Universal Pirates Outlaws (by Fabled Game)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NyxTowa, Mar 6, 2019.

1. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Or possibly throw in also a 5k, or whatever, gold incentive in addition to buying admiral. That way people could get the next zone if they wanted and grind for the last zone.

Shit I’d be all over that. I’ve already gotten the sword smith and the explorer and have about 1k gold left after all my runs.

Guess we’ll see after the update.

2. gvegas66

gvegas66 Active Member

Jan 11, 2017
    What’s the verdict on the other characters for those who have unlocked?

3. Bobbcorr

Bobbcorr Member

Feb 21, 2015
    I’m enjoying this game ... up until the 200HP boss that you can’t attack without becoming wounded. Any hints?

4. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Try the immunity card if you can get it. You timebit right between that and you using dodge to overlay the injury and you can beat him

I just beat it with the SwordMaster by getting her achievement (not healing at the tavern) had a sick upgraded deck. Also if you have the pirate with the chest as the Stage 3 boss it’s pretty simple. The chest does give you game winning gems haha so it’s worth it!

5. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon

6. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    @Fabled - Game Producer my other idea if you don’t want to change the gold requirements for anything is to give some gold with the achievements you unlock

7. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    148Apps.com just posted an indepth review.
    Their final conclusion seems to nail the concerns posted here:

The bottom line

At its core, Pirates Outlaws is simply Slay the Spire with a seaworthy spin on it. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but there are a few annoying design choices here that can put you off of it. The main offender here is the game’s store, which cheapens the whole experience. Without spending any money, you can complete a run in Pirates Outlaws without issue and have fun doing it, but the store’s presence—with its glut of purchasable possibilities that seem nigh unattainable without cash—does a lot to try and convince you otherwise.

anthony78 likes this.
  8. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    #88 anthony78, Mar 9, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2019
    Glad to see that review so I feel somewhat vindicated when people jump down my throat about it. The repute is also kind of high. I haven’t beaten the first boss yet but still when I have played several hours and only have 115 repute and see 500 needed to unlock the next area that just makes you feel kind of like you aren’t getting anywhere.

I have the doubler with the 5000 gold and had the cash to open the island but obviously couldn’t.

I know it will come once I beat the boss but others playing who aren’t in forums like this to know that will grow frustrated.

Say whatever you want about “oh what’s the difference if you buy an IAP for gold or buy it outright?” The difference is frustration and not feeling like you are getting far even WITH an IAP purchase.

People will see reviews like this and be turned off.

It says this “Pirates Outlaws would be one of the best card-based dungeon-crawlers around if it weren’t for two specific issues with it.” I agree. It could be.

Excellent review because it highlights all the great things about the game and the one thing that drags it down (the other, screen orientation, was fixed).

Quoad likes this.
  9. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Yeah. Nail, head.

Cracked.

Bought the doubler.

I can’t say I’m feeling any substantive value from it.

10. aconfusedkender

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Well the dev said they will be addressing the payouts so let’s wait and see what they do.

11. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    The repute gain is fine. I’ve played casually for a couple of days with the booster and I’m easily over 500 repute (678).

12. vectec

vectec Member

May 5, 2016
    Thank you, i was thinking that status adds up and that i must memorize all of them ;)
    In fact with that in mind i finished the first chapter.

Great game !

13. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    Can you define casually ?

Some people here seem to call 2h a day casual playing ...

stubbieoz likes this.
  14. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #94 JasonLL, Mar 10, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2019
    Sure. About one and a half hours the first day of purchase and probably around 30 to 60 minutes per day after the first.

The most runs I’ve played was 7 or 8 on the first day and I average around 3 to 5 runs per day after the first day of purchase.

For a roguelike-lite I feel that’s pretty casual. I remember spending hours on Angband and its variants back in my younger years and I probably spent 8+ hours per day playing just Diablo, LOTRO and Civilization years ago when I was able.

BlueTrin likes this.
  15. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    If I want to unlock the full game without grinding too much, how much will that cost me ?

16. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Depending on your definition of “too much?”

Say, £1 for the game, £3 for the booster pack (w/ 5k gold (1 area unlock, but you’ll also need exp)), £5 for 10k gold (+1 area unlock).

That’d leave you with 5k gold spare. There’s 21k of characters to unlock (prices 1-8k), and a £5 IAP only sixth character.

Unless you’re playing pretty obsessively, it’s gonna take a fair while to chip much gold off that target through sheer grind alone.

BlueTrin likes this.
  17. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    So, yeah, £9 would get you access to all areas (though you’d need to also hit exp requirements), a doubler, and perhaps two additional characters.

The Dev May adjust the grind ratio, apparently.

BlueTrin likes this.
  18. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Well, technically you still can’t unlock other areas with those gold IAPs due to the repute requirements.

BlueTrin likes this.
  19. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I suspected “exp” would communicate that gold is not the only barrier more succinctly than explaining what “repute” is, but technically yes.

