Universal Pirates Outlaws (by Fabled Game)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NyxTowa, Mar 6, 2019.

1. ramzarules

ramzarules Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2014
    Greece
    really enjoying Silent Abyss. I was liking this vibrant art style far more but the total lack of animations put me off. I mean come on, are a couple of attack frames so draining on the development? And n ot even full animation, just an extension of one-two swords/pistols would do superbly...

2. zeroex

zeroex Well-Known Member

May 20, 2014
    Slay the Spire is the best one but it's only on PC. I really like Night of the Full Moon - they've updated it so much since it was originally released and its so much more robust. Tons of cards + characters. Silent Abyss I didn't really like as much because you controlled two characters instead of 1.

3. Taltos

Taltos Member

Dec 9, 2015
    1st Impressions: Up until now there were mobile Slay the Spire clones that were keeping me occupied until StS on mobile happened. Pirates-Outlaws is the first mobile game that I would actually consider to be worthy to keep alongside StS. It utilizes the same gameplay with it's own spin.

+ The art and theme grabbed me right away.
    + The card that made me decide .99 was worth it was the "Bottle-remove from play and place broken bottle in your discard". Instant imagination grabber.
    + 5 play unlockable classes with different playstyles.
    + 3 "maps" with multiple bosses, the 2nd and 3rd being unlockable.
    + A basic ranged/melee formation. Ranged and skills cost ammo, while melee tends to be free but can only target the front.
    - There seems to be way to not pick a card after battle. I get pirates want to grab everything but sometimes we want to keep our decks fighting trim. Perhaps a small gold or renown instead of picking a card after battle.

Real Money: There are several gold purchase options, but only two interesting options. The first is the doubler to speed up game play, and likely worth the money to most players once they try the game. The second is the 6th class, "Admiral" which costs $4.99. For achievement completionists be aware you have to buy him to get all the achievements. In an ideal marketplace I'd love to see 1st map as a demo with the doubler being part of the unlock of the full game but I'm sure the developers had to look at all the options.

*A must-buy for StS/card-rogue/rogue afficiandios*

Son of Anarchy, JasonLL and dukat111 like this.
  4. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Yes, you can. There are six characters with different starting decks, abilities and so on. One of them is iAP-only, the others are unlockable.

Those upgrades look like they’re a one-off purchase (caveat, I haven’t bought any yet, maybe they’re stackable). And most important to note is: you can only buy one health upgrade (+10% max health, which amounts to 5hp) and a 10% discount at the shop. The rest have renown requirements, which means you can’t unlock them before playing the game ANYWAY.

Same thing with the areas - the renown you need to reach to unlock them will take you longer to get than the gold.

dukat111 likes this.
  5. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Then why have gold as a requirement at all? Just forces you to save your gold instead of buying stuff on your runs. To me, again, it has the appearance of a cash grab.

I bought the game but don’t like the way gold is used for these types of things.

6. hellscaretaker

hellscaretaker Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    Im a youtube gamer/streamer
  7. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Just to reiterate a point: the coins you make *inside* a run are NOT gold. Gold is awarded for completing a run. I played about 8 runs last night, choosing to end after the first boss. I went to section two twice and haven’t even SEEN section 3+. I have about 300 gold; without the doubler.

8. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Looks like a cash grabber from the comments. Will wait for some more impressions before i try this one.

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Except that it’s really not.

rich1574 and sugimulm like this.
  10. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

I would agree with Echo. It’s a roguelike, so death is common, but you earn coins after each round, even if you die. To be fair, I feel like the coins and doubler are for ones who want to rush and finish. I am enjoying this one a lot, still undecided to buy the doubler, only because I don’t mind the grind and I mean that loosely.

11. Taltos

Taltos Member

Dec 9, 2015
    I can see how that would confuse people. If they called inside gold "booty" or outside gold "doubloons" it would be make it easier for the player to understand the difference.

12. gvegas66

gvegas66 Active Member

Jan 11, 2017
    So ultimately does a full run go through all chapters in one go, ala Slay the Spire?

13. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Not sure how StS goes, but it sure sounds like it. You go through a chapter which ends with a boss and have the option of ending the run there or attempting chapter two and so on. I think there are 3 chapters on the first map, who knows how many on the second and third.

Those bosses, like the islands, are randomised though, which makes it hard to plan too far ahead.

I’m not too sure what the benefits of ending a run after a single chapter are, compared to continuing for a few more battles - even if you lose.

gvegas66 likes this.
  14. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Or they could just do away with gold all together and make unlocks available with your progression like any other game.

What makes people question is that it LOOKS like a money grab.

15. aconfusedkender

aconfusedkender Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2012
    Oil & Gas
    Kendermore, Ansalon
    Look it’s fun as hell imo and quick enough to not be frustrating. There are some little gimmicky things in my opinion but all but admiral can be unlocked via gold over time. There’s 336 cards to unlock...so it’ll take many many runs anyways. Hopefully the dev takes off or lowers some of the requirements. If they don’t then I can see how some will not want to get it. I’ll wait and see what they do. Until then I’m gonna keep shooting scallywags!!!

16. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    #36 Gwarmaxx, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    i'm also enjoying it a lot, but can't understand that percentage on the first zone pic selection, under its name... i've run it 15/20 times, beaten the boss a couple of times, and i'm only at 3%... what does it mean?

17. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    “Money grab”? Call it what you will but It’s not a conspiracy. Devs are forced to offer content ala carte in order to be competitive. I am no fan of iap’s, but everything in this game is fair and reasonable. Not everything on the AppStore is a scam.

18. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I think it’s how much content (I.e. the events, enemies and such) that you’ve seen. Mine is sitting absurdly low too.

By the way, when you say you beat the boss - do you mean the first boss? Have you tried continuing to the second area?

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  19. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    ......ummmm take slay the spire!!!!!?
    The rest are knock offs. But I know what you mean. Btw for StS as a blatant knock off, check out royal booty quest.

20. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    So 5,000/300*8 = 133 games (of that length) to unlock the second area.

That’s pretty firmly heading towards “f*ck that” levels of grind for me.

And, whilst i am enjoying the gameplay, I am not impressed by the gold awards I’m receiving - 6 after my last (unspectacular) run.

Yeah, this is a good game.

Yeah, I think concerns about the role of iaps and the potential for this to be an unending grindfest w/o IAP are reasonable.