Universal Pixel Boat Rush (by XperimentalZ Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Oct 8, 2014.

1. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    For now the game is still 50% off at 0.99$ though!

2. Neojin

Neojin New Member

Jun 20, 2015
    Workshop Class Selection

I don't see how to change my custom boats Racing Class. It only lets me make a boat fir Class C. Is there a way to change the Class to B, A, and S?

3. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    The boat class is related to the number of rated pixels you use. You can use as many unrated pixels as you want, but you can use 50 rated pixels per category. For instance, if you use between 51 and 100 rated pixels, you boat will be rated 'B'.

4. Sash-O

Sash-O Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2015
    Germany
    Looks like the game went free to play!
    They implemented some IAP & videos with the new update.

From the app description:

"Rewarded videos are now available to start a race with a random power-up boost."

"Adapted for a Free-to-Play re-launch! Previous buyers are tagged as if they had bought the premium IAP."

:(

5. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I haven't played the updated version yet, but I'm glad XpermentalZ at least gave a nod to the early buyers. I'm sure by now the game isn't getting a whole lot of attention and this is a way to get more downloads. I guess I'd rather see this than the game just fall off the face of the AppStore.

6. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Indeed, early buyers will only see the visual tweaks, the new song and the rewarded videos (if we'd have disabled them for premium users, it would have if they'd have been penalized). That said, for those who had uninstalled the game and re-installed it, unfortunately we can't track the initial purchase. This should be fixed with the current update where the info will be stored in the local cloud (the info gets saved outside the game save file).

That said, the monetization model is meant to be as fair and light as possible. The currency rewards were nerfed down by only about 25% on average and there's only like 1 ad per 5 mins and there's a 1.99$ premium IAP that basically restores the game back to its premium status.

This move was definitely necessary if we want to hope breaking even financially with the game someday. If this event goes well, it will allow us to come up with new content updates!

7. Felipe MGaia

Felipe MGaia Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    This game is amazing indeed, I recommend it to anyone reading this. Unique concept with gorgeous graphics and very well rounded mechanics and controls. I bought it back when it was in Beta on android and always thought it didn't receive the attention it deserved, I really hope this new move helps you get more visibility! :)

8. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #208 XperimentalZ, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
    Good news, the transition to free-to-play has been going relatively well. Nothing off the charts, but enough to justify planning new content updates!

We have to complete our current game in development first though.

In the meantime, we'll have to make a series a minor updates on the game, mostly about game progression, since it now looks like a segment of the players are struggling early on. We'll clarify some gameplay aspects, add a tips page and smooth out some licenses and events.

9. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    Game was ruined when it went free. Glad I took the liberty to reinstall version 1.15. Back to the good stuff. Old premium version rocks. New free version fails miserably. Lol

10. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Anytime you've purchased the premium never ever update to the free version. You will live to regret it. Thank god I'm on the ways and means committee. Lol

11. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Why would you say that? it's the same game. As stated before, the only potential issue is if you had uninstalled the game before because the game would lose track of your premium status. If it turns out that it affects many people, we'll have to implement a cheat system to get around this.

12. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    The update 1.2.3 is now available. We've noticed a lot of people were unnecessarily struggling in specific licenses or races so we've made some adjustments. Competitive players should not be affected because the gold requirements remain the same.

We've also added a tips screen accessible in-game in order to help out understanding some of the game mechanics. The most common issues are:

- understanding precisely how the stick-to-wave mechanic work.
    - Realizing that it can be useful to break and place yourself behind an opponent in order to avoid getting shot, let him spend his ammo on another boat or even shoot him back.
    - Realizing that the acceleration button covers the whole right side of the screen so it's possible to click somewhere that does not block the view (like the bottom edge).

13. H4nd0fg0d

Mar 30, 2010
    Ya, ok, well it's your game and I rlly don't think that you need me to tell you why v1.15 is better for me. You changed things, they didn't change themselves.

14. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    It's not just 'our' game, having the players get as much fun as possible is essential to us. That's why all feedback is super welcomed, but I can't be of any help if I can't understand it. Is it a bug? Is it something else?

In principle, a player making a transition from 1.1.5 to 1.2.3 should only see minor tweaks to the game. Please feel free to PM me with details.

15. LisaVi

LisaVi Member

May 12, 2012
    Adding advertisements to the game for premium customers is a pretty tacky thing to do. The free-to-play model could very well net you more cash but you may also lose trust from your customers towards your potential future products as well.

16. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    I purchased the game on day of release. Let me reinstall the game and see if I get ads. I'll report back in a bit.

Billy

17. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Premium users are not meant to receive ads. If you have an issue, please PM me with details so we can plan a fix.

The only potential problem we're aware of is if someone had the game uninstalled at the moment the transition. In the current version, even if you uninstall the game, you won't lose your premium status. And the premium tag is supposed to propagate through iCloud to your other devices when you upload a saved game.

We don't know any way to automatically resolve the issue. We can create a manual workaround in the next update but for that I need people to report directly to me since we'll need to be in contact in order to restore your premium status.

18. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Ok I've reinstalled the game. I didn't have an iCloud save. I see absolutely no ads. I played through the tutorial and got my amateur license and played the first race. The only thing I see is in app purchases. But I definitely do not see any ads whatsoever. And this is from a fresh install.

It's definitely a bug.

Billy

19. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    The first ad is supposed to be displayed after the third race. If you're shown the 'go premium' button at the end of a race, your premium status is not on.

Anyone who had bought the game in the past and would like to get back his premium status, just PM me. For now we haven't had any request but as soon as there's people lining up, we'll plan to create a restore system for the next update.

20. LordShad0wz

Nov 19, 2014
    Ok let me play to the third race. I'll get back to you.

I'll definitely be wanting my premium if this occurs. Hang tight.

Billy