Universal Pixel Boat Rush (by XperimentalZ Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    5th event on Fuzzy Dusk? hmmm

Speaking of odd things, we call the game PBR (the initials) during development because it's shorter. It got featured next to:

[​IMG]

What were the odds?

2. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I've given it a half an hour play upside down and it hasn't happened yet but then given the seemingly random nature of it that could be just luck...

3. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Interesting. A good test related to that would be to slide your finger from the outside of the screen to inside, and see if your input is registered (for both lateral sides). If there's a link between the issue and the orientation, I think that your input would not be registered on the faulty side.

4. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I really want to like this game but I just can't get into it. There is so much high praise from people I respect here and I love unique racing games, but after an hour or so it still hasn't clicked for me.

I think part of the problem is I'm having an unusually hard time wrapping my brain around the controls, even though they are so simple. Letting go to snap down goes against years of Tiny Wings training and it's hard to break that habit.

Still, I love the presentation and am a fan of DRWAPS so I'm happy to have paid the $2.

Did anyone else experience this at all?

5. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    When I very first played it I thought "oh no I'm not going to like these controls" now though, I wouldn't have them any other way. Plus, they work so well for me I can tell an instant difference not only boat to boat, but each performance upgrade actually feels like better performance...the controls are that finely tuned, imho, of course. :)

6. Zunda

Zunda Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2014
    Hi devs, are you planning to add online/local multiplayer?

7. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #87 XperimentalZ, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    For some players, it takes a bit longer to get used to the game. The mechanic could have been made a bit simpler but the flip side would have been to remove a lot of the depth that comes with it. We'll check if it would be possible to add some controls configurations (like exchanging left and right or exchanging press and release).

On a side note, MFI and iCade are also supported, I don't know if that would make things easier for some players.

For now we're mostly working on updading our other apps for iOS8/iPhone 6 and completing the Android and Mac versions of Pixel Boat Rush.

Once the dust settles down a bit, we'll discuss with the players to see what kind of content we could add to the game, like multiplayer, new races/tracks, an endless mode or something else.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    4 years?! Blimey!

I see you guys are at 147 now (woot!), not sure if you've peaked yet.

Glad it's keeping you "afloat!" :D

9. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    147 top apps but 68th game :D. One week of buoyancy!

10. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Just finally got some time to play this and it is everything I imagined and more. I've been watching this game for what seems like forever. It takes a few to get the rythhm down on the controls, but once you get used to it, it's great. What I love most about this game (besides the fact that I'm a pixel whore) is the content. If this was just a high score chaser, I would probably have passed it up. It's all the upgrading and boats and all the different things you can upgrade and the number of boats and how each boat rides differently. Plus, there's a story to it also. This is just an all around gem. I highly recommend it to anybody. Great job by the dev team! Hope to see multiplayer in the future at least with ghost times or something.

11. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    #91 vonknut, Oct 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2014
    Yeah, plenty of content and replay value (keep coming back to older levels to grind gold why trying to get that gold medal).

The lost touch on iphone 5 is not related to 'upside down orientation', happens with home bottun on the left as well as right....
    -but not on ipad2

Ps - mostly happens after touch indput, eg. After shooting / releasing speeder in air the repressing. -ship stops and you jabe to lift then click again.

12. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Hmm well that eliminates our only lead. I wonder if this happens as well on iPod 5. If that's the case and we'd manage to get our hands on that device, at least we'd have a chance to see the bug ourselves.

13. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Btw thanks to everyone who took the time to write a small something in iTunes (or just rate it), even if we're not pestering the players for that in game.

I know it's a chore, but I'm sure it helps other players figure out if this is a game for them or not!

14. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I can't imagine anyone NOT liking this game! ;) seriously, it's great to see PBRush climbing the charts and honestly, this game deserves to be #1 on iTunes, it's that fun.

15. PengFictionJules

PengFictionJules Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2013
    Designer at GameResort
    Claremont, CA
    Lovin' it! Worth the wait, thanks for the great game!

16. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Ha! What a freakin blast! Love it!

17. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    That's cool, it seems that a few people already got all gold trophies, Andy is not too far behind :D

18. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Games of the week voting thread is up on TA! It's awesome to be nominated among such great games!!

19. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Just cast my vote for PBR! :D

20. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Cool! I expect Skullduggery! to win by a fair margin though. I was surprised that it was not the game of the week TA choice, (that or I am Dolphin), given that Zombie Highway and Reckless Racing were already well established ips. With so many great games this week, I suppose that the choice must have been difficult!