Universal pixa (by The Electronic Toy Company)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, Mar 15, 2014.

1. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    Yes, the levels are generated randomly, but I think you'll find them quite diverse and ever-changing.

2. PeteOzzy

PeteOzzy Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Norwich, England
    Yep, count me in that camp too. Any game that cites Spelunky as an influence is going to be a must buy too. Welcome to the forums and my "devs to watch" list! :D

3. collider

collider Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 22, 2013
    CEO/Owner Collider, Inc.
    NYC
    Wow, this is exactly as described. If you grew up with and loved Atari Adventure (like I did), you will absolutely love this. I played that game over and over till my fingers bled (not really, but I probably had a few good callouses) and I still remember my way through the maze 35 years later (damn, I'm old!).
    I'm only 8 levels into it, but this adds a bunch of great new ideas while still keeping the feeling of the original. Very well done guys! I hope you get a TA review - this definitely deserves a lot of attention.

4. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    Haven't really played this type of game before (I'm young ;)) but am really liking this so far. Great work dev, thanks. :)

5. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Love everything, except the coin graphic. Just scale the sprite x4 and it will fit perfect.

Not sure if it's me, but seems you can drop items in walls accidentaly and not be able to retrieve them.

Regardless, love the game; Very much worth the buck.

The other Atari game I loved almost as much as Adventure, was Venture (arcade version was even better) which I always suspected had some influence on the first Zelda.

6. eyeGamer

eyeGamer Active Member

Mar 16, 2014
    Yes.
    I've had items trapped inside walls.
    Very frustrating when it happens to keys.

7. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    As I recall from the original Adventure on the Atari, you could do that there too. So, I guess in one sense, it's very faithful.

8. toxiccheese

toxiccheese Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Takes me back to the days of playing "Adventure" on the 2600! I absolutely loved that game and played it trying to speed run my way through it, over and over again! This is beautifully done with all the right touches. Perfect controls and awesome level design. I'm hoping that there is a developer Easter egg hidden somewhere as well. Congratulations on an amazing release. Look forward to seeing more from you guys.

9. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #29 Gwarmaxx, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    really faithful!
    this is the original version in the Atari Gratest Hits app, and also here you can throw and lose objects...

Attached Files:

10. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Was that in the greatest hits? I thought adventure wasn't in it?

11. gmattergames

Mar 1, 2013
    #31 gmattergames, Mar 18, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
    Looks like your open to feedback so....

1. Create a map icon once map is acquired in a level and take it out of the mix of objects to be juggled. Super frustrating.
    2. The coin style more akin to the 8-bit era, please scale to match other objects.
    3. Update your icon with the classic castle image from the game, current icon infers this is just another minimalist logic/puzzler/rhythm title, not a homage to the iconic Atari classic.

Love the music, sounds influenced by Vangelis (late '70's) which fits the game nicely and creates a nice mood.

12. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sounds good to pick up two options but as its based on Adventure a lot you could only ever pick up one item there.

Quite a few times i've used a key, then gone back and got a sword which i dropped etc. Plus i dont think you can use two items as later on how shall i say, you have to do a bit of swapping to get past a certain point. If you could carry two items then that puzzle would be redundant

13. gmattergames

Mar 1, 2013
    Did the original even have a map? It's great that this game does, just frustrating, toggling the map in/out of the open slot.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Nope the original didnt have a map. I've done about 6 levels so far, they're getting bigger and bigger but not to a frustrating level

15. gmattergames

Mar 1, 2013
    I found that starting with the 2nd trophy case, map became increasingly important as the level sections loop/link and disorient.

16. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    Thanks very much. I hope you continue to enjoy it!

17. JeffWofford

JeffWofford Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Programmer
    Thanks very much for the feedback. I've also felt the need for the map to be available from the beginning of some of the later worlds, and have considered simply making sure that it appears close to the starting room, so that you can find it quickly. I have a similar impulse for the sword—it should probably appear fairly early in the really large levels. We'll be cooking up an update in the next week or so with some of these ideas. Good comments—thanks again.

18. slamraman

slamraman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Aug 27, 2011
    Just downloaded this today. What an absolutely pixelated peach of a game. Visuals, sound, humour, atmosphere, controls are absolutely perfect. Easily the best 70p I've spent in 2014 (and that last part is probably the saddest part). Absolutely loving it.

19. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, and it's maybe the best fo the bunch!
    i've kept the app installed due to the old promo that enabled every game for free until deletion.

20. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    #40 Papa Deuce, Mar 20, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    Noe we need some Colecvision and Intellivison memories re-created.

BTW, I bought this just for the smile I had when I saw the image.. If the game is actually fun, well, that is a bonus..... Will start playing shortly. :)