Universal Pirates Outlaws (by Fabled Game)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NyxTowa, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    I bought the doubler and I'm sitting at about 7000 repute now, so it's definitely doable (to attain 3500+/ 4000)
    Advancement-wise, I'm 92% complete with the first world , haven't unlocked other worlds yet (But at 5000 gold, it's not that hard)
    I've unlocked all heroes (The cursed pirate gameplay is GREAT !)

Honestly, buy the doubler. It's worth it, and it supports the dev.. I mean, it's cheaper than a glass of booze at your local pub.

Strength-wise, the melee hero is the easiest (for me) to get & conquer 3rd island - most of the times, I can make it.
    Then, the explorer (The ability to better setup a strategy makes it much easier to adapt & get a good deck)
    Then, all the other heroes (I still need to get a firmer grasp on the cursed pirate)

2. kitkeat

kitkeat Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2011
    I’ve just unlocked the cursed captain too. Boy, his mechanic really is interesting. Playing around the curse and the limitation of your hand size. Haven’t found a nice strategy but something tells me he will synergizes well with cycling through your cards and stacking armor. Perhaps spike armor build. Hmmmm. So far I enjoy explorer the most. Anyone unlocked the admiral yet? $$$ character haha

3. EmilianoDTH

EmilianoDTH Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2019
    Male
    #243 EmilianoDTH, Mar 20, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2019
    I want to try this game, but... is any other fun in this game besides dragging cards to enemies and watch them being damaged ?

I'm not trying to be mean, i just don't find the fun in that.

Edit: I also read there is no multiplayer in the game, so honestly I don't get why theres so much people talking about this game :s

4. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Yes.

HTH HAND.

5. wonderbear

wonderbear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    I am all in favor of supporting the developer too. I have not bought the doubler yet because I was stuck in the mentality that as an IAP it should be an optional purchase and that gameplay should be fine with just the original purchase and not need IAP to make it balanced. As such, I wanted to play the game as is first and then see whether I needed the doubler. Still not sure I want to buy the doubler yet (still assessing my progression rate), but I did purchase the Admiral to support the dev and have the full game available.

I have yet to play the Admiral. Too busy trying to get to the third boss with my other two characters!

As has been expressed by others earlier, I would have purchased this game for $5+ outright in the beginning without needing buy all sorts of IAP, but I get that the dev has their own plan on how to make a living!

6. PapaT

PapaT Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    UK
    I guess it’s because they bought it and enjoyed it.
    Give it a go; for 99p - you may be surprised.

7. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    Daft question: is there any benefit to where an enemy is in front of you, other than that you can hit the front buggers with melee?

There seem to be so many ways of changing rank order / position, yet I’m deeply unconvinced that any of them are any use at all.

8. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Well maybe, like me, some of us have no online friends so we enjoy single player games :p

9. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    The following is speculation on my part as I haven’t tested any of it:

I *think* there is a hidden positioning system in the game; where some enemies do more damage closer, some do less.

The only (anecdotal) example I have of this is when I pulled a boss closer (the one drinking from a tankard that you can destroy) and his damage went up and killed me.

I was wondering about this too, though I haven’t experimented or played around with it at all yet. I might pay some more attention in the next few runs...

10. sugimulm

sugimulm Well-Known Member

Barricade card freezes the game, makes unplayable

11. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I can think of little worse than playing other people.

No, thank you.

If I could play against my Labrador... now *that* would be a different proposition.

It'd have to be a game involving bins, though. Open bins, closed bins, sheer glorious treasure, and the possibility of being told off.

Talbs likes this.
  12. Skvar

Skvar Active Member

Mar 26, 2014
    Okay this game rocks. Just some notes.

Sword Master is the easiest to beat all 3 islands. Playing tips.
    1: Kick, hook and other positioning cards deal 3 xtra dmg when they run the target into immovable objects be it the outer walls or anchored enemies. If it is an enemy they both get the 3 dmg.

2: Buy the first pack for the boxing glove relic and the rock skill. It turns you into a killing machine. Multi hit melee attacks such as whirlwind and flurry get +1 added to the multiplier with this.

3: No ranged, remove your first shoot card and never look back.

Good cards to have as Sword Master:
    Iron hook: can target any enemy pulling them closer.
    Predict: upgraded Gives 2 dodge, replace a agility card, free cost
    Toast: last card played on yourself to get rid of pesky status effects, or first if you can’t place dodge on yourself, or in some situations use it on the enemy.
    Swordsmanship: Awesome card, used with Greed, excavate, and salvage to run through your deck causing mayhem.
    Mirror Image: so much power, who needs the explorer. Free cost copy of any card. Reload, salvage, greed.
    Melt shield. Worth it even not upgraded. Boss with 50 armor, no problem, one bullet not upgraded, free when upgraded.
    Rock: +3/5 melee dmg. :)
    Great melee cards, bayonet charge, Booster Strike(these two cards get stronger as the battle goes on), hilt blow(dodge) and multi strike cards.

Pepper relic with greed and double edge really can move through your deck fast as well. If you get double edge it does 2dmg but if your health is low you usually are getting the 2 health back in regeneration.

In general cycle your deck. Grab relics even if you do not need them, sell them to upgrade other cards.

Quick note on the Curse captain.
    Use the shovel and Mirror image. You can get more curses and copy them or the shovel. Or the reloads because he is a bullet hog.

Oh yeah... dig twice losing some hit points for the stone artifact. Later if lucky use it in the wall in the cave before entering... Sooo worth it.

Off to play some more.

dukat111, PapaT, Lull4by and 2 others like this.
  13. kitkeat

Jul 11, 2011
    i think i might take a break from curse captain, I'm sure I'll be able to find out how to use him properly in the future. so far my furthest was 2nd map 2nd island... how to balance between having unplayable curse on your draw (5 card limit) while having them in your deck to power up your other skill cards. I know you can use 1 of the skill card to discard all of the curses on hand and redraw that as many but would that be worth having them in for a few points of extra power? i suppose you still have the curse effect when you start the battle due to his trait though.. hmmm

I've decided to support the devs further since this is the game that i played the most in recent weeks by buying the Admiral. Kaching power! I enjoy the bling blingness so far... this is the first time i do this (apart from other card games where i do buy expansion such as Ascension, Neuroshima hex). Games like kingdom rushes with the IAP heroes, i never really bothered..

14. kitkeat

Jul 11, 2011
    Also if not mistaken, 2nd world, one of the card I’ve unlocked was that it deals more damage the further away the target is. I’m assuming the furthest from the left. Mostly I think as of now, positioning is for them to hide behind, like the brute who carries a massive cannon, if you don’t deal with him, 3-4 turns later. Massive kaboom! 25 damage. Always nasty. Maybe 3rd world has other mechanics like Hearthstone? Gives buff to card besides it. No idea yet.

15. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
    The Cursed captain is actually very, very powerful - I've played with him a few times so far since I unlocked him.
    The key is to keep a small deck and play as much as possible draw cards - any draw.
    Shovel is a great weapon to play with him otherwise.

kitkeat likes this.
  16. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
  17. Laenor

Laenor Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2013
    Paris, France
  18. wonderbear

wonderbear Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    Another change I would love to see is to have the actions in the events be randomized. For example, the path through the cave seems to always be the same with the same outcome. I wish it was a little less formulaic.

19. Quoad

Quoad Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2015
    There’s at least two paths. Keep trying!

wonderbear likes this.
  20. BlueTrin

BlueTrin Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2012
    The third boss is really hard. Cannot manage to beat her