BlueTrin likes this.
  20. Ringerill

Ringerill Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Every character has its own unique feature and some special cards but it has access to the same pool of cards as the everyone.

The Gunner is a good choice at the beginning because you don't really have to struggle that much with ammo and you can deal some serious damage in 1 turn. I can get you easily to the first boss and often the second if you get some good Ranged attacks and relics. What I always do is to upgrade first the Ammo cards so that I can use my whole hand every turn. This can get you to the first boss in 5-9 minutes and you are almost sure to win.

I have also bought the Alchemist but I still have to understand how she works exactly. It seems to be a totally special Hero that uses Alchemy to Fuse cards. What it mean is basically to combine 2 cards to create a new one based on the characteristics of both (it can be done in combat and it is temporary, or you can pay 50 coins in the tavern to make it permanent instead of deleting a card from your deck). For example, you combine a Shield and Pistol and you get an Armor piercing attack, if you combine a punch and evade you get the attack that allows you to get Evade if you don't have any armour, if you combine 2 shields you get a stronger shield, etc. So the fusion is logical but you definitely have to get used to it. But it is nice to be able to use some "bad" cards in your deck or adapt to the situation. Also, once you have fused 2 cards, you get a new one that allows you to recharge 1 ammo and draw one card (2 ammo if upgraded) so you don't really waste any card for this action. Definitely a nice character with a lot of potential but it might take a long time and trial and errors to understand how the fusion exactly works.

I do not really know what to think of the Admiral... I have bough him at the beginning to support the devs so I wasn't as experienced in the game as I am now. He doesn't have any special characteristics appart from the special deck with cards that scale their damage based on your amount of coins (at first I though it would scale with the Gold you have but it scales with the coins.). But this really bugs me because it seems only viable if you get the Golden relics (which automatically upgrade certain type of cards when they are added), I don't see how you can win. You have to use coins for upgrades, HP refills and boat reparations... I am not sure but it seems to me that it is scaled to 1 damage up every ~50 coins you have. Also, as you progress, you fill your deck more and more so you have less and less chance to encounter this cards in your hand during combat... If these cards were dealing AOE damage or didn't require Ammo, why not. But there are a lot of other cards that deal as much damage for the same amount of ammo usage. I though that an IAP character might be OP or at least really unique/strong but it doesn't seem to be that way. I will try to make some runs with it to see if there are some special interactions, events or cards again. Who knows, maybe there are some interesting secrets. After all, it is the only "not pirate" character so maybe he does have some privileges.

I am currently playing with the Explorer and boy is it fun! By reading his special characteristics you might already be interested in him. He has 1 more Relic slot but you will fill it anyway with a special one when you begin the run. These special relics are 3 types of scrolls: +2 damage (applies to ranged, melee and skills), +5 Heal at the start of the battle and +3 Rage (3 turns basically) at the beginning of battle (+25% damage). I go for the +2 damage obviously because it can rapidly transform a 5x6 card into 7x6 or even more with some relics.
    And the relics and rewards are exactly what makes this character a cool one. After each battle, you can chose from 4 cards instead of 3. This allows you to get more interesting cards or Relics, and relics are definitely the way to go. It might take multiple tries to get the right relics/cards but I manage to get to the second boss quite easily. I often go for the Battles instead of events if I can because it gives me Coins and potentially strong relics/cards whereas Events are more random and can mess with you or simply make you waste a precious turn.
    His special card is quite a strong one actually because it lets you copy any card in your hand (it become a permanent copy for the battle). With this, you can get the last damage to get a perfect win or protect yourself when really needed. I have not tried it but I think you can also copy a consumable card this way and use it once per combat freely. But at one point you might unlock the "Mirror Image" card which does the same thing but is not discarded afterwards. So technically you could have access to an unlimited number of consumable cards in the combat.

I have still to beat the last boss because every time I get to him, luck is not on my side and I often miss but ennemies often do critical hits... But at least I can get to the second boss and grind some Gold and XP to unlock better and better cards. I don't know if I am just getting better or if these news unlocked cards are helping a lot (probably both) but keep trying and you'll see that it gets easier and easier to advance. If you surrender to the first boss, you can get some easy Gold and XP (Reputation will come along, you don't really have to pay attention to it). If you feel confident enough, you can continue but if you don't beat the second boss, you might not get as much rewards as if you would have stopped your journey before (and you would have "wasted" some time on it). Do not forget that when you go to the second boss, your HP are restored but your boat is not, so be prepared to spend 100 coins on repairs: it always costs that much but get's you to 100% regardless. Maybe the devs will change it so that it is scaled with the amount of repairs you actually need?

Maybe at some point I will try to write a small description of the different bosses and how to approach them efficiently. Because you know right from the start which boss you will face and you have enough time to look for essential cards :)

gvegas66 likes this.