Pixel Defenders Puzzle (by Gary Whittle)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Vovin, Dec 15, 2012.

1. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    I can hear this game calling me to spend a dollar on it. I must obey! :D

2. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Looks good, but no Game Center or iphone 5 optimization is disappointing...

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #23 Vovin, Dec 16, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
    I also noticed the two flaws Lotd Gek mentioned before, but I am sure they can be fixed in an update. The game needs a limit for the usage of power-ups.
    But the normal 36 levels alone are worth the asked price. This is GotW material, yes. Price is more than fair.

4. Tyra

Tyra Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    Illustration & Graphic Designs
    Germany
    Well, I think I can't restist.... ;)

5. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Trying to lure the developers to touchArcade! :)

6. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Awesome game! We just need gamecenter for endless mode high scores.

7. formulae

formulae Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Hello! I created PDP :)

Thanks everyone for your positive comments, and the constructive criticism!
    I'll address the latter first.

Yeah I kinda rushed the description (wanted the game to be approved before Xmas), it definitely needs updating with more detail. Could really use a video trailer too (thanks to Sanuku for making a gameplay video!).

Yeah, this applies to the iPhone 5 version too (small black band above & below) - I'm hoping to use the whole screen for all devices in the future!

I would like to have fleshed the Endless Mode out a bit more with some unique features, but for the current version I just wanted something where you can practice the core gameplay, and play with no stress.
    I'd love to hear any ideas (from anyone) on how you'd like the Endless Mode to be!

That's a very valid concern - A limit is something I'll definitely add in the next update.
    The plan was (and is) to implement GameCenter or Facebook to compare your Endless Mode scores with your friends - for the moment as you're only competing against yourself it didn't occur to me to add a limit.

I'd be very interested to know how difficult you guys find it in general? It's really tough to gauge this as I've played it so much it's second nature to me now.

I notice Sanuku was defeated on Level 6 (too difficult?) and made me realise something I overlooked - if you use Stock items in a level and are still defeated do you think those stock items should be 'refunded'?

I'm glad you guys like the tutorial - I wasn't sure how it'd be received, as it's quite involved.

Would love to hear any other thoughts you guys have! Thanks for supporting the game :D

8. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    Maybe in the future you could add something more like an arena? Just an unfinnishable encounter with gradually increasingly difficulty waves of baddies? Points would be awarded much like now as well as something for defeating the baddies. How many waves can the player thwart before they finally kill the VIP?

9. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Yeah, this applies to the iPhone 5 version too (small black band above & below) - I'm hoping to use the whole screen for all devices in the future!

Would def like iphone5 support.

10. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    That's a solid idea - Something I'll definitely test out. Thanks for the input!

11. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    Yes, this is what the Endless mode should be, IMO.

12. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #32 undeadcow, Dec 16, 2012
    I am enjoying Pixel Defenders Puzzle so far but agree an improved endless mode would seal the deal.

It would be good if the game informed users of level challenges to be rewarded with shop items (i.e. defeat level within 10 turns and get a void square).

13. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #33 Misguided, Dec 16, 2012
    I've just finished the tutorial, and I predict this is going to become an obsession for a LOT of people. I actually didn't care that much for Triple Town, because there was no defined goal or point to it. Here there is. I haven't played any of the real levels yet, but what I think is brilliant about the design of this game is the way matching obstacles gives you a benefit. Typically, matching a unit into a better type is better than using it, because it will get more action points, damage, status effects, etc., but there will be times it is advantageous to "use up" a unit and create obstacles too. Great idea.

Speaking of which, it might be nice to see an indicator of how many turns a buff on an obstacle match remains in effect.

There are all sorts of potential balancing acts in this game. Do I go ahead and kill the last opponent of a wave now? Should I wait and build up my board/AP some (potentially running the risk of clogging up the board)? Which units should I attack with? Should I store that megapixel or use it now?

Btw, the tutorial is great, but the delays between the text windows popping up and before the advance button appear are excessive, IMO.

14. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    So the advance button doesn't show up quickly enough you think? All the time or just some times?
    It could do with some refining for sure! Thanks for the tip and the write-up :)

15. nuutsch

nuutsch Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Played the tutorial and the first five levels.
    This game is brillant and my game of the month!!

16. mantascorp

mantascorp Member

May 21, 2012
    I'm enjoying the game quite a bit so far! I can see what others meant about the tutorial arrows needing to pop up quicker.

The other thing I wanted to mention is that currently, the sound in the game still plays even if the device is muted. Can that be addressed?

Overall, GREAT job on the game, Formulae!

17. Sotoro

Sotoro Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    Great game so far, but i really miss:

- Iphone 5 Support
    - Gamecenter Archievments
    - Gamecenter Leaderboards

18. formulae

Dec 15, 2012
    Eek! Thanks for alerting me to this - Yes it can be addressed, and I'll fix it in the next release.

:D

19. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Does this (or will it) support iCloud for those of us playing across multiple iThings? : )

20. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Agreed.