Universal Pixel Boat Rush (by XperimentalZ Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Just bought it. First new game this week. As soon as I heard Sexy Pirate mention it gave him some SNES F-Zero vibes I got really excited. Then all you other guys pushed me over the edge. Plus it's got cloud saves, small file size, looks great, and I've been anticipating it anyway. Be back with impressions later.

2. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    The game is just beautiful. There's a ton of stuff to do, see and blow to smithereens! But all that aside, it's some of the little touches that make this game even more exceptional; the damage model of the boats as they get hit: cool as hell, some of the "extra upgrades on boats is just one ex. of the dev overthinking how to give us extra (overthinking in a good way ;) ), the water/wave effects and even watching the spray from the motor these are all things that make PBR phenomenal and fresh. I don't need extra coins, as they're proportionally earned in the game but I'm buying the large pack so XperimentalZ get what they truly deserve for this 5 star gem.

3. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Game of the week for me definitely.
    Took me a few goes to click but once it did I've not been able to put it down

4. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Nice, Rich. I love your enthusiasm for iOS gaming! :)

Yeah, it took me a little bit to catch on to the controls too. Just the short amount I've played of this (just bought my first boat and started a real race) I can already tell it's gonna be staying on my device(s) for a long time. Looks like there's tons of stuff packed into this "little" game! Love it so far!

5. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    This game is a dream! Easily GOTW!

Only things I would like to see, if you could have an option to switch round the controls so accelerate was on the left instead?

Also, gamecentre isn't working for me or logging any acchieventms for the game (which is a shame cos I'm easily obsessed enough with this to try and 100% it!)

6. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    Wow I'm blasted away from all the great comments!

Hmmm we've seen Sanuku log-in from his video, so it's clearly not a global problem, not sure what could be the cause. You clicked the GC button and nothing happened? And you can log in GC from others games without trouble?

7. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Yeah, this game is an absolute blast to play. I just left a quick 5-star review on iTunes.:)

Edit: Raft Punk :D you're too Daft!

8. boodro82

boodro82 Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2012
    This game is an absolute gem!
    The comments helped make my decision. Glad I purchased. Well done, Dev!

9. sink_or_swim

sink_or_swim Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2012
    Germany
    #49 sink_or_swim, Oct 9, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    it seems like the gc leaderboards don't work for me. I'm not showing up on the "Most Gold Trophies" leaderboard

edit: now it works, I have to learn to be patient :D

10. wigzisonfire

wigzisonfire Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Art Director
    London
    May I say again, awesome job devs! This game is freakin awesome! Literally the greatest sides scrolling, water based tribute to f-zero EVER!!

Gamecentre seems to be working now!!!!!!

11. bababewey

bababewey Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2012
    I spent a crazy amount of time with Don't Run With A Plasma Sword. It's my favorite "runner". These guys really get what people seem to want from these type of games.

12. Lazer Kat

Lazer Kat Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    The subtle nuances to this game are incredible
    There is so much more strategy and detail in this game than you see at first glance

4.5/5

13. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Ok. Played this game again during my lunch break. This game is freaking awesome! BTW, I have >2200 coins, 23 tools but I can't progress to the "B" Cup tournaments despite winning first place in all the races in the "C" Cup. How do I progress?

14. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    You need to pass your B license! Btw, it's not completely clear but it's not necessary to complete all races. From the moment that the requirement is satisfied on the championship, you can pass your next license.

15. BadMrFrosty

BadMrFrosty Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Ok fine. You all convinced me. Im downloading it now ;)

16. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #56 JCho133, Oct 10, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    Sorry for popping in so late!

But anyhoo, congrats on the awesome feature spot! Very well deserved.

And to those of you who are on the fence about this: don't be. Just get it. It's worth every god damn penny. It manages to make a one touch racer into an irresistibly deep experience that's just a total pixelated blast

17. poopyscoopy81

poopyscoopy81 Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Game of the week imo!

18. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #58 XperimentalZ, Oct 10, 2014
    Thanks!! Although it's only a feature in USA and Canada, it's still a huge relief. Heck, the game just entered the top 200 games in USA (155), that's the first time we manage to place a paid game in there in 4 years, can you believe that? To be honest I'm really not sure how we could have kept going without that...

Speaking of the devil, perhaps the recent events are a first step toward DRWAPS II?

19. vonknut

vonknut Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2013
    3 stupid questions:

Some time my boat just stop - then starts again after som frantic pressing og the speeder.
    -is my finger slipping or is it damage related?

What is the logic behind when you can shoot or not?
    Some races you cant shoot at certain times, like in the beginning or mid-race, even though you ate fullt reloaded?

Are the powerups only speedboost?
    -iphone 5 its really hard to decipher them....

20. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #60 XperimentalZ, Oct 10, 2014
    Well I hope that it's not the return of a ghost bug we could never observe directly ourselves. Being stunned (the exclamation mark) can slow you down but should not stop you. If this persists or if someone else notice this, we'll have to discuss this furthermore.

You get ammo at the end of every lap and with power-ups. In carnage races, you get ammo right at the beginning. If you're stunned, you can't shoot.

Ammo, speed boost, shield, full ammo, repair...that's about it I think.