Universal Pirates Outlaws (by Fabled Game)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NyxTowa, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Alex DeLargest

Alex DeLargest Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Male
    USA/France
    Night of the Full Moon didn’t hold my attention. In my opinion, the best (gameplay, depth, no freemium grind) in this genre is Slay the Spire, followed by Dream Quest.

Similar games that have held my interest through at least one play through would be Void Tyrant and Solitairica.

2. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    I really love Pirates Outlaws, I think more than Night of the Full Moon, but if you have a choice, I'd recommend you get the PC version. It's a bigger price up front (I think currently under $20), but then you own the full game and all current and future content at 1 flat price whereas in the mobile version there are lots of IAPs, and the things you can purchase with in-game credit, will require a LOT of grinding.

3. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions! :)

I'll try Pirates Outlaws for a few rounds then to see if it sticks then. But sounds like even with currency unlock, its better but still a grind..

4. Norf

Norf Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2020
    Found out about this game in the thread on Iris and the Giant.

I paid for the multiplier and it is indeed still an insane grind. Given the insane variety of stuff on sale (characters, maps, cosmetics, cards) and the high cost of each it's clearly pushing you towards IAP gold purchases even beyond the multiplier - there are 12 characters whose cost is 8-10k gold each, 5 maps for 5k gold each, approximately 50k worth of upgrades to characters, and each character has 5-20k worth of cosmetics.

25k gold costs $9 in store, and there's a character only available for real money, another $3. I'm guessing my average grind rate is something like 1k gold/hour with the multiplier, that's pretty loose though and may get better as I get better. For the stuff that I want, then, I'm guessing something like 200 hours to unlock all of it. Bleh.

If the base game were something like $3-5 and the in game currency earn was something like 10x higher than currently but the new card unlock rate stayed the same, I'd feel a lot better. Its a fun game at its core and I'd like to like it more, but the IAP and inflated costs for everything give a gross feel when I could be playing Void Tyrants, Iris and the Giant, Slay the Spire, Dead Cells, either Meteorfall, etc.

anthony78 likes this.
  5. Liontech Studios

Liontech Studios Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2020
    Love the art style in this game. Good job.