Universal Pixel Boat Rush (by XperimentalZ Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    LoL! Don't try using a Plasma Sword to fetch it out though :D

To be honest, I don't know how you guys keep up with the pace. At every launch, I furiously check the market and I have the impression that the output of quality titles has doubled compared to the last time. It's like whooaah what are we up against, again...

2. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    It's exhausting, but the worst part is that once a review is in, I have no excuse to keep playing a game, even if it's awesome.

3. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    As unfair as it is, ducks would not be forced-fed if they did not yield an excellent foie gras!

4. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    so I bought this game, and it's great fun however I got a question for you Why did you go the pixel art way instead of making it feeling more modern?

also is there any more content coming like you did with don't run with a plasma sword?

5. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Good question. There's many reasons but the most important is that we love pixel art, that's something we've been wishing to do. Also, with our capabilities, I think that we constructed cooler ambiances than what we would have been able to achieve on another style. And it's also a lot of fun to work with! So much that if we happen to make a sequel to DRWAPS it will probably be in pixel art.

Something we love to do is to mix old and modern concepts, it's nice to revisit the past and explore 'what if' forks (you should see that mixture of pacman and marble madness that we've tried to do. Did not work but it was cool). In that respect, pixel art is also one way to bridge the past with the present.

Content wise, its hard to compare both games because we think that this is a more 'complete' release than what DRWAPS was at launch. It took another 6 months after release or so to bring DRWAPS where we really wanted to.

That said, we'll definitely try adding content, even if there's no clear gap to fill.

Possibilities include: more races (another class or special races), multiplayer (local and ghosts), endless mode, re playable championship 'seasons'. We'll have to figure out what sounds like most fun for players.

6. Markku

Markku Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2011
    well I just throw this out there for a idea, Random Map Generation Multiplayer, nobody will know the races and no race will ever be the same, races will be close as nobody can perfect it, What's your thoughts on that idea? be honest and yes I agree this game is more complete.

7. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Oh I think that it's a neat idea but that it would yield production issues. Some players would prefer to have multiplayer bonded to traditional races. So we'd have to make both regular and random multiplayer. Then, with a 'random' feature it would make no sense not making a single player feature out of that.

So we'd end up with 3 content features to produce instead of 1 and that would probably be too much on our hands.

8. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    Great game! Excellent presentation with a fun art style. The difficulty is perfectly balanced.

It's like a cross between excite bike and tiny wings. The play mechanics are sort of an opposite style of tiny wings.

Super fun.

9. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Congrats on the TA review!!!! Well deserved!!

10. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yayy...let's do the wave!

11. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I'll start
    """ ____ """
    .\\_|>_<|_//

12. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #132 XperimentalZ, Nov 1, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    Shorted wave ever! Or it's on super mega slomo, like one frame per year. Perhaps we should organize a 1-frame wave celebration anniversary :D

13. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    The first update is out!

- We added an option to swap the gaz and brake

- Reduced 'angle banking' which comes with acceleration/deceleration, on iPhone (seems all-right on iPad)

- Removed the possibility to fail the 4th license by bouncing on the rock

- Made the targets in the 5th license slightly easier to destroy

- The license A unlock requirement will be to finish in the top 3 class B championship instead of top 2 (and for license S, top 2 instead of winning)

- Added a blinking effect in the HUD when gaining ammos

- Fixed the broken leaderboard (Sunset Islands B)

- We made a modification which could fix the 'loss touch' issue on iPhone 5. If that does not work, the newly optional gaz/brake swap could also be used.

- Added a clarification about how we can access the second racing category

Soon, we'll should be able to begin discussion about the various possibilities for the first big update and we'll try to set up a poll on that.

14. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #134 XperimentalZ, Nov 16, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
    Oh, and here's a few promo code :D

NWWFFLJKJMHT
    JA7X7KJNAH3W
    EF6XWP3AXLP7
    N6F4TMAR7PKR
    AK7E69R394EA

Edit: all gone

15. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I bought this game day one and honestly it's one of my favorites this year! Somebody better snatch up these codes and brace yourselves for one hell of a boat ride ;)

16. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Now if only we could clear the way on the Android and Mac version, we could start preparing the ground for the content update...

We'll have players vote for one options once we're ready.

Nothing official but what's in the air so far: an endless mode, local multiplayer, a new racing category or a replayable 'season' kind of mode.

Other suggestions are welcomed.

17. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I'd definitely be all for an endless mode with leaderboard(s);)

18. rIcHrAnDoM

Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA

bump^^^^^

19. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Before someone else loses it's time on the codes, they all got ninja-snatched :p

20. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #140 XperimentalZ, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    Finally, the Android and Mac versions are clearing up, which means that we can start preparation for creating the first big content update.

And for that, we'll organize an event, probably launched this week, where players will be allowed to vote for their preferred content.

Until the vote is started, the options are open (both in their type and execution). For now, here's what's on the table:

1- Endless mode (pick up one of your boat and try to survive and pass as many opponents as possible in a randomly generated environment with increasing difficulty. Coins/tools could be earned which can be used in career mode.)

2- Local and/or asynchronous multiplayer

3- A new 'season' type of mode (obtain points per race depending on your position and the rankings are determined at the end of the season)

4- Special 'Master Races' (in each category, a special set of difficult races would be added. The maps would have new obstacles to avoid. Those special races would be unlocked either at the end of the game or once the next racing category is unlocked (to be determined).)

5- A new racing category to be put after super events