Universal Pixboy (by Oaky Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Oct 28, 2020.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yeah this is one of my favourite games at the mo. Playing it a lot, has a huge 'just one more go' appeal to it. Again loving the graphic style and the simplicity of it, the way you can hold the button and glide down is great

aussiepaul likes this.
  2. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    The level designs are cleverly evil and captivating. This is a really good gaming experience to be had

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Your wish is...Oaky Games' command! Vibration on/off added! ;)

DariusGuerrero likes this.
  4. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Okay, yeah, this is shooting up my favorite iOS platformer game list in a hurry. It seems like every single complaint or suggestion we've brought up has been addressed. The latest update reworks the controls to be...you guessed it (based on a previous post of mine here)...more responsive, especially in terms of jumping off edges. NUTS! I frickin' love this game (and you too Oaky Games, if you're lurking and can see this!)

5. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #25 macplash, Nov 11, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    Let me test this hypothesis by politely asking for customizable buttons. Combination of iPad and short thumbs forces me to stretch my left thumb too far away from the edge of the screen to feel comfortable and not think about it constantly while playing. Option to move the buttons to the left would be highly appreciated. It’s not a dealbreaker. It’s quite manageable. But I can’t say I love it unconditionally at this point, which I’d like to be able to.

About the game itself I wasn’t impressed immediately. It felt clunky. I got difficulties to be precise. Balancing around the edges was problematic because of controls. Don’t know how to describe it correctly but it feels like my character is moving too fast or too much or too far for a single tap to the side for more precise balancing. But the more I play the more it grows on me and after a slight getting used to it period I just can’t put it down.

What I especially love is the ability to replay the level to get more crowns (and Pacifist badge eventually) and I don’t have to do everything at once as it’s pretty common in most level-based platformers. I really like the achievements although I’m missing leaderboards. I’m no speed runner but it’d be nice to be able to compare the results with others.

I don’t know about the rest but it took a few minutes to dive into the game to get completely immersed. Maybe it’s just me coming from playing Dead Cells daily. Muscle memory could be a terrible thing and being used to lightning fast responsive controls and everything running at 60 fps took a toll on me for a moment going back to retro platformer suddenly with all its perks and features. But I’m completely hooked now. Just wanted to share the journey. Sometimes I’m impressed right away, sometimes it takes a moment. Don’t judge me.;)

EDIT: oh, one more thing. The “hit-boxes” for coins could be (at least a little) bigger. More benevolent. It feels like I need to be precise to a single pixel to get those coins. Increasing hit box area could make it more pleasing.

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Thank the maker!

7. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Not able to get the pacifist achievement on world 3 level 9. Anyone get this? I've completed it multiple times without killing anything but not getting the cheevo for some reason. Not a big deal, just curious if it's just me or not.

8. Snooptalian

Snooptalian Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2009
    Just had one more go at it and it unlocked, lol... Works everytime. I post something that seemingly doesn't work right, then it does right after I post ;)