Pixel Boat Rush (by XperimentalZ Games) Beta Testers Needed!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by XperimentalZ, Jun 30, 2013.

?

How Much Would You Pay For Pixel Boat Rush?

1. I'll pay 3.99$ or more!

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  2. I'll pay 2.99$!

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I'll pay 1.99$!

12 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. I'll pay 0.99$!

7 vote(s)
    15.6%
  5. I'd like to play it as a Freemium game

13 vote(s)
    28.9%
  6. I'm not sure yet if I'll buy it, I'll see.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Won't Buy: the game should deliver more

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Won't Buy: not my type of game

5 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I agree with the messages issue. Btw, love the licenses and the qualifications to earn them, reminds me of Gran T... Game plays very well and love the premise, controls are spot on and loving every minute of it. Will add more later... so far, just simply fun!

2. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    Ok. Would it be best to send bugs via test flight email? Or is here fine?

3. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    What is best depends on the cases, that's up to your judgement! Fine details, leading to lots of back-and-forth messages should often be addressed in private though, in order not to clutter-up the thread/forum.

4. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    The beginning of class B feels a bit too tough. I had to buy the most expensive boat availiable at the time and purchase all of the upgrades

Bug: if you tap the location where the restart/finish/store really fast & before they even appear (right after you finish the race), it exits you from the race without the rewards

5. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah the tracks get a bit more difficult early on, so are the AI. I'll check this out!

6. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Yea it makes it feel as if any boat before the rider is useless in class B. I think just a less drastic dificulty escalation in the beginning will balance everything out. It'll still leave us to grind a bit probably, but not as much compared to now

7. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah the idea is to be challenging but not punishing.

I dropped the AI from the beginning of B all the way up to the end of class A, as well as re-designed the target 2 license (class A) which was most surely too tricky. Will continue making more tweaks and probably push a new build by the end of this week or early next week.

8. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    #228 oscar123967, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014
    Bugs:

When you swipe to the rewards screen too quick, at times this will happen [​IMG]

When you pull down the notification center, the game doesnt pause.

Feature request:

Also the option to enable/disable a marker on your boat when racing would be appreciated :)

9. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Noted the bugs :). For the marker, you mean something to identify your boat more easily?

10. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Yes :D its hard to distinguish who is who at times, especially since the game uses pixel bit graphics

11. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    #231 oscar123967, Jul 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
    Feature requests:

Have you guys tested out a warning indicator when you're close to driving by a rock? Not sure if this should be a feature or not as it may ruin some of the challenge, but then again it wont pin point where exactly the rock will appear.

I was thinking something along the lines of this:
    [​IMG] and it'll make an alert noise & the sign would flash.

Also a map maybe? Just a straight line showing the positioning of each other is fine. Heres a concept:
    [​IMG]

Tweaks and balances
    Aside from the difficulty balance, the weapons need balancing as well. It is too easy to kill eachother and too easy to die, and when you die you practically get sent back to last place. I'd suggest a shorter respawn timer and instead of having clipless guns, there should be magazines & reloads. I'm not sure how many bullets should be in a mag, but definitely much lower than how ever many are when restocking on ammo/completing a lap on 0.8. I'd say every lap you'll get around 3 or 4 clips? And a power up will give you 2 or 1? And the reload speed should be around 1.5 seconds?

side comments
    I play every night before I head to bed & I'm almost done with class B :D. From what I've experienced its a solid beta, much fun. I do find myself having to buy the most recent unlocked boat and getting most of the upgrades to complete most of the events. There are tons of boats, so I am not sure if the game is suppose to be like this. But it is an exaggerated grind at times.

How do the upgrade currency rewards work? The amount I get per race seems a bit random

12. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah that's a couple of things we'd like to experiment with, but there's always something higher on the priority list.

No sure what you mean, that's exactly how it works.

The objective is to accommodate a relatively large spectrum of players. Some will be ok buying every 3-4 boats or so, some will need to grind a bit more. Without the upgrades buffer, the difficulty would be too rigid for a bunch of players. Doomfan and myself can win most races with relatively weak and unfitted boats.

The objective is to have, most of the time, players getting podium relatively consistently, but fighting hard for 2nd and 1st places.

It's random, but with the minimum and maximum set by the race results.

13. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    hmm, because I find myself & others being able to spam their whole clip without ever having to reload.

Ahh ok! I guess I'm just a noob lol

14. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Ah ok I get what you're saying. Reload would probably be more frustrating than anything in this context. That said, I agree that some balancing has to be done weapon wise. Reviewing them, I found out that some were off the scale DPS wise, like the twin blast.

There's a lot of room to improve skills in the game, but we still have to make sure that the average player has the room to progress toward mastering the game without being hammered down by the difficulty. Different players will progress differently, which creates large gaps in racing statistics, which in returns makes it harder to balance.

On a side note, we're in the process of revamping guns effect, the results are very cool so far!

15. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Awesome!

16. Kevd

Kevd Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    The end of an Arcade race doesn't provide any buttons to move on, restart, or anything.... forces you to hit pause to restart or head to the Main menu....

17. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Yeah it would be better to add buttons attached to the results window

18. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    Adding to that, you shouldnt be able to pause when you get to the results window

19. Doom

Doom Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Working for the man
    Northeastern California
    Just wanted to pop by and comment that I am loving the AI! Deffo lends itself to not getting to used to winning as one minute I think I have the race in the bag and the next there is a well dropped mine in my path..or a missile lazily tracks my boat then pops a hole in my boat and my track position!
    What if we had the ability to tap an enemy boat that sank us..basically labeling it for Revenge?
    Revenge could last for a lap or longer..if player was able to sink it a reward of coins or? would be granted IF the race was completed with a podium..just another random thought..don't think it would be too diff to implement.
    Thoughts?

20. XperimentalZ

Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    Montreal, Canada
    Cool idea but that's something which would be hard to communicate to players.

A new build is available! Cool new guns effects which push the pixel art side, and lots of tweaks on AI, please let me know what you think!