Pixel Boat Rush (by XperimentalZ Games) Beta Testers Needed!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by XperimentalZ, Jun 30, 2013.

?

How Much Would You Pay For Pixel Boat Rush?

1. I'll pay 3.99$ or more!

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. I'll pay 2.99$!

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I'll pay 1.99$!

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. I'll pay 0.99$!

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. I'd like to play it as a Freemium game

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  6. I'm not sure yet if I'll buy it, I'll see.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Won't Buy: the game should deliver more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Won't Buy: not my type of game

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    All right, it seems fixed now. Weirdest thing ever. It was'nt showing on any of our devices, nor on simulator. Had to borrow an device from someone to isolate it and it turned out it was caused by an undefined variable for which the fall-back behaviour was not the same depending on OS.

*cross fingers*

2. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Hahaha scientists exploring the third dimension

3. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    It works :)

So far, I am at the practice race. I haven't been able to finish past the fifth position hahaha. It took me a few races to understand how to keep my speed, but it is still not enough. I will keep trying :)

4. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I'm getting my ass whooped by this game lol. Took me four or five tries to get through the first practice race that Miroa mentioned and even after that it seems more luck-based whether I win or not. I think I've got a grasp of the mechanics but I am aware that I'm not a very good gamer so I didn't want to mention it in case it's my usual inefficiencies!

Another thing is that I found the upgrades for the vehicles to be incredibly useful but that there seemed to be no mention of how to find them. Also, I found it confusing when it says "5 upgrades left" I assumed I either had five points to spend or could make a maximum of 5 upgrades across all feats. Anyway, my larger issue with the upgrades was quick access - it would be awesome if you could access the shop between races without having to come out of the menus; they play such a large part in my success that I have to come out every time I play one race.

5. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah the practice might be a be harder than the first races

They were added late so yeah there's probably a gap in the tuto

Will replace this expression by 'level x/y'

Yeah that would be nice, hopefully we'll manage something

6. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Nothing much to add to what Pete said.

It would be great to have a better explanation concerning each upgrade. Speed and acceleration are obvious, but the others are not so much.

This game is far from being easy and I recognize the learning curve that I had with platform unlimited :)

7. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    There's sure a time frame needed to learn to handle the break-before-the-wave-to-stick-to-it mechanic, and to learn the tracks since sometimes it's actually better to take a jump.

That said, there's a lot of room to adjust the difficulty progression. I'd say that the goal here is to be challenging, not punishing. We'll have a clearer view of what should be done once people start to have more races under their belt.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    #108 JCho133, May 31, 2014
    Last edited: May 31, 2014
    Some quick early impressions:

The Stat bars for all the boats need a bit of explaining. I'm not sure what they mean. Does yellow show improvement? Etc. etc.

I'm enjoying the sense of humor a lot (haha, the Old Spice boat) as well as the aesthetic. Also, why does Pete get a boat named after him? Not fair!

Getting the gold medals in the training seems to be very difficult (except the shooting one). Do the training medals count as normal medals?

Are you designing each race by hand?

The water seems a bit stiff at the moment, kinda seems like I'm splashing into tightly pulled fabric.

I'm liking the controls and the feels of everything so far though (only just finished the first race)

9. Jcho said to keep an eye on your game. Must be some interest.

10. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yellow for potential upgrades, blue for upgraded. Will try to think about a different color scheme to improve clarity

The original plan was to incorporate lots of side stories and references but we had to downscale the plan a bit. I hope we'll still be able to push that though.

Bronzes are meant to be relatively easy and gold quite challenging. We'll have to see if we keep the current difficulty. Right now, medals (or trophies) are split by racing categories and license. Which means that getting all bronze/silver/gold in a specific license class give you x coins, the same for races. For gamecenter, they'll probably be put together.

Yeah, every track is assembled wave by wave. Once it looks fun, the AI is adjusted to fit it.

I'll have to think about it but the way the water is constructed, I'm not sure if we could do something about it.

11. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I can't install, it says the build has been removed by the developer.

12. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    0.8.1 had a fatal flaw, check for 0.8.3 in the following email

13. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    Duhhhh, I got it, Ty lol.

I was coming back to delete my post so didn't look like a tit but you caught me lolll

14. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    For posterity :p

hehe but anyway it was our fault, sending a crooked built and then hiding it!

15. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    I thought you were referring to Old Spice to begin with and insinuating I'm old until I checked the boat names! That is so awesome, totally coincidental I'm sure but that won't stop me showing people and letting them think it :D

Definitely getting into the flow of this, there's a steep learning curve and a touch of Mario Kart-style AI where I swear the little blighters cheat. But it's all good, the progress is slow but most definitely happening. Having seen how many boats there are, I can imagine how much room for improvement there is in stats too so it may occasionally require grinding but it's nice to see a game that doesn't hand everything to you on a plate. It's essentially Dark Sails.

16. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Just to add the info, downforce relates to how sticky to the wave the boat is, but also how fast it falls to the ground when braking while in the air. Braking in the air does not further slow down the ship, which means that most of the time, it's a good reflex to brake in the air. In other words, breaking in water pulls you left, braking in the air pulls you down. Will think about a way to explain this a bit better.

Braking just allows you to brake faster. Armor acts as a damage % reduction, not as absorbtion.

17. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    They don't cheat in the strict sense of the term since they exist out of the screen, they race and they battle among themselves. However they AI is increased behind you and reduced in front of you to keep boats in a relative 'pack' which increases action and fun.

If the rate at which you can buy new boats is too low, we'll sure have to make adjustments. Will wait till a consensus emerges.

18. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    Man, loving this game! There is actually allot of strategy involved in getting on the podium! Sometimes slowing down at the lap line to get racers I'm front of you can turn the tides! Boom goes my shotgun! I feel the stick mechanic works perfectly on the waves, and the grind for new boats is not all that grindy :) will report back as I get further along!

19. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah the game opens up in the racing category B, when boats with different guns start interacting with each other. The second action button in category A should really add yet another layer but we need to make sure that the learning curve keep the road.

20. When is this game coming out?