Pixel Boat Rush (by XperimentalZ Games) Beta Testers Needed!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by XperimentalZ, Jun 30, 2013.

?

How Much Would You Pay For Pixel Boat Rush?

1. I'll pay 3.99$ or more!

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. I'll pay 2.99$!

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I'll pay 1.99$!

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. I'll pay 0.99$!

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. I'd like to play it as a Freemium game

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  6. I'm not sure yet if I'll buy it, I'll see.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Won't Buy: the game should deliver more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Won't Buy: not my type of game

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    That's a good question. The first idea was to make opponents 'bumbable' like in 3D car races, with pixels boat parts flying on hit. However we quickly realized that this would have been too difficult and restrictive.

We'll see how's the first reaction from players on alpha test, but it looks like there's enough interaction between boats through weapons, and that there's enough things going on already.

2. iTester

iTester Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2013
    Tester
    ios city
    Looks amazing . Release date ? Also If u looking for beta , then I am in

3. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks! No ETA right now, although we'll try to release this fall.

We should have a first round of test soon (alpha, first impressions). We'll give more details in a couple of weeks probably.

4. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Okay, this looks right up my alley. Here's hoping for a fall release and a smooth alpha and beta period. Can't wait for it! :)

5. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Just poking to give some news, since it's been a while. The project is still alive although we've been delayed by the release of DRWAPS on Android and the unexpected Platforms Unlimited sneaking through.

In principle, activity should resume in a few weeks, followed by an alpha test soon after. We'll contact Platforms U testers to see if they'd like to test this game as well :).

6. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #26 XperimentalZ, Mar 1, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    I must admit that we've got pretty darn close to shut this project down. The release of Platforms Unlimited did remind me how much effort is necessary on the last polish cycle of a game, even a simple one. Pixel Boat Rush had crawled in every directions features-wise and I could only imagine it would take forever to finish this for a 2 man team.

However, every time I'd go back to the game I was like, gee this is cool, we can't let this down. I really like the challenging one-touch racing system. Mixed with guns and pixels, that's pure joy for me.

So, I think we've found a way to cut a bit on planned features to recuperate the project. The progression structure will be a earn-a-trophy-level-by-level system, instead of a more open league progression with random events/stories and special championships. Unfortunately we'll also have to slash-down the equip-your-boat customization system.

However, the essence of the project is still there (pass your licenses, buy boats, lots of guns, many racing tracks, training mode against ghost, etc) and this probably puts us close to beta instead of alpha.

7. miroa

miroa Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    Glad to read you didn't give up this project. This game looks so cool. I love platform unlimited. When this one is out, it is an instabuy.

8. noah0706

noah0706 Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2014
    A mowing business
    Kannapolis, NC
    This looks awesome!

9. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Yes I'm glad you didn't shut this one off, looks very good and after the excellent Platforms Unlimited I'm so looking forward to your future projects.

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    I've been absolutely droooooooooooooling reading this thread. I'm so glad you didn't shut this one down, it's way too awesome.

I hope you can find a way to make this work without cutting too much from it!

11. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks for the good words! We love the games we work on but at the end of the day, if they don't generate much interest, none of this make much sense any more.

This certainly is a source of motivation :D.

12. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Honestly I'm blown away by the boat customization system... That's just pure awesome.

13. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Well that's the major part being cut :(. Not entirely though. All the mechanics will remain, it's just that one ship will be associated to one specific set of equipment, all having their own effect on gameplay and controls. From the shop, the details on each system will be available.

It would be easy to add subset of boats though, with some variation on sets (like having a few options choice for a car). Total customization will remain a priority though, should we get some room on development.

14. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    I'm still really looking forward to this game. I'd really hate to see you guys scrap the project.

15. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    I'll try to add a few posts this weekend to display some of the additions we've made.

This one is about the current boat display, separated by racing categories.

[​IMG]

Every boat will have its own stats: top speed, acceleration, braking, downforce, armor and special equipment (like guns and defensive systems). Since they are relatively easy to create, there will probably be many more in game.

I'll try to tell more about the types of gun in the next post.

16. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    Alright, looking forward to it! The boat models look great

17. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    The funny thing is that they're more 'assembled' than drawn because they're all tiles map. That's how we can have bits of them fly in the air when they receive a hit. Another cool thing about visual damage is that it also indicates if the ship is about to explode or not.

We really should make a video to demonstrate gameplay and all asap, it would be about time.

18. JCho133

Jul 27, 2012
    "We really should make a video to demonstrate gameplay and all asap, it would be about time."

*Blows it off till next week*

19. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    #39 XperimentalZ, Mar 15, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2014
    Here's the post about gun categories. There will be a lot of sub-variations in each category but this describe the main characteristics of what we have so far.

[​IMG]

Pistols (shotguns, machine guns, etc): the most standard weapons. They have low range.

Rockets: they can have a homing system to follow targets at long range. They have an area of effect on impact and deal lots of damage though they can be dodged.

Stunners: they slow down opponents and disable their offensive systems for a while. They don't do damage.

Grenade Launchers: they have an area of effect on impact. Their trajectory in arc can be used to hit boats not immediately in front.

Mines: they have an area of effect on impact. These are the only weapons used to blast opponents behind.

Plasma Balls: slow projectiles with a large radius dealing a good amount of damage. They can also have disabling properties.

Rail Guns: super high velocity projectiles with a medium range. They can pierce right through an opponent and hit several boats in a row.

Lasers: they have a good range and have an instantaneous 'cooking' effect on the target, which means that making a 'hit' is not as random.

20. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Hi, how far are you in development? Will we see a release soon? Also, what will the price be?