Universal pixa (by The Electronic Toy Company)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. demod1

demod1 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2012
    Bought!!! Looks awesome! I was an Atari kid myself. Loved Adventure and Pitfall! Really miss Berserk though. Can't wait to try!

2. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    And here I thought I wasn't getting anything tonight! Childhood memories and nostalgia revisited! This looks awesome!

3. popjam5

popjam5 Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2012
    So does that mean this game actually goes on forever? Like you can explore forever? That would be pretty cool

4. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    Yes indeed, you can play forever. There is a certain...shall we say...accomplishment that you earn when you fill up the three trophy rooms (24 worlds), but after that you can keep playing and earning more trophies. (And...hmmm...don't want to give too much away... after world #24 you can design the trophies yourself.) So the game is truly endless. Then the leaderboards take over: who can defeat the highest world?

5. OC Noob

OC Noob Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Kick ass game, well done! Would be a cool series if you did an homage to great top down, free roaming action RPGs in chronological order. Or if you kept the graphic style and re-created something like Zelda. Lots of cool possibilities, hopefully you get the financial support you need to keep the games coming.

6. Creepshow

Creepshow Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    This is a pretty awesome revisit to the original.
    Nice job, keeping it basic with added personality.

5 Stars!

7. Disco Driscoll

Disco Driscoll Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    #47 Disco Driscoll, Mar 21, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    Anyone else had crashes on this? I'm on a fourth gen touch and when I try to enter the portal for the first world, gold health, the screen freezes and goes black and then goes back to my home screen. My touch is very full so maybe this has something to do with it.

Edit:no matter, seems to be working better after a restart of my device.

8. Retro Nug

Retro Nug Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    The Netherworld
    #48 Retro Nug, Mar 22, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
    lol! I just told my friend about how I used to love playing Berserk back on the 2600!

This game is FANTASTIC btw!!

Is the name of your square 'Warren'? If it is its probly a nod to the creator of Adventure. Warren Robinett. :D

9. OC Noob

Sep 30, 2009
    Should have called it Flappy Pixa, then it would get more attention, haha.

10. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    Argh. I'm afraid you're right. The game did okay in its first week. TouchArcade readers seem to have taken notice and a few hundred people bought it. But it is by no means getting the audience it deserves yet. If you bought pixa, please support us by leaving a 5-star review and telling your friends about it. We're an indie developer with nothing in the way of a marketing budget, and it's a crowded world out there. We could really use the help getting the word out about the game we love.

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Just left this 5 star review in the App Store:

"Most folks who grew up playing with their Atari 2600 tend to remember the games through the fog of nostalgia. Many of us who make the mistake of playing them as adults realize how limited and, well, awful they really were, especially compared to the NES classics that followed in the next decade.

With pixa, the Electronic Toy Company has pulled off a small miracle: they've created an homage to 2600 games that plays the way you remember them, not the way they actually were. It's a witty game, full of clever nods to first-generation consoles, even as it delivers a thoroughly contemporary experience -- one that is well suited to the iOS platform, to boot.

Did I mention that it's a blast? :)."

12. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    Thank you! Mmmm, warm fuzzies. :) We really did love this game as we worked on it and have released it with joy and pride. I'm glad that those feelings seem to be coming through.

13. wishlish

wishlish Member

Jan 1, 2012
    This game is absolutely amazing. I pimped it on Facebook and left a five-star review. I'm in love.

14. OC Noob

Sep 30, 2009
    Ditto

15. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    Fab-tastic! Thanks so much. It really makes a difference.

16. korkidog

korkidog Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 12, 2012
    Illinois
    Having a tough time killing the dragons. What is the formula for swiping to kill them? Great game! Really loving it.

17. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    #57 JeffWofford, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    First, as you get up to world #6 or so, make sure that you upgrade your weapon as soon as possible, because the creatures will get more and more difficult to kill with your low-end swords.

When you slash, you can either keep your finger pressed down on the screen all the time, or lift it and touch again with each slash. One or the other of these variations might work better for you.

But assuming you've got a worthy weapon, a perfect slash is evaluated this way:

• The center point of the slash should be roughly "on top of" the creature.
    • The timing of the slash has to be pretty spot-on. The slash should come just about when the metronome is flashing red, in the center of the timing bar.
    • The slash should be pretty fast and reasonably long. Short or slow slashes do much less damage.
    • The trickiest one is this: you should change the angle of your slashes. Always slashing from "west" to "east", for example, will not do much damage. Slashing back and forth horizontally is better, but still not great. The best is to slash in a kind of star pattern, going back and forth but also "rotating" your slash angle so that you're sometimes striking toward the south, sometimes toward the north, the southwest—every direction.

If you miss any of these criteria, the game will give you a hint: "Slash the creature" for the first, "Too early" or "Too late" for the second, "Quicker slashes," for the third, and "Switch it up" for the last. If your slash is really good, you'll do all the damage the weapon is capable, the creature will be locked in combat for longer, and the game will reply with some witty variation of "Perfect!"

One more thing: higher-level creatures require a little bit tighter timing than lower-level creatures. A slash that was "perfectly" timed for a yellow spider might be "A little late" for a blue spider.

Hope that helps!

18. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    This should definitely help me, since I was having some issues with slashing effectively.

I'm on Level 9 now and got the first (most expensive) upgrade. There's now a small reticule in the bottom left corner of the screen. Is this considered an item slot, i.e. can I be carrying the sword and have the map in the slot so that I can switch between the two? Hope that makes sense.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

19. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    Right: it's an item slot. Pick something up, then something else, and the first thing will be shoved into the slot. Tap the item slot to make the item pop out again (the thing you were holding goes to the slot). Or even if the slot is empty, if you tap it, you'll pull the thing you're holding back into it.

20. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    Awesome, thanks for the quick response and for making a most awesome game!