artist
    Austria
    You‘ve never played Pixel Dungeon or any of its forks? It is basically one of THE true turn-based roguelikes. No unlocks other than an item per character (that you get when beating the second boss) that lets you decide for one of two sub-classes at the beginning of the game. Otherwise as roguelike as a roguelike can be.

16. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @Rocco SE I’m not sure with the other one off the store I can’t check but I definitely haven’t played this one.

I do like turn based and d&d style fantasy I think I maybe need to give this a go.