Universal Pirates Outlaws (by Fabled Game)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NyxTowa, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    I bought the game yesterday & the gold / xp doubler.
    The game is *great fun*

The progress is indeed quite slow, but you do gain a hefty amount of gold / repute when managing to beat boss 1 + 2 + 3.
    Edit.: I usually manage boss 1+2, I've beaten boss 3 thrice so far.

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the game as it is - If progress is improved, then it'll easily warrant a 5*.

2. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    I've just beaten the boss.
    He's actually quite easy as long as you're able to give your character other status (Dodge, Rage, ...) as a character can only have a single effect active at once (Bleed gets replaced by dodge or drunk for example)

3. Fabled - Game Producer

Mar 8, 2019
    Male
    Game Producer at Fabled Game Studio
    Shenzhen, China
    Explorer is my favorite character too.

4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    i'm playing PO since day one, so understood it pretty well, but i still barely can reach the first boss in every run, and when i do it my hp are usually half or less... where the hell i'm i wrong???

5. Fabled - Game Producer

Mar 8, 2019
    Male
    Shenzhen, China
    Did you consider to take more protective cards or get a good rest and have a drink in the tavern to "restaure your health" before a boss battle? Maybe you can find some tips in our gameplay walkthrough | gunner to help you and make the right choice to beat the first boss next journey.

Ayjona and Gwarmaxx like this.
  6. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Hum, it seems strange that you have trouble beating the first boss. How about you try to invest everything just in the first boss only?
    Try to take the path that let's you upgrade 2-3 cards before reaching the boss and Heal just before. If you play with the Gunner, I could suggest to upgrade your Ammo cards so that you are able to stay full every turn and deal some serious damage with the Crit card and some high damage ranged attack. If you happen to have a ranged attack like 4x5 or 5x6, it might be better to use your Critical buff and wait for them to appear. Most of the time 10x6 damage is quite enough to kill everyone in the battle in the first part.
    Don't be afraid of taking 1 hit from an enemy and save your precious bullet if you think that you can beat him in the next turn. Some enemies have to be dealt with quickly because they can build up damage quite fast while others deal the same amount of damage and simply buff themselves, so if you have a spare shield, just use it when needed. It is important to understand the behaviour of your enemies (like the Canon guy who doesn't do anything for 2 turns and then fires at 25 damage).
    Also, try to learn the behaviour of the bosses. Most of them are buffing themselves but some just get stronger with time. There are also bosses who have different phases depending of their HP. Take for instance the Red bearded guy who drinks from his wooden cup. When he reaches 90HP (50%), he becomes enraged and initiate an attack of 4x3 (or something like that). During this turn, DO NOT attack him because each time you hit him, his damage increases. So if you use your 4x5 ranged attack, you will hit him 5 times so his attack will become 9x3. During this phase you could instead defend yourself and stack up on some ammo to for the next turn.
    I could suggest to avoid the events at first because it is a big gamble but then you might run into a battle and have some bad luck with cards... It is a matter of luck sometimes :(

PS: probably you have figured it all out already and are simply lacking some luck. But maybe some might find these recommendations useful :)

7. Fabled - Game Producer

Mar 8, 2019
    Male
    Shenzhen, China
    Your advice was much helpful than mine... :( ;)

Ayjona likes this.
  8. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    #108 Ringerill, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    I did not know this channel existed on Youtube. It is nice to see these videos presenting each characters (I guess the remaining character will come later). Very well done videos and the music is really cool!
    It presents the gameplay as well as a play-through of the first boss (with a win at the end of course). I think people who are struggling with the game will find it quite useful. Also it gives an idea of the play style of each characters so that they know what to expect before buying them!

Yours was more fun to watch :)

9. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    As someone stated earlier with the Explorer. YES you can “sketch” a consumable and use the mirrored image instead of the consumable so you don’t lose it. I get the 20/40 damage consumable and just sketch it every time the stars align and I get them on the same hand and smack people for a big 40 every battle. Now that being said it’s probably better to sketch a better card for bosses that has more benefits since you can play them multiple times over the course of the fight.

But yeah explorer is by far the funnest so far for me. I want to try the curse person but I’m nowhere near the gold for it.

10. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    So any update on changing the in game economy @Fabled - Game Producer ? Obviously with even a professional reviewer agreeing that it’s an issue holding the game back from greatness, it seems like a good idea to tweak it. This could indeed be one of the best in the genre if this were fixed.

aconfusedkender likes this.
  11. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, i usually take some rests before the last island, and regarding the deck building i find it too much random, normally i can do 10+ runs without almost finding any protective card, so it doesn't depend on me most of the time.
    besides, why the hell in the first round of each run i lose at least 5 points in 90% of the cases? that's not fair, they are always 2 against one, and if both attack there is no way to avoid injuries.

12. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    #112 Laenor, Mar 11, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Do you trim your deck ?
    I find that most of the times, the best thing to do is to :
    - Early on, fight mostly battles (You're trying to build a good deck, and need money/cards/relics)
    - Later on, random events are great - Usually prevents you from having to include "bad" cards in your deck, and the random encounters don't get much harder in the late game (whereas battles do get quite harder when you reach island 3)

- Try to get a good balance of melee & ranged cards (With a focus on one or the other based on the character you're playing)

Prioritize loot as follows :
    1) Grab relics
    2) Grab "Good" card (Card that synergize with your character/deck or that are stricly better than current cards
    3) Grab consumables (Those are great as they don't clog your deck - use them asap unless there's really no need for it)
    4) Other cards

Whenever you go to a tavern : remove at least 1 card (50gp) / Sell any relics that are not really good / repair your ship if you're below 40%. (There is ALWAYS one card that is worse than the others in your deck. Learn to find it, and remove it - the smaller your deck, the better it is - consistency is power)
    Whenever you go to a merchant : Upgrade at least 1 card (50gp) / Buy any *very good* relic (Especially the relics that provide 2 upgraded cards are cheap and efficient) / Do not buy any card unless it has *great* synergy with your deck/build.

Try to get any possible card draw that can work with your deck (best one is the 1 Ammunition : Draw 2/Discard 1... that can get improved to 1: Draw 3 / Discard 1)
    Try to improve those as soon as possible as well (More draw = more damage/defense/disable)
    Edit.: Improving ammunition cards can also prove to be very useful as well - there's nothing worse than having a hand you're not able to use at all because you don't have enough ammunition

13. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    I typically first upgrade is always either ammo or the special for said character. After that I usually start with the synergy cards like the above said. The special cards can be game changers and getting those and your ammo upgraded are key imo. I usually drop one “shoot” since I always pick up better 1 ammo cards later on

14. Dragan

Dragan Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2014
    Belgium
    I played the game extensively and I think the game is very unbalanced, directing you to the iap’s. Now, in this case there is no pay to win because even with all the iap’s you still will loose in unfair and unbalanced ways. The line between fun and frustration is definitely crossed on the wrong side. The devs opted for a product rather then a game and that’s a pity because it could have been a very, very good game.

Quoad, Gwarmaxx and anthony78 like this.
  15. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    Call me puzzled!
    I have been playing this game over the weekend and have really enjoyed it. However what is puzzling me is what is the point in buying gold? My understanding is that you need both gold and “repute” to open up most new features and you only gain “repute” by playing the game. It therefore seems that the only option worth investment is the doubler which improves both gold and “repute”.
    Am I missing something?

16. Myrkul

Myrkul Active Member

Mar 13, 2018

You can use gold to buy new characters.

17. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    Only Swordmaster - I think the rest need repute.

Myrkul likes this.
  18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Hey guys, a very important point to make - the doubler does not double your gold. The developers have edited the description, it doubles the amount of repute and experience you get (experience is what unlocks new cards every so often as you play each world).

Personally I think it should double the gold as well.

I have played this game every moment I get since the day it came out. I think it’s a very, very good game.

Ringerill likes this.
  19. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    When I bought the doubler, I could swear it said it doubled gold. That’s a load of crap. No wonder I didn’t think I’ve seen any difference in the amount of gold earned.

The barriers to stuff and now this are really ticking me off. I like the game a lot but man this is really making it look more and more like a money grab. I don’t give a crap what people think of me saying it. I’m not alone and 148apps seems to agree.

Think I may see if I can get a refund for that IAP.

20. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    Agreed. I thought I had read the same; hence my earlier post.
    It’s such a shame because this game is so good and has so much potential. But I am sure the grind will put all but the most dedicated off.