Piracy is getting worse...

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Psychonaut, Oct 26, 2009.

1. jaikben

jaikben Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I need to jailbreak, to make the phone sim free, Apple should get their act together and sell sim unlocked phones. I cannot back up any numbers but I now a lot of people that JB are doing is for the sim unlock stuff.

2. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Yeah, or even having more than 5 pages of apps.

3. jonlink

jonlink Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Sasquatch
    Japan
    I told myself I wouldn't look in this dang thread again, but I did and I can't let this gross misstatement stand.

"a violation of the iPhone end-user license agreement" does not make anything illegal in anyway whatsoever. It is a breach of contract and nothing more. What's more, it has been strongly argued, though not in court yet, that this contract isn't even legally binding in the first place.

Also, "deny service" means that they refuse to fix the iPhone or iPod even if it has a warranty, even if you pay. It says nothing about carriers, which is not even under Apple's control, nor does it say anything at all about iTunes accounts. I don't understand if you are confused or just lying.

4. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    It doesn't say anything about denying at all, including fixing.

So it opens up to as many asumptions as we want, including yours. iTunes is an Apple service, so account shutdown seems very realistic. Carrier shutdown could make sense as a GPRS/3G service is directly bound to the phone itself, at least in some countries.

Now as everything I wrote are indeed speculations about how Apple could help, the fact that you are returning here to mass-deny every word I'm putting about piracy punishment could soon make me believe that you are feeling danger from those perspectives we're arguing.

Except for this activation thing, why do you care so much ?

5. jonlink

jonlink Well-Known Member

May 26, 2009
    Sasquatch
    Japan
    Here is what you posted (I've added bolding):
    What I don't see anywhere is anything about "accounts."

What's more you've contradicted yourself, first saying, "It's a fact. Denying service can include carrier shutdown, iTunes account termination and of course warranty shutdown." And now claiming we are both making assumptions. I'm not making any though. I am simply saying that you are wrong about your "facts." I say that strictly because your supporting link doesn't support any of your claims.

Why? Are you thinking of going on a witch hunt?

I don't have a jailbroken iPhone or iPod myself. I jailbroke my iPod a long while back and found that it wasn't as stable, so I went back to a standard setup.

The reason I care is that you are just making stuff up and then using your own made up things to support new things you make up. That is frustrating to see.

I'm not denying everything you write, but I am pointing out that some of it isn't true. I've never argued with you that piracy isn't bad. I've only ever implied that your ideas are half-baked and a would accomplish only one thing: harming the paying customer.

Ok. Clearly this is a never ending battle and it seems to be getting personal, so I'll leave it here. I won't let myself look at this thread. But I seriously hope people don't believe what you are writing and presenting as "fact."

6. c0re

c0re Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Notice the "can" keyword next to each of the facts you're pointing to.

"can" means that it could be possible. Not that it is a reality.

This is good that you're sharpening the overall possible solutions by bringing some counter-arguments, but please don't forget I'm just exploring the scenarii here.

7. jimglidewell2

jimglidewell2 New Member

Nov 26, 2009
    This is quite clearly an ad hominem attack.

One can certainly take exception to your speculations without having some sort of guilty conscience.

What exactly are you trying to imply about his motivations?

Maybe he prefers to deal in facts, rather than speculation.

8. jimglidewell2

jimglidewell2 New Member

Nov 26, 2009
    I think that "half-baked" is being generous. But you have hit the nail on the head - as a paying customer (who has purchased well over 300 apps) I find that a lot of the proposals that are being put forth would have an adverse impact on my fully-allowed-by-the-license-agreement uses of apps.

The cavalier approach to impacting paying customers is appalling to me, as someone who works in IT and has a customer support role as part of my job.

Implementing a non-intrusive and non-impacting copy protection scheme requires technical skill and fine attention to detail. I don't see that here.

9. softak

softak Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    I have non JB phone with 8 pages of apps, what I am doing wrong?
    I think current limit is 10 (not 5)

10. softak

softak Well-Known Member

May 4, 2009
    I think you can buy iPhone, which is not locked to operator (it will cost more then $200, because it is full price)

11. Eric5h5

Eric5h5 Well-Known Member

11, actually. Definitely not anything like 5; it used to be 9 before OS 3.0.

--Eric