Pixel Art

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GSJ1977, Oct 30, 2012.

1. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    I've been a gamer for as long as video games have existed. I've watched graphics go from Space Invaders all the way to Battlefield 3. Once upon a time pixel art was state of the art. Now, it obviously isn't. Nowadays it seems to me that the ONLY reason to use pixel art is because you can't afford anything better (a position many iOS developers no doubt find themselves in). I can understand that developers generally do what they can with what funds they have. What I really don't understand is the gamers who claim to actually LIKE pixel art. I mean, just imagine a meeting at some triple-A developer where someone suggests pixel art for their next blockbuster franchise. They'd be laughed at, or fired, or possibly sent to a psychiatrist. So why do some gamers claim to like it? Does it give them a feeling of nostalgia? Is it a desperate attempt to be different from the masses? A sort of inverse snobbery? Masochism?

What are your thoughts on the matter?

2. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I would have to say that it is the simplicity and nostalgia aspects. I grew up with a Gameboy, NES, Snes, etc... and I now do find my self liking some games with pixel art in them. Don't get me wrong, I love seeing gorgeous graphics on any console/device/pc, but on iOS imagine games like PunchQuest, Jetpack Joyride, Tiny Tower, Pocket Planes, McPixel, etc... with gorgeous looking 3D animated graphics like Battlefield. It just wouldn't work. Some games do pull it off, but others are just shoe ins for pixelated graphics.

3. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Simplicity can be achieved with other graphical styles though...

4. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    Yes, but as I said, the games listed would look strange with other graphics. For instance, Zynga remade Tiny Tower but a non-pixel style and called it Dream Heights. I am personally not a fan of the graphical style in that. Some games just are fitting with pixel art.

5. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    #5 Primoz, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    You are totally wrong there GSJ...I do not only claim that I like pixel graphic, I actually like it. And its definitely not nostalgia (since im only 17). Its the simplicity that attracts me, I guess - it amazes me with how few pixels you can create an image that anyone would understand what it presents.

And the statement: "Nowadays it seems to me that the ONLY reason to use pixel art is because you can't afford anything better (a position many iOS developers no doubt find themselves in)." is just ridiciulous. Many games succed BECAUSE they have pixel art.

And I would prefer pixel art (which is real art imo) over the so popular generic 2D art any day.

And please dont mix pixel art with 3D games. You cant compare Battlefield graphics to... lets say Organ trail graphics. Pixel art is something special.

6. bknifefight

bknifefight Member

Jul 31, 2012
    Like an graphical style, it can be done well, and it can be done badly. Saying that is done out of no other means is ridiculous. Suggesting no one could like it is even more ridiculous. You claim to be a bit older (I assume you were born in 1977?), how do you have such an idea in your head